Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My first pc build (Recommendations welcome)

Chawenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So after years of skulking around the Giantbomb community I'm putting a call out to all you tech-savvy people out there. My friend made a list of parts for me and since I don't really know anything about building a computer I thought I would enlist you in helping. Also I live in Europe so I'm kinda screwed on the prices.

Prossessor: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor 225€

Motherboard: MSI H77MA-G43 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard 87€

Video card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card 209€

RAM: Team Group 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vulcan Series Red Dual-Channel kit, DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) CL9 69€

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 67.90€

Power supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 64.90€

Optical drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer 29€

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352M mATX/mITX 64.90€

So that brings the total up to 816.70€. I'm really hoping to stay at the 800€ range so any suggestions you have can reflect on that. So is this build viable for gaming for at least the next couple of years? And also is there anything to overclocking? I'm really hoping I can finally actually watch some videos on the site and not on Youtube. I thank you all in advance for any thoughts on this.

Fin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Fin

This practically the exact specs as the PC I have built myself, except I use a full ATX motherboard and Corsair Carbide 500R case, can I ask why mATX?

Also if possible I would highly recommend an SSD, specifically the Samsung 840 EVO.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A single 660 with a 3570k is certainly nothing to scoff at, but you might start to feel it in a year or so. However for the price you are looking for I don't think you can do much better than that setup. Good luck on your venture!

Chawenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fin: I really don't know. My friend says it's smaller and cheaper. Also does it affect any future upgrading?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikey87144

@chawenger: I would get a core i5 4670 and a GTX 760 instead of a GTX 660 and the 3570. Also the bigger board supports more expansion slots. If you're not going to put in a sound card of run SLI you're fine. Also unless you're going to overclock don't get the K version. Your gaming performance is more dependent on the GPU. The guys at Tested just did another DIY PC build for over $2000 and they used a non K core i5.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@chawenger: I'm too far removed from my own PC-building days to speak to the specific parts you mentioned, but someone sent me this and it looks kind of neat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.