Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Let's Build a PC? Please...

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Doctorchimp

UPDATE 2:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So I pretty got most of the PC in terms of budget. I'm on track to get this PC going for right around 1500.

PC budget

Intel i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77 V-Pro, EVGA GTX 670 FTW $928.18

Estimated Price of everything else.

HAF 932

Corsair 16 GB Vengeance

Corsair Power Supply 850w

Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Black

Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212

$573.32

Total so far.

$1501.50

That's without counting 2 monitors I'll nab over the summer, and an extra hard drive to run Mac OS X off of. Those I'll buy slowly though one after another.

I was thinking of dropping down from the 850 to the 750. Is 750 still enough? Or am I better off just grabbing the 850?

Also if any of you guys are running something similar, let me know how the heat is.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

It turns out Micro Center is running a deal where if I get an i5 3570k then I'll get the Asus P8Z77-V Pro for 170 dollars.

Is that enough of a deal to skip out on getting the i7 3770k? I'd be saving like 150 dollars all together. I'm not too sure what sort of advantages I would get from a better mother board. But stepping down from the i7 seems like it would hurt. Does anyone know if the deal would with an i7 3770k?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JCTango

@Doctorchimp: I don't have much advice on the other hardware questions you posed, but you can't go wrong with that HAF 932 case - that's what I have :). It has really good airflow and space for your system.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Bollard

850W will do ya unless you're looking to SLI later on, and even then you might get away with it.

I'm partial to an Asus Sabertooth if you're looking for a good priced but fully featured Mobo, and they do most socket types. Otherwise your build sounds solid. If you can afford it get the i7 but multithreading in games is still poor so you won't miss much with the i5.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

The i5 will handily run every modern game (provided you've got the graphics card to back it up). I'd probably skip the i7 and bask in the savings unless you're more into video editing than you are into games.

Since you live with cats, get in the habit of cleaning your case regularly. Sheddy animals are second only to tobacco smoke for getting all up in your components.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

@JCTango said:

@Doctorchimp: I don't have much advice on the other hardware questions you posed, but you can't go wrong with that HAF 932 case - that's what I have :). It has really good airflow and space for your system.

Does it get hot where you live? I'm also looking at the HAF X now too because of the dust filters. Also I can't just go stock fans right? What sort of cooler do I need to buy?

@Chavtheworld said:

850W will do ya unless you're looking to SLI later on, and even then you might get away with it.

I'm partial to an Asus Sabertooth if you're looking for a good priced but fully featured Mobo, and they do most socket types. Otherwise your build sounds solid. If you can afford it get the i7 but multithreading in games is still poor so you won't miss much with the i5.

Yeah I ended up getting the P8Z77-V Pro just because I was able to get the deal and ended up buying it for like 160 bucks which is way less than the Sabretooth Z77 that wouldn't get that deal. Apparently it's the same board, except the sabretooth has thermal armor right? I kind of bought the motherboard blind and was pretty stoked when looking online and people saying those are the two to get from Asus.

Also I hit a snag I didn't think would be a problem. I thought I bought the Asus gtx 670 last week from Newegg, a couple days ago they regretted to inform me that demand was higher than expected and refunded everything to me. So now unless I want to buy one from some dude on Amazon for 500 dollars I'll have to go with a different manufacturer.

Should I just wait for more Asus 670's to show up or 680's (whichever shows up first) or just get this one.

EVGA is good right?

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Rohok

I wouldn't let you download that stupid game on my PC either.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By JCTango

@Doctorchimp said:

@JCTango said:

Does it get hot where you live? I'm also looking at the HAF X now too because of the dust filters. Also I can't just go stock fans right? What sort of cooler do I need to buy?

It doesn't get insanely hot up here usually - only during the summers. You can put in your own dust filters if you're worried about dust getting into the HAF 932. The other cool thing about this case is the fan sizes - you can choose to use the large ones instead of multiple smaller ones if you're a fan of low noise cooling systems - you'd still get pretty good air flow with this set up as well.

I wouldn't recommend going stock cooling for your system, even if you aren't planning to overclock - i7's and the like get pretty hot. I like Noctua's air cooling systems. Get one of those and use some nice thermal paste like arctic silver or something like that - just don't put too much of it on your plates.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bollard

@Doctorchimp: EVGA is fantastic, 10 year warranty (Y)

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By stenchlord

EVGA FTW Edition is a fantastic card and it'll likely be just as good an OCer as the ASUS. If you can get it also consider the Gigabyte Windforce, it's been a ripper in the benchmarks and the three fans means it stays super cool while being silent even under load.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

@stenchlord said:

EVGA FTW Edition is a fantastic card and it'll likely be just as good an OCer as the ASUS. If you can get it also consider the Gigabyte Windforce, it's been a ripper in the benchmarks and the three fans means it stays super cool while being silent even under load.

