Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Impulse buying an new Graphics card, good performance for a good price.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Akyho

Hallo there, I have like maybe 2 hours before I am going to be in a shop trying to buy a graphics card, this was a thought that came to me and with my current Card starting to struggle I thought I best jump at the chance before I put it off too long and never do it.

My Budget is £350 at max and I am looking to buy an Nvidia card to replace my Nvidia GTX 680 4GB which came out in 2012. So in theory any cards should do we me well, I just need a little more guidance such as do I go for a cheaper last gen 900 series card than the new 1000 series, or should I go for the 1060? or if I can get for a similar price just go for the 980? As the 1060 is in that range both in performance and price currently. Or if I can just jump up to the 1070?

These are my thoughts is was the right ground, I do not plan to spend a ton of cash and if I can save were I can save thats cool. However I am planning to try and get asmuch of a boost in performance in moderns games as I can as I am feeling my rig hit a wall.

Back up info on my computer is.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Display Memory: 4037 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1989 MB

Shared Memory: 2048 MB

CPU is

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can get a 1070 for your budget i would go with that, otherwise get thd 1060 as im certain 900 series will be gimped in the future with driver updates.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1070s seem to be coming in at around £440 right now, which might be a bit too sharp price-wise.

1060s are £200 cheaper...

£350 should get you a 980ti (he said, wincing, a year after spending £600 on one) but, like @oursin_360 says, I'd definitely recommend a current model Nvidia card.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: @dave_tacitus: Yeah I am thinking I am good with a 1060 unless a great price for somthing else happens like...I dunno £150 for 980 or £350 for an in stock 1070.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't bother with a 900 series. Even if you can get a 980 for a few bucks less than a 1060, you still have to power the thing and the 1060 uses less.

If you can hold off, I'd save up for the 1070. Price should eventually start going down. (I've had one in my Amazon list for the past few weeks and it's gone down 15% since I stuck it on there. Still over $400 USD, but once it hits $400 on the dot, I'm pulling the trigger). $250 USD for a 1060 is nice, but I want to go to 1440p.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.