Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking into a headset. (Astro a40)

theQman121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By theQman121

I'm looking into getting a pair of Astro a40s for myself. I recently got a much cheaper headset and had a few problems with it and am looking into stepping up into a higher quality set. Are these a good choice?

MannyCalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MannyCalavera

I think so, i hear people saying good things about them. Personally i use this Sennheiser headset but i think the A40 are also a good choice.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

I haven't used the A40's, but I can tell you from experience that the Turtle Beach PX5's are awesome.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shirogane

I've been using the A30s for a while, and really like them.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By Mnemoidian

I've been using the Astro A40's for a while now, and I really like them. Will Smith of Tested.com fame had some nice things to say about them a while back as well: http://www.tested.com/news/feature/1554-our-favorite-tech-astro-a40-gaming-headset/

That said, I also got the Mixamp Pro, and have had a ton of issues with that. Headphones are fine, but connecting to the Mixamp causes my the mic to transmit extremely distorted sound... but only when using it with my PC. Connecting it to an Xbox360 or PS3 produces a clear mic sound as well. I've had the Mixamp replaced, several cables replaced, and have spent many hours with their customer support.. with no results.

Conclusion: Headphones are great, but I can't recommend the Mixamp Pro if you are planning to use it with a PC, from personal experience. (and to be clear, you don't need to, as you get a cable for standard 3.5mm headphone/mic jacks with the headset).

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Vodun

@MannyCalavera said:

I think so, i hear people saying good things about them. Personally i use this Sennheiser headset but i think the A40 are also a good choice.

Sennheiser is the shit. I bought a pair of cans like 8 years ago from them that I'm still using.

MannyCalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MannyCalavera

@Vodun said:

@MannyCalavera said:

Sennheiser is the shit. I bought a pair of cans like 8 years ago from them that I'm still using.

That's why i chose them. They've been my favourite audio gear brand for years.

MannyCalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MannyCalavera

@Mnemoidian said:

I've been using the Astro A40's for a while now, and I really like them. Will Smith of Tested.com fame had some nice things to say about them a while back as well: http://www.tested.com/news/feature/1554-our-favorite-tech-astro-a40-gaming-headset/

That said, I also got the Mixamp Pro, and have had a ton of issues with that. Headphones are fine, but connecting to the Mixamp causes my the mic to transmit extremely distorted sound... but only when using it with my PC. Connecting it to an Xbox360 or PS3 produces a clear mic sound as well. I've had the Mixamp replaced, several cables replaced, and have spent many hours with their customer support.. with no results.

Conclusion: Headphones are great, but I can't recommend the Mixamp Pro if you are planning to use it with a PC, from personal experience. (and to be clear, you don't need to, as you get a cable for standard 3.5mm headphone/mic jacks with the headset).

That's really weird, my Mixamp works fine on my pc. Have no idea what's working bad there.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By Mnemoidian

@MannyCalavera: Yeah, spent way too much time (together with Astro's support) looking for the problem. I'm not suggesting it's a common problem, it clearly isn't... and all cases where I've found people with similar symptoms, it has been fixed by replacing the USB->Tx unit usb cable (which Astro's support has done twice for me).

One of the things they suggested, that seems the most likely to me is that for some reason, my Tx unit is in a state of Overcurrent. Which is causing the voice distortion. Seeing how both Tx units I've had have worked for Astro, the issue must be somewhere on my end.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

You don't want to be looking into headsets, they go on your ears!

I also have the Astro A40 headset, I think it's great.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think they're a bit overpriced for what they are. You can get something like the ATH-M50s and a modmic for less. Or even Sennhesier PC350s (which I had for a while, they were like closed HD595s sounded pretty decent) or 360swhich are open instead of closed. I guess it comes down to, do you want better headphones for less or a mix-amp.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.