Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for a flashy case for cheap

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm going to build a pc for my nephew and he want's it to look like a real gaming pc. He's twelve and saved up for his first PC. He would like it to have red lighting. I would like to spend as little as possible on the case so he can spend the rest on more usefull stuff. Any and all sugestions are welcome.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Someone will likely recommend the NZXT S340. They even have a black version with red accents. I personally found it to be too cramped for me. It's not terrible, I just wasn't comfortable working in it. Unfortunately I don't have an alternative rec; I upgraded to something relatively expensive (Phanteks Entho Evolv ATX). But, I just wanted to point that out since the S340 is pretty popular. If you're doing the building and don't have a problem with that, it can usually be found on sale for around $50.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By GundamGuru

Another option is something with red led fans, like the Corsair Graphite 230T. They run around the same price, and versions exist with mesh/colored side panels.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thatbendorf

What a coincidence, I am also in the process of parting out a PC for my son's (also 12) first PC, and his favorite color is red. This is the one I picked out for him:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAGV3ZM3993

It really is a pretty decent case for $45, but the red interior and two red LED fans are what sold me on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a coincidence, I am also in the process of parting out a PC for my son's (also 12) first PC, and his favorite color is red. This is the one I picked out for him:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAGV3ZM3993

It really is a pretty decent case for $45, but the red interior and two red LED fans are what sold me on it.

Thanks! That one seems like an excellent pick.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Fractal Design Focus G just launched and looks pretty cool for $50. Lots of colors and great specs and build quality for a case of that price range. For under $100, that would probably be my pick.

Remember fans can be added or replaced, with or without RGB, and you can add RGB LED strips to just about any case now and control it as stand-alone lighting with a remote control. A lot of your higher-end gaming motherboards come with RGB headers allowing you to hook up LED strips and fans right to the motherboard and sync it up with included software right from the PC.

Personally, I would spend a bit of money and get a nice case with everything you need and room to spare since you can use cases for a long time. I'd rather spend $150+ on an awesome case and use it for 5-10 years+ rather than getting a budget case and wanting to replace it every time you do a rebuild. A quality case is a good investment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stonyman65: Thanks for the recomandation. Since it is my nephew's first pc and he only has so much to spend on it I'm going cheap. I agree that a good case is a good investement I use a cooler master storm trooper case myself.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

s340 is perfect

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Franstone
    Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As has been mentioned a couple of times, the NZXT S340, while far from perfect, is a nice case. I have one, and I didn't have any trouble building in it, but each build is different. It doesn't seem very well suited for water cooling, so if that's a consideration, you may want to avoid it. I also personally wouldn't classify it is "flashy," or looking like "a real gaming PC," necessarily, so it might not fit in with your nephew's desired aesthetic. In a stock configuration, it's a subdued, minimalist look more than anything. I don't use any lighting in mine, however, so it could scream "gamer" much more obviously with addition of RGB fans or just a straight up lighting kit.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I suppses that dependinbg on what you mean by low price... I'll just assume $50 to under $60.

[Corsair] Carbide Series 88R MicroATX (Just did a build in this $49 case, not fancy, but it's as wire handling areas are good and windowed.)
    [Corsair] Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX ( I did a build in this two years ago it is around $45 now, it was fine...but I'd say the 88R is a tiny bit better)
    [Cooler Master] N200 MicroATX Mini (Did a build in this case lasts fall, it has no window but a decent design for the price.)
    [Deepcool] TESSERACT SW RE (Looks nice enough and is under $40 in the US at Newegg)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.