Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

My PC runs at ~80% CPU while streaming video

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MethodMan008

Hey duders,

So my PC is pretty junky.. I bought it new about 4-5 years ago and it was probably pretty terrible at the time.

For reference, my specs are as such:

Wubdiws 7 32-bit

AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e ~2.3GHz

3072MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ( :( )

---------

Now, I don't really use my PC for games, just to browse some video games websites and stream a lot of content.. If I'm just posting on forums and reading articles my CPU usage is usually at about 15-30%, but when I play video it usually bounces between 80-100% CPU usage and my fans periodically sound like they are going into overdrive. Not sure if this would be relevant or not, but if I run a video in a tab, but if that tab is just in the background and I'm only listening to it the CPU usages bounces between 25-40%.

Is this something to worry about? Is my PC showing telltale signs of being on it's death bed?

I hope not because I'm mad poor at the moment..

Anyhow, thanks for your help and answers guys!

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By devilzrule27

Use the HTML 5 player

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MethodMan008

@devilzrule27 said:

Use the HTML 5 player

Rad, that helps. That seems to keep it between 35-65%.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrKlorox

Sounds like hardware acceleration is disabled in Flash. Right click a flash video container and select "Settings..." A small window should pop up in the flash container called "Adobe Flash Player Settings" and should default to the "Display" tab where the "Enable hardware acceleration" checkbox is located. Make sure that it is checked. Then restart your browser and see if it improves. If not, restart your computer.

If it is already checked then you might need to completely uninstall flash then reinstall the latest version of it. I was having problems with hardware acceleration claiming it was on but it clearly wasn't functioning right. Uninstalling and reinstalling the latest beta drivers fixed it.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MethodMan008

@MrKlorox: Cool cool, now it keeps non HTML4 videos between 70-80% or so. Definitely an improvement over what I was getting. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.