Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

In the mood to build....a PC

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I had planned to build a PC last year or early this year, but the crazy prices really disrupted that idea. I have two immediate system that are on teh table; one for myself and one for work. The work one is where I have a question, I just want a gut check.

This business machine will be scanning and rendering images. Its not the toughest workload, but ist is more than just running MS word or browsing teh web. I have on hand a GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card to paired with a Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor I could buy. Or, I can buy a Ryzen 3 2200G that has Integrated Vega Radeon Vega 8.

****AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core ProcessorAMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Lowest Price$149.89 $98.79
    Rating
    ManufacturerAMDAMD
    Part #YD150XBBAEBOXYD2200C5FBBOX
    Data Width64-bit64-bit
    SocketAM4AM4
    Operating Frequency3.5GHz3.5GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency3.7GHz3.7GHz
    Cores44
    L1 Cache4 x 64KB Instruction4 x 64KB Instruction
    4 x 32KB Data4 x 32KB Data
    L2 Cache4 x 512KB4 x 512KB
    L3 Cache2 x 8MB1 x 4MB
    Lithography14 nm14 nm
    Thermal Design Power65 Watts65 Watts
    Includes CPU CoolerYesYes
    Simultaneous MultithreadingYesNo
    Integrated GraphicsNoRadeon Vega 8

So, which would handle 'graphics' and 'compute' better? Just my rough guess says the Vega 8 in the 2200G would be more powerful even if it was sharing system RAM, right? I'm not off base on that....? My assumption is that if I have above 8 GB of fast RAM, and if I cool the chip well, that Ryzen 3 2200G would be better.

Avatar image for yasserindiegames
    YasserIndieGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i think AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor because it has

Integrated GraphicsRadeon Vega 8
    chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By chrjz

Since you already have the 760 I would recommend using that paired with the 1500X. I think the 760 is faster with it's only hindrance being that it's not exactly modern hardware anymore. The 1500X will be better in CPU power alone.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I would go with the discrete card, not a graphics chip, and the Ryzen 1500X. Why would you think otherwise? That's not a smartass question, I'm genuinely curious to know if the 2200G/Onboard chip has any advantage over a 1500X/GTX 760?

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By chrjz

@justin258: I was wondering what was leading them to them to favour the 2200G as well...

Also, you can get a Ryzen 5 2600 for only $15 more than the 1500X if it's in the budget.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Thank you @chrjz for actually having a reasoning to back your thinking. I'll use the 760, see how much more life is in it I guess.

The rest of the system has to be as cheap as I can make it, it not an issue of CPU alone...cost of mobo, ram, etc must be taken into account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.