Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Microsoft Tries Some Psychology..

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HoldSteady828
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ComradeKritstov

I'm sure in a contained environment Vista could seem OK, but unleashed into the wild it's a whole different story.

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nogert

I have Vista, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with, I never crash and I can always find what I'm looking for. What are these problems people are talking about? What do they need to fix because I haven't encountered any of them.

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HoldSteady828

Driver support was terrible at launch, so people were getting a lot of blue screens and random crashes.  Furthermore, a lot of legacy software wouldnt (and still won't) run.

I run vista and for what I need a pc to do, it works great for me.  I can see why gamers that run older games or people that run older, very specific business aps might still be apprehensive about vista. 

I guess the bottom line for XP users is to make sure you do some forum crawling before you make the jump to make sure your favorite game/productivity application will run.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By unclejohnny79

I haven't really had a chance to try vista yet.

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aegis_and_pred
    Tarsier said:
    "That's absolutely retarded, they put out a shite operating system and then trick people into saying good things about it? How about they just make a new one or actually fix the problems and quit being douche bags lol"

ROFL ... classic ... you sir know nothing about psychology ... and i find your ignorace hilarious ...

in response to the Mojave campaign ... this is exactly what vista users have been trying to tell people this entire time ... you can't hate something you've never even tried.  And I find it appauling that people form their opinions based on what someone else says about a product.  Tarsier being a classic example of this ... other people in this thread will now form their opinions of something they have never tried off of one angry retard's comments ... and the avalanche of bull shit commences.  "well I read ... well I heard ... well I thought" real easy to hide behind a computer screen and claim you know everything about something, but when it comes down to it ... the ignorance in the PC market is what is going to drive it into the ground ... and this just proves it.
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By roofy
    Predasus said:
    "Tarsier said:
    "That's absolutely retarded, they put out a shite operating system and then trick people into saying good things about it? How about they just make a new one or actually fix the problems and quit being douche bags lol"

ROFL ... classic ... you sir know nothing about psychology ... and i find your ignorace hilarious ...

in response to the Mojave campaign ... this is exactly what vista users have been trying to tell people this entire time ... you can't hate something you've never even tried.  And I find it appauling that people form their opinions based on what someone else says about a product.  Tarsier being a classic example of this ... other people in this thread will now form their opinions of something they have never tried off of one angry retard's comments ... and the avalanche of bull shit commences.  "well I read ... well I heard ... well I thought" real easy to hide behind a computer screen and claim you know everything about something, but when it comes down to it ... the ignorance in the PC market is what is going to drive it into the ground ... and this just proves it."
    thanks for a thoughtful and productive post.
    i have trouble writing something like that because i get to angry at the ignorant person
    Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vlademir

I think that's kinda pathetic. But so is the sad fact that maybe 90% of people who hate vista haven't even tried it.

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aegis_and_pred
    roofy said:
    "Predasus said:
    "Tarsier said:

in response to the Mojave campaign ... this is exactly what vista users have been trying to tell people this entire time ... you can't hate something you've never even tried.  And I find it appauling that people form their opinions based on what someone else says about a product.  Tarsier being a classic example of this ... other people in this thread will now form their opinions of something they have never tried off of one angry retard's comments ... and the avalanche of bull shit commences.  "well I read ... well I heard ... well I thought" real easy to hide behind a computer screen and claim you know everything about something, but when it comes down to it ... the ignorance in the PC market is what is going to drive it into the ground ... and this just proves it."
    thanks for a thoughtful and productive post.
    i have trouble writing something like that because i get to angry at the ignorant person
    "

heh ... no problem ... but now all I'm waiting for is the crap ton of retorts from people saying "I HAVE TRIED VISTA BLARG BLARG BLARG!!! IT CAME WITH A $300 DELL I BOUGHT ON THE INTERWEBS AND I HATED ITS BLARG BLARG BLARG!!!!" ... lols
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By VACkillers

lol... is this a joke? Vista is okay you have the memory and stuff to run it right....MS are already working on the new OS anyway, i cant see how changing peoples minds will do anything at all

