Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need Help Purchasing A New Router

Podunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Podunk

I don't frequent the forums here too much, so I don't know if this is something posted often, or if this is even the best place to post it, but as I stated in the title, I need help finding the right/best router to buy for a pretty standard multi-device home situation. The one I have now just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm not especially experienced when it comes to setting this sort of hardware up, but I'm also not necessarily afraid of learning, or getting into custom firmware like Tomato. If you have any advice or recommendations I'd really appreciate it. Also, I'm on a budget of roughly $100 for this, so the cheaper the better, as long as it's still a quality product.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Podunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Podunk

@Barrock: Maybe, do you have any experience with that particular device? Much of what I've been reading points to maybe looking at something from Asus.

Ultimately, my main concerns are compatibility, security, and hopefully relatively easy setup and management.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Barrock

@Podunk said:

@Barrock: Maybe, do you have any experience with that particular device? Much of what I've been reading points to maybe looking at something from Asus.

Ultimately, my main concerns are compatibility, security, and hopefully relatively easy setup and management.

Not with that model in particular, but I do have a Netgear. The reason I suggested that one in particular is it has 900 reviews with a 4 star average.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Devildoll
    cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cbarnes86

I'm not a huge Netgear fan, but I've owned nothing but Linksys/Cisco routers and they work great. They also have multiple tiers so you can get a good one for 29.99 or a great one closer to 100. All up to you.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

@cbarnes86 said:

I'm not a huge Netgear fan, but I've owned nothing but Linksys/Cisco routers and they work great. They also have multiple tiers so you can get a good one for 29.99 or a great one closer to 100. All up to you.

He knows the deal. I got a Linksys for a little over 100 and it is fucking awesome. Handles 2 PS3's , a labtop, a iPad, an Ipod Touch and 2 iPhones simultaneuosly with no problem.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShockD
    D-Link are the cheapest you can get and they seem to be working just fine for me. Perhaps their signal is a little weaker but you won't provide wi-fi to the whole building I suppose.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Bass

In general, I look to thewirecutter.com if I'm looking to invest in a piece of technology. They have their picks for best, good, and best cheap router. They go into extreme detail about why they choose each router, and they also list close competitors if you can't buy the one they recommend (or don't trust the brand, or its a little cheaper, or whatever). They do a lot of research on every product they support and they also update their posts when they think something better has come out.

Podunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Podunk

@Bass: Thanks for the links, after a bit of research the Asus RT-N56u was one of the routers I was considering, after reading that article I think that is probably what I'll look for.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

I too use a Netgear. Only because I my Linux would cut out when I tried to bring my Ps3 online. I got the WNDR3800. I like it, I am more then 30 feet up, on the top floor, and get full signal. It has the ability to hook a USB hard drive into it and use it as a network drive. But I haven't done that yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.