Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need research data regarding your computer's power watt supply

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Hi i'm arguing with someone on tested.com because someone posted their psu broke down in an article, maybe around five of them and it continues to. They use solar power to power these things, i'm thinking it's a power spike or something due to uneffiencient technology. He has enough wattage to run a two hd5870 in crossfireX and uses a seasonic 750 psu. It's a great psu, very expensive, yet only 4 ppl gave it 1 star on the newegg review site meaning most ppl didn't have any problems with it. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=Seasonic%20SS-750KM

So what I need from you is to tell me if any of your power watt supply fried before. My guess is 90% of the ppl here never had a broken power watt supply which will strengthen my theory. 

For me I never had a broken power watt supply before. I took one apart because the fan was hitting the cage, however it stopped spinning now. It still works. I never had a broken powerwatt supply before and so doesn't alot of other ppl in that thread or article. So tell me did you never have a broken psu? If you did, tell me how many watts and what brand. I run a 750tx cosair psu. Go ahead and answer, your data is important to prove using normal power wouldn't cause any problems with most ppl's psu and it's very uncommon. Thanks.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pessh

Never.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

I have a Mac, the mouse only has one button.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sjosz

850w power supply, never breaky.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @zombie2011: did the power watt supply ever fried? I need helpful data plz.  

Also for everyone else, thanks, keep it up. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

550 and a 750. Haven't had any problems with either.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011
    @HitmanAgent47: No, it fine.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Zithe

I've never had one go bad on me, but I've only owned about 4 computers over the last decade.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think we can say any data from this thread will be representative of the failure rates of power supplies in general, but for the record I've never had one fail on me.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bobdaman18

650w never had a psu fail on me
    Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

I have never had one fail.  I have a Corsair 950TX

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I've bought 4 separate power supplys and there's nothing wrong with any of them. 

I'm currently using a 650W for my 5850.  No problems at all.

yungfloppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yungfloppa

I bought a really cheap one years ago, I think for the first PC I built when I was in high school.  Not sure on the wattage, maybe 600W or something like that.  Well it was dirt cheap, no-name brand and  stopped working after a week.  Replaced with a quality Antec PSU and it has served me well ever since (so, like, 5 or 6 years), it's 450W I believe. 

Anyways, yes, they can break on their own.  I do not remember having any weird power issues at the time, granted this was so long ago.  So take this with a grain of salt.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By unchained

I have a 750w one. It runs fine. Never had any issues with it. 

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark_Jon

650 watt, got it for around 50 bucks, has never failed yet.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper

I had a power supply die on me after 6 or so years but even then it was a super cheap make and it was running pretty much all day in a super hot room. Those things are sturdy.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oatz

Yes, let's all help HitmanAgent47 with his arguments.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a shitty 350watt power supply from Dell fail on me, don't remember what brand it was.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eurobum

I've had one fail after running a Pentium 4 for extended amounts of time, but it was 230V 50Hz alternating current imput with 380 W max. power. No-name brand.

In total i encountered 2 sudden failures in 15 years (not caused by plugging / unplugging / overheating or manufacturing defect) one was a power supply the other a motherboard.

It's possible that the PSU suffers from bad wiring, surges, "voltage spikes", caused by switching or even lightning strikes. 

Avatar image for oppressivestink
    OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OppressiveStink

I've had a PSU fry before, but it was before I could make my own PCs and I purchased a custom built one from a local shop but this was Circa 1996.  

I guess he used some products that are normally found in central asia.  Avoid KING YES power supplies!

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Geno

I read your posts in that Tested thread. As usual you're completely nonsensical. Here are a few of the many inane things you said in but a mere handful of posts. I'm surprised the people there were that patient with you. I invite anyone to view the topic here

First of all you annoyingly put yourself on some sort of delusional high pedestal. Again.  

" I am one of the biggest pc gamer on giantbomb" 
     Right...how did you quantify this and how is it even relevant to the topic?   

I never used seasonic and I don't call them a reputable brand compared to the cosair that I use." 
     Corsair PSUs are mostly rebranded Seasonic OEMs. Oh wait, that's a well-known fact about computer hardware, why in heavens would you be aware of that? Never mind. 