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Tarsier said:
    I completely agree with that 110%, Vista is the worst operating system ever! I went to microsoft.com and looked at the comparison between vista and xp basically goes like this:
    Xp does this Vista does it 100x better
    Xp doesn't have a shity media center Vista does
    Vista owns XP even with its million and one problems!!!
    Only think I like about vista would be AERO!! besides aero i wanna piss on vista and slap myself for shelling out $70 on it.
    And to microsoft, I hate vista why wasnt i invited?
    Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Tiefster

Vista is a great OS.  I didn't like it at first but it is probably the best Windows OS I've used with higher end hardware.  I had a mid-range gaming PC with XP and it was constant messes for some odd reason.  Worst thing to happen to me with Vista so far was when I had to uninstall updates because they were making something spaz and crash everytime I started my PC.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Termite
    Predasus said:
    "Tarsier said:

I wouldn't quite call this a productive post. I agree that people shouldn't diss Vista if they've never tried it, but some of the complaints posed by XP users who HAVE tried Vista are very valid. Certain games simply will not run on Vista without lots of tedious work, and some such as Metal Gear Solid 2 won't run unless you get special hardware.

And I have Vista and am currently using it so don't try your little "I'm going to rant you into the ground" thing on me.
    themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By themoon13

I really don't get the Vista hate. I have it on one of my comps and it is completely fine.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VACkillers

think the problem is, when vista was initially released, people didn't like the idea of switching to a new OS, for stuff like DirectX 10 to play games, when a new OS comes out, theres always this initial "oh god i just got this OS running good now" kind of feeling... only for some reason, a lot of developers and software companys are still feeling like that, so drivers and compatability support has been slow in comming buts its getting to be okay now and people just need to wake up that XP is a VERY old OS to be perfectly honest. I still use XP myself but i have a poor machine lol, i'll be using vista without a doubt soon as im able to upgrade.....

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By timeshero
    VACkillers said:
    "think the problem is, when vista was initially released, people didn't like the idea of switching to a new OS, for stuff like DirectX 10 to play games, when a new OS comes out, theres always this initial "oh god i just got this OS running good now" kind of feeling... only for some reason, a lot of developers and software companys are still feeling like that, so drivers and compatability support has been slow in comming buts its getting to be okay now and people just need to wake up that XP is a VERY old OS to be perfectly honest. I still use XP myself but i have a poor machine lol, i'll be using vista without a doubt soon as im able to upgrade.....
    "
    And that is the reason I hate Apple.
    Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nobility

Sometimes humanity makes me sad.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Colonel_Cool

I read this a few hours ago. I'm an XP user, and honestly, I'm not repulsed by Vista. It has come a long way since launch and is a lot more stable than it was, plus it has a lot of new features over XP. Unfortunately, a few new features and a prettier interface aren't enough to make up for slightly decreased performance in games (gaming is very important to me), and the only thing that would have made me buy it for sure would have been DX10, which so far is very underwhelming. I think I'll stick to my tried and true XP at least until Windows 7 is released.

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By aegis_and_pred

ha ... what'd i tell you?  "i read somewhere in a forum that this one dude had blue screens and his computer blew up and his mom hated it and then it kicked his mom in the shin and ran off!  I HATE VISTA!!!!!" ... gg

or even better ...

"I read somewhere on some forum that vista had a 1% performance loss!!!!!!! THATS LIKE ... A LOT!!!!!!!! OMG!" ... gg #2

Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Martyr
    Tarsier said:
    The point is the people were saying GOOD things about VISTA.  Microsoft was just playing with brand recognition.  I say Vista, you say Crap.  I say Mojave, you say AWESOME!... Well, Mojave is Vista.  Meaning, you aren't giving Vista a chance, and are just calling it crap.

I guarantee you probably haven't even used Vista yourself so why don't you shut your damn mouth.  Personally, I've used Vista since it's launch and I've had a great experience with it, and have had no thoughts of going back to XP.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

FACT: vista works its an amazing operating system and it keeps geting better with each update, each fix its more compatible and runs better, I was aprehensive at first jumping from XP to this laptop im on with vista so much to the point that i was gonna clean install xp pro on it, and when i found out toshiba made no drivers for any of the stuff in it for xp i stuck with vista...and guess what?
    I LOVE IT! every thing i've thrown at it works, and it runs great...so pretty much factually and in reality every one that hates on vista is just being silly the OS is great and it works.