Well from the benchmarks and super crazy PC forums I've been lurking on people were directly comparing the FTW 670 to the Asus 670 DCII top. And they were pretty even, like they would alternate between games being 1 higher frame average than the other one.

Except people were giving the edge to EVGA because that Asus card has all sorts of problems right now, where it's like a 50/50 shot it looks like whether it will function.

So I should be getting it Saturday from amazon. (Newegg is cool, but fuck taxes right?)

Then from there I hit the home stretch. I think I'll redo this post too with some more direct questions about building. Along with what I spent so far and numbers. Cause budgets right? Those are important?

@Chavtheworld: Well that sounds fantastic, cause I bought it and now I'm scared.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bollard

@Doctorchimp: Building is the fun part duder :D I can't wait till I get the chance to build another PC.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Chavtheworld said:

@Doctorchimp: Building is the fun part duder :D I can't wait till I get the chance to build another PC.

Picking parts and researching and thinking about this thing has been pretty great.

I'm not at all excited for building. Thermal paste, cooling, fan set-ups, stripping screws. I'm actually getting a friend to come over to help build when I have everything. Another set of hands to keep things steady and to calm stuff down, cause if I rely on my brother helping expensive things might get broken since the dude doesn't like me bossing him around...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bollard

@Doctorchimp: Fair fair, well best of luck!

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stenchlord

@Doctorchimp said:

@stenchlord said:

Well from the benchmarks and super crazy PC forums I've been lurking on people were directly comparing the FTW 670 to the Asus 670 DCII top. And they were pretty even, like they would alternate between games being 1 higher frame average than the other one.

Except people were giving the edge to EVGA because that Asus card has all sorts of problems right now, where it's like a 50/50 shot it looks like whether it will function.

So I should be getting it Saturday from amazon. (Newegg is cool, but fuck taxes right?)

Then from there I hit the home stretch. I think I'll redo this post too with some more direct questions about building. Along with what I spent so far and numbers. Cause budgets right? Those are important?

@Chavtheworld: Well that sounds fantastic, cause I bought it and now I'm scared.

I own the DCUII Top and my friend owns the FTW, I haven't done any serious overclocking on mine. I haven't even raised it above stock vcore but we've found he's getting better clocks than me. Mine runs quieter and cooler though and in games performance is pretty much identical from what we can tell, we'll likely swap cards at some point though to run some benchs and comparisons.

Perhaps this'll give you an idea of performance.

i7 2700K@4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z, 16GB 1600MHz, 2GB HD6970@950/1450MHz, 128GB Crucial M4 - P6328

i7 2700K@4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z, 16GB 1600MHz, 2GB GTX-670DCUII TOP@1137/1502 (stock OC), 128GB Crucial M4 - P9652

i7 2700K@4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z, 16GB 1600MHz, 2GB GTX-670DCUII TOP@1286/1753 , 128GB Crucial M4 - P10285

Stock 670 is 915/1502

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Doctorchimp: The guy who sits across from me at work has the same Cool Master case. It seems to work well, but the motherfucker is loud. I think he said there was some issue with a heat sink or something, but either way, just be ready for some serious fan noise to kick in when that baby gets going.

Otherwise, good luck! I've been very tempted to build my own PC lately, but I don't think I really know enough to do it yet. Trying to get my research on, on the internets.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp

@stenchlord: Haha including that ATI card is cruel.

They aren't exactly firing on all cylinders right now.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I say ATI\AMD setup. Will ge alot more bang for your buck!

Just realized you already got Intel CPU $300 what a rip off! Unless you do video editing that is total overkill.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I say ATI\AMD setup. Will ge alot more bang for your buck!

Just realized you already got Intel CPU $300 what a rip off! Unless you do video editing that is total overkill.

I'm already well past that part. I have the CPU/MOBO/GPU already.

And yeah, I'm editing. I'll probably be doing more editing than playing games once fall starts.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Ram Wise you probably don't need more than 8 gigs honestly.

EDIT - Just remembered get yourself a pci slot fan too, with cats in the house you'll need it.

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stenchlord

@Doctorchimp: My HD6970 is still a great GPU. It'll still play anything on the market @ 1080p with no issues. I didn't need to upgrade but I wanted to so I did. I'd happily recommend the HD6970 if people can get one cheap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.