Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Intel Cpu's could lose up to 30% speed due to security flaw(Chips from the last decade apparantly)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OurSin_360
    Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious how many/which chips are actually vulnerable, seems like its a specific design flaw so probably just a few generations and not even all CPUs in those generations. I hope 8th gen isn't impacted by this I'm about to start building out an 8th gen system

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Apparently all Intel CPUs from the past decade are affected. Anyone who is looking to start an Intel build should at least wait until the Windows patch comes out and see how performance is affected, although the gaming performance on Linux doesn't seem affected so far.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OurSin_360

Yeah it's a core design flaw so it is all cpus from the last decade or so, i have an i5 6600k right now. :-(

I am reading now that it may not affect games that much so hopefully thats true.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I guess I'll add "switch to AMD" to the to-do list since I'm due for a upgrade anyway.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By maxszy

Really hoping its toward the 5% aspect. Otherwise...well, if it affects games I guess I'll be forced the move to AMD.

Hoping it turns out to be a much less ordeal than its being said it could be. There's still not a ton of information so I don't think we'll have the idea of what ramifications it turns out to be for a bit yet.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got a new pc, the ironic thing is its the first time i went with intel.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nycnewyork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: What would it be replaced with? this is not a care, it will be years before a valid replacement comes out.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Cameron

Just so no one freaks out too much, this is a much bigger problem for enterprise services than it is for normal users. The exploit involves context switching between user programs and the OS kernel. I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read games don't do much (or any) of this, so the fix is unlikely to effect gaming performance very much, if at all. If you're running a server with several virtual machines, you might see that 30% hit in specific tasks, but that's far from what most regular computer users will experience. We'll have to wait for all the patches to roll out before we can know exactly how this effects performance, but it doesn't sound like it will be a big deal for gamers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.