P.S: it runs faster and better then XP ever did for me, the only problem is it needs good specs to do so, which will improve down the line.
    P.P.S: Vistas current problem is just like xp's every one and their brother hated on XP bout its compatibility, and its speed and preformance. and look where we are now with xp?

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By sculsoldi3r

ok...

FACT it only works well for you 
    FACT its the most bugged OS ever, microsoft went in a hiring frenzy after vista was released and needed tech phone people
    FACT xp run 100x than vista ever does
    P.S Vista runs worse than my windows 95
    P.P.S IT DOESENT MATTER WHAT YOU THINK!
    CrazyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrazyGamer

I tried Vista, and a lot of my old PC games would not work. Also firefox on Vista keeps crashing which is very annoying, so I decided to uninstall it, and install XP instead.

What does Vista offer that XP doesn't besides the aesthetics and the extra headache?

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By unclejohnny79

actually thats pretty clever...

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Termite
    unclejohnny79 said:
    "actually thats pretty clever...
    "
     I know, I didn't expect them to do something like this but it sort of made me laugh. Been a while since a companies tactics actually brought a smile to my face.

And to Predasus, dude you've got to chill out. Your only blog post is a rant that seems to be writen in all bold letters, while every single forum post by you that I've seen is just a hateful flame comment directed towards some other party. While I agree that Vista isn't as bad as people make it out to be, your going about it the entirely wrong way.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VACkillers

Only issue i've personally experienced with vista, is :
    1) You need a good machine to run it right (which i dont right now lol)
    2) I dont know which one it was, but one of the updates screwed around with my onboard sound card, RealTek AC97, and now i cannot get it to work, and i've tried everything except a fresh install which im not going to do right now

Edit :  I struggled to get Battlefield 2 to run without crashing.. only game i had issues with

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By chililili
    VACkillers said:
    "Only issue i've personally experienced with vista, is :
    1) You need a good machine to run it right (which i dont right now lol)
    2) I dont know which one it was, but one of the updates screwed around with my onboard sound card, RealTek AC97, and now i cannot get it to work, and i've tried everything except a fresh install which im not going to do right now

"
    Vista ultimate is a good improvement over XP, however issue #1 is very critical vista consumes a lot of cpu and stuff doing completely useless things (like looking sexy) that linux and other OS do not use a whole lot.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VACkillers

when you've got the power to run vista how it should tho, it really does look and feel very nice!

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By aegis_and_pred
    Termite said:
    "unclejohnny79 said:
    "actually thats pretty clever...
    "
     I know, I didn't expect them to do something like this but it sort of made me laugh. Been a while since a companies tactics actually brought a smile to my face.

And to Predasus, dude you've got to chill out. Your only blog post is a rant that seems to be writen in all bold letters, while every single forum post by you that I've seen is just a hateful flame comment directed towards some other party. While I agree that Vista isn't as bad as people make it out to be, your going about it the entirely wrong way.
    "

sarcasim good sir ... sarcasim ...  learn to read it
    i don't think hateful is the word you meant to use there... i might be being a bit of a jack ass about it, but i find people funny and am good at poking fun.  hate me ... go ahead. 
    flame? meh ... maybe ... but i think ignorant people like sculsoldi3r deserve to be flamed ... repeatedly in fact.  sorry if that doesn't tickle your fancy ... but it makes me chuckle.
    would you rather i try to explain my position logically only to be hatefully flamed for my efforts?  no thank you sir ... no thank you indeed.

and my blog post was the same post i put up in my anti-piracy thread.  I actually made it a point to only have one sentence of all capitals because I feel it was imporant and I REALLY hate piracy.  Using BIG words only helps people know where to put emphasis when they're READING it in their heads. 

Try it sometime ... even YOU might like it.  ;)
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By OGCartman

Vista is flawed, still good though.

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By aegis_and_pred

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.