Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Is this a decent pc for games?

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chris758

putting together a pc for my first time, dont really know much but gunna try anyway

any suggestions much appreciated

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

Lite-On Internal DVD Writer

Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower

Kingstons HyperX Blu Hs Desktop memory - 4gb http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=708908&sku=K24-8816

Western Digital Blue 500GB (7200 RPM, 16MB Cache)

Ultra LSP550 WATT SUPPLY

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=106&name=Power-Supplies&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computer%20Parts-_-Spot%2013

EVGA Geforce GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 Video Card

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501123&Sku=E145-0650

for a total around 600 bucks, dont really wanna spend much more then that.. let me know if im missing anything or need to change anything also im ordering of canadian websites as i live in canada. looking for something that play videos games but dont wanna spend a ton of money.

cheers

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

It's decent, yes. Solid mid-range PC, definitely better than current consoles. I won't go into "don't get this version of this HDD, get this one", but I would go for at least a 660 Ti, which is not that much more expensive than a 650, but much better performance-wise. 4GB more wouldn't hurt either, but not really that necessary for mid-range PC gaming.

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chris758

@JoeyRavn: Thanks for the suggestion!

this is the only 660 i see on tigerdirect.ca

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501133&Sku=E145-0667

this will work eh?

thanks for replyin!

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

@JoeyRavn said:

It's decent, yes. Solid mid-range PC, definitely better than current consoles. I won't go into "don't get this version of this HDD, get this one", but I would go for at least a 660 Ti, which is not that much more expensive than a 650, but much better performance-wise. 4GB more wouldn't hurt either, but not really that necessary for mid-range PC gaming.

All of this, and I further the recommendation of going with 8 gigs of RAM. Your OS eats a lot more than you'd think. Also, I have a 660 Ti (MSI Overclocked) and think it's pretty good. Not great. And it's more than twice as much as your planned 650. I'd rather wait it out for the next generation of Nvidia tech (which is supposedly pretty soon) and catch a price drop.

Iron_Guard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Iron_Guard

That's very similar to my computer (same cpu, gpu, hd and case) and I play everything on high or better. Maybe consider getting 8gb of ram as it's so damn cheap.

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chris758

@Iron_Guard: ill definitely go with the 8 gb of ram then as its not much more

thanks!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

@chris758: I guess it's OK. It's a reference model, but from EVGA, which is a good brand. I don't know if it's expensive or not, though, since the whole Canadian buck to Euro conversion is mind-boggling :P

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By chris758

@JoeyRavn: ahh thanks for the help,! i was just gunna buy one but i think it will be more fun to build one :)

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jams

@JoeyRavn said:

@chris758: I guess it's OK. It's a reference model, but from EVGA, which is a good brand. I don't know if it's expensive or not, though, since the whole Canadian buck to Euro conversion is mind-boggling :P

It's not a Ti though. I'd recommend getting a beefier GPU like the 660Ti or even going for the 5XX series cards if they're cheaper. They're still DX11 and you might be able to get a little more power for less. The reason for that is the new consoles are supposed to be coming out this year, so having something that can hand new generation console games would be a plus.

Infinityslimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Infinityslimit

Yeah 660 ti is what I'm rocking, great card. Playing the Crysis 3 beta on everything set to very high, it's melting my eyes with goodness lol.

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chris758

what can i upgrade ths one to make it a bit better without spending a ton, also on tigerdirect i see u can buy ur own build it ur self kit, how are they? thing is i dont know anyting baout what im putting together jsut going off suggesiton and what im reading online

cheers

Mr402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mr402

I highly suggest you look at your budget then go to either Toms Hardware or Maximum PC's websites and look up their build lists. My suggestion is to wait to build. Save your money till your around 800 dollars. Go with a better cpu my suggestion is I5-3570k and video card like the 660ti or 7950 radeon which ever one is chaper. This will give you the performance you are expecting. Plan on 8 gigs of ram. Make sure you budget a OS purchase which will be 99 bucks. You will also be buying a after market cpu cooler. Hyper 212 evo is cheap and excllent. The extra time spent shopping while you save will give you better insight into what you want and save you money. I hate to say it but I think you are underestimating what you will be spending. Good luck regardless.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Nikoran

You might want to up the HDD to 1TB maybe 2TB. Games are getting larger and soon 500GB won't be enough.

Apart from that, it's a pretty good PC.

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chris758

@Mr402: hey thanks for the suggestion, i am actually saving up a bit more, i tihnk my budget will be around 900, ill check out those website as well ,

im going to go with abetter graphics card, cpu n ram ,.. is this mother board decent or should i go with something a bit more better?

i am also thinking about just picking all the cheaper parts in the next week n buying the more expensive parts in a few weeks jsut to kind of get it together.. ?

iv never built a computer before and id rather spend more n make it worth it,

if u get any more suggestions i would appreciate it ! thanks

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Irishdoom

I think that Mobo is fine. You can stick an FX-6300 in it, which is a GREAT CPU for the price.

I'd also suggest going with at least 8 GB of RAM, and perhaps a bigger HDD. It depends on how many games you want to be able to have installed at once.

Also, make SURE you get a good power supply, do not skimp on that. Get a Corsair or maybe a SeaSonic. Wattage isn't as important as RELIABLE power. A Corsair 600w will be better than some unknown brand 750w, for instance.

You could also consider a Radeon card, the 7850 is a great value, and you can get the new "never settle" bundle that will net you Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

chris758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chris758
    Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Irishdoom

@chris758: That's one of them, yes. I've been tempted by this offer myself just for the minor upgrade and 2 free games. I'm currently running a 6950.

chrish758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrish758

@irishdoom: hey so im getting ready to buy everything and im looking at graphics card i dont really understand the description i do want one with bioshock as im looking forward to playing i was going to go with the link i pasted before

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

but as i look other website i see so many close to this and dont know which is better or worse

if any one has time to take a look at this n let me know what i should buy id appreciate it :)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&sel=Detail%3B229_176_68682_68682

also my first post of what im gunna buy isnt a lot better ill post everytihng after i find out the right graphics card

cheers

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By fox01313

Looks good though you might be wanting to upgrade the video card soon (I also have a 1 gb card to need to be upgraded) but overall finding that it works quite well for things like Far Cry 3 & Saints Row 3 on pc. GLHB!

chrish758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chrish758
    Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dauthi693

I'd also suggest going with at least 8 GB of RAM

Also, make SURE you get a good power supply, do not skimp on that. Get a Corsair or maybe a SeaSonic. Wattage isn't as important as RELIABLE power. A Corsair 600w will be better than some unknown brand 750w, for instance.

You could also consider a Radeon card, the 7850 is a great value, and you can get the new "never settle" bundle that will net you Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite.

Just to repeat the above

8GB of RAM

DON'T skimp on the PSU would say something like Cosair CX600M is a good starting point.

As for a GPU http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5400619&CatId=7387.

chrish758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chrish758

@dauthi693: hey thanks for the advice still not sure abut the grahpics card but ill list a few other things im getting

Intel i5 3570k http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

Kingston Hyper X beast 8 GB (might go for 16 ) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104362

cooler master mid tower http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

Lite on 24x dvd writer http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106352

xfx double d fx-785a - cdfc radeon hd 7850 2gb 256-bit gddr5 pci express 3.0 x 16 hdcp ready crossfirex support videocard http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609

Power Supply Cosair CX600M

Asus p8z777 -v lk lga 1155Z77 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

this is what i got so far any changed or suggestions be appreciated ill probably got with a 1 or 2 tb harddrive

cheers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.