You don't know what some of us giantbomb ppl think of the advice on this forum, you'll be suprised and I don't want to say it here." 
    The Tested community is a bit subpar in their computer knowledge (for what is supposedly an enthusiast site) and many of the people are outright fanboys, but you of all people shouldn't be criticizing them. You also speak for no one here as far as I'm aware.   

So yeah, stop embarrassing yourself, and stop embarrassing us. It's just...embarrassing. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The only PSU I ever had that failed on me was an Antec TruPower 550W.  Never had any other PSU issues.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Geno: well geno, i'm trying to prove psu doesn't break that often and it's from an outside source. I bet it's his solar panel stuff causing a power surge non stop. Honestly who has 5 psu's fail on them and why?

What do you think it is? I don't know enough about solar panels to counter the argument however I still think they are wrong regardless. I already posted the review of his psu and only 4 ppl who bought it out of hundreds had it fail. I don't see how it's possible unless it's an outside source. I am trying to prove power spikes in his solar power system because his office pc doesn't have these problems.

Like I said geno, alot of my knowledge comes from my experience, not from articles. Maybe I get bored of googling every question or I just don't trust every article as gospel. I mean i'm not the one who recycles every misconceptions from articles I read without testing it myself. I'm a hands on pc gamer, if I say the i7 is better than an i5 for games, I want to test out the cpu myself to see if it uses all 8 threads, or only 2 as you claim. I can't speculate on stuff unless I tried it, that's how I function. I heard of seasonic obviously however I didn't know how good of a brand they were. My experience was mostly from cosair a brand I trust. I thought antec, cosair, maybe silverstone, ocz were the best. I don't use seasonic, thermaltake, enermax ect. I just don't go though alot of psu because they don't fry on me. I've been using the same cosair 750tx forever now since it just won't die no matter what I put it through. Also I didn't read alot of seasonic reviews because I never really thought about using their psu. However reading that review, it was an expensive psu and it's quite good rating wise.

Geno i've heard you critise this site more than anyone here btw, that's why I mentioned some of ppl here doesn't really trust tested.com is because of your comment. Remember how you said you talked to some of the top posters and they didn't make any sense and you just left or something like that? Don't try to cover for that, your their biggest critic here. I didn't say I was the biggest pc gamer, I am only one of them. I don't speak for giantbomb.com, however you already did. 

The data is really helpful so far from ppl, so I do know psu's fail, not top quality stuff.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Geno: Have you seen this thread? Even Will responded.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Corsair tx750 here. Never failed.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Geno: well geno, i'm trying to prove psu doesn't break that often and it's from an outside source. I bet it's his solar panel stuff causing a power surge non stop. Honestly who has 5 psu's fail on them and why?
     What do you think it is? I don't know enough about solar panels to counter the argument however I still think they are wrong regardless. 

I don't know what it is, which is why I don't make wild speculations. He's a hardware journalist, he literally goes through dozens of PSUs in varying intensities and environments. There's also something known as bad luck. There are people who have had a dozen Xbox 360s break on them, even when purposefully treated with above average conditions. Given a certain population size, and someone in his line of work, obviously stuff like this is bound to happen. 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

Like I said geno, alot of my knowledge comes from my experience, not from articles.

Because you've tested dozens of PSUs before for extended periods of time in multiple environments. Oh wait.  

@HitmanAgent47

said:

I mean i'm not the one who recycles every misconceptions from articles I read without testing it myself. 

Because you hand-test every hardware SKU out there yourself right? No; you take your very limited experiences and try to apply them as a rule, out of extreme narcissism, which is the exact opposite of good reasoning. By the way, if you think rigorous testing done by established hardware publications count as "misconceptions", maybe you should contact the editors of sites like Anandtech and enlighten them with your oh so vast knowledge of PC hardware.  

@HitmanAgent47

said:

Geno i've heard you critise this site more than anyone here btw, that's why I mentioned some of ppl here doesn't really trust tested.com is because of your comment. Remember how you said you talked to some of the top posters and they didn't make any sense and you just left or something like that? Don't try to cover for that, your their biggest critic here. I didn't say I was the biggest pc gamer, I am only one of them.  The data is really helpful so far from ppl, so I do know psu's fail, not top quality stuff. "

Right, but you don't speak for me or anyone else. The reasons I criticize them is for the same reasons I criticize you - ignorance and fanboyism (that's not entirely fair, since you display those traits an order of magnitude more strongly than they ever did).  You are in no place to say "GB forums are against you guys" when you are far worse than anyone I've ever met over there.

And don't think for a second you are collecting even remotely valid data. Tiny sample size + nonrandom polling + leading question, etc. I see basic statistics is another body of knowledge that escapes you entirely. 
    CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CandleJakk

My PSU on my first self-build fried; but it was down to a manufacturing defect with a faulty rail on it. Other than that I've never had one fail. 
    I think the replacement I got is 500W in power, but can't be certain.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Geno: geno if you read the article, you will realise that's not his office pc with these broken psu's, they are actually all his home pc and psu. All his office psu works perfectly and he couldn't figure this out. He said he lives at silicon valley and runs his power on solar power in a different place than his office. Then again I can't expect you to know that topic of solar power if it's not pc related. I am great at pattern reconition, to imply xbox 360's break, that's internal. Which means it's the hardware's fault because the board warps and solders falls off or something, causing some RROD due to heat over time. However i'm trying to say it's not an internal problem, I proved this through my thread here because sometimes it's an interal problem, sure. However no one had more than one psu broke down like that. I'm suggesting it's probally an external source. I bet it was a constant power surge or fluxuation and I belive it will happen. That's why I am stacking ammo here because I proved already most ppl doesn't have this bad luck more than once, if any bad luck at all. Look sometimes I can spot these things, like when I said the i7 is a better cpu for gaming, I didn't have one at the time, yet I can see the patterns that it's better utilized. Also I showed on newegg reviews only 4 ppl had their psu fried of the same brand and model. So frying that is not bad luck.

It's funny how sometimes ppl accuse me of narcsism, ppl often accuse themselves though others at times in psychology. Read your bio, I find it interesting geno, what is this? Your average college student. And by average I mean genius.    

You can't say well because you didn't hand test every psu, therefore you don't know. But what I do know from hand testing some of my psus, mostly cosair stuff is that they don't break or have bad luck that easily. I speculated that it's rare of others, however the info I found was maybe one breaks the most and it doesn't happen a second time. Interesting information. Well I always go to alot of computer stores connected to warehouses and ask them what's the best selling psu and which are the best brand. They didn't say seasonic, so I assume it's irrelevent to me. 

Like I said, this data might seem insignificant, however it's still stacking ammo. The most I can prove is a pattern, unless I go and start googling everything about solar power. I'm not like you geno, I don't feel the need to google everything to appoint myself the know it all status because I spend an entire weekend googling misconceptions if it's not benchmark related.

I don't speak for geno, how's that? he already spoken. I am part of giantbomb, however I don't speak for them. I never claimed gb is against them, I just claim you made a statement against some of their top users saying they didn't make any sense. I'm not arguing against the guy who wrote the article, I just want to figure it out exactly what's the problem, I was arguing against some other guy in the comments section with his b.s checklist. Honestly they should just get someone to test their solar power again to dianose the problem. No one has such bad luck. Look I am not in the mood to argue, if you want to continue it in my thread, just send me a priv msg or something, but not like this. You already cleared that i'm not speaking for GB.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spoonman671
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "Hi i'm arguing with someone on tested.com"
    Why Hitman, how unlike you!
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rockanomics

I had one die, and it was a really fancy one too.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous

I've had at least two power supplies fail on me over the years. I don't know the brands or wattages.

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HayFourZee

480w never died.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By time allen

i don't know about you guys, but demons fried my psu

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Geno: geno if you read the article, you will realise that's not his office pc with these broken psu's, they are actually all his home pc and psu. He said he lives at silicon valley and runs his power on solar power in a differnent place than his office.

If you read the article, "  The power in my house is clean. That was actually verified when I had my solar power system installed a couple of years ago." He also mentions PSUs breaking during his job. 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

Then again I can't expect you to know that topic of solar power if it's not pc related.

Want to bet that I know more about solar power than you do? I do. You certainly don't have a good track record of understanding, well, anything.  

@HitmanAgent47

said:

I am great at pattern reconition, to imply xbox 360's break, that's internal. Which means it's the hardware's fault because the board warps and solders falls off or something, causing some RROD. However i'm trying to say it's not an internal problem, I proved this through my thread here because sometimes it's an interal problem, sure. However no one had more than one psu broke like that. I'm suggesting it's probally an external source. I bet it was a constant power surge or fluxuation and I belive it will happen. That's why I am stacking ammo here because I proved already most ppl doesn't have this bad luck more than once, if any bad luck at all. 

Correlation =/= causation. Given the facts, power surges are the least likely cause, since he has both a validated solar grid system as well as a good UPS. 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

Look sometimes I can spot these things, like when I said the i7 is a better cpu for gaming, I didn't have one at the time, yet I can see the patterns that it's better utilized. 

You heard it here first folks, you need to be a pattern master to recognize that $300 processors outperform $150 ones. That's astounding, your IQ must be at least 45.  

@HitmanAgent47

said:

It's funny how sometimes ppl accuse me of narcissm, ppl often accuse themselves though others at times in psychology. Read your bio, I find it interesting geno, what is this? Your average college student. And by average I mean genius.    

Evidently satire goes over your head like most (all?) other things. 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

You can't say well because you didn't hand test every psu, therefore you don't know. 

I can if you act like your personal experiences somehow dictate wide trends. Your argument basically goes (with broken English intact): "i have cosair psu. Yet as a patern i see it's wrking perfect but your psu broken. Yet mine is working. However something external must be wrong like power fluxuation. However it cant be interal problem sure." 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

I don't speak for geno, how's that? he already spoken. I am part of giantbomb, however I don't speak for them. I never claimed gb is against them, I just claim you made a statement against some of their top users saying they didn't make any sense.     "

My point being, you had no right to mention GB at all in terms of criticism to their community since a) you do not represent anyone at GB, and thus should not have said anything that represents anyone else but you yourself and b) you display the exact same attributes that they are criticized for, and to a much higher degree. It's absurd how oblivious you are. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Geno: My fridge is verified a couple of years ago, but it leaks now. So what? By your logic, something that happened a few years ago is the same as something that happens now? I mean he did mention a few years ago, the same time as all his psus being broken was when he installed a solar power panel. It's great you just googled it all now and know your solar power terms, you are an expert geno. Maybe it's time to look into the problem again? I am not talking about a $300 processor vs a $150, the i5 is $200 I think. It's you who claims a $120 X4 is good as the i7 for gameplay, maybe it's more near the i5 during gameplay and not senthetic benchmarks. You also make a claim that no games utilize anything more than dual core because it's not designed for it like what articles speculated many years ago with the core 2 quad stuff with their misconceptions. I can see the processes being utilized even if it's not designed for it. Now your throwing insults my way as usual and alot for your last power. I ask you to either speak to me with respect and talk to me for a priv msg because i'm not going to continue the arguement or getting insulted here. If you want to counter my points, do it without insults.

Your just stacking insults in the past, in the future just like the LSAT thread, don't reply to me. Once we communicate, you throw insults like you are some kind of genius for a later post. You still didn't explain how 5 psu died and no one here had that many died. Bad luck? Great explaination. You still critized their top users on the forum in the past for giving bad advice saying they didn't know anything, while I don't speak for GB, you clearly spoke for yourself about their useless advice as you said. I don't have to put up with your narcissistic know it all insults. I don't have to put up with your insults, when you provided no solutions exact the same inane argument as the other guy. "It was certified years ago therefore everything works perfectly now." You still didn't explain why most of us with normal constant power isn't getting our psu fried that much. Pretend your right, when you offer no solution except it's bad luck or it's certified a few years ago. I'm saying recheck it again now. The internal problem was the psu fried, the external problem probally is power surges. I don't think solar power is all that constant as they claim. You countering me doesn't mean I agree with your points, you still haven't proved anything yet, except it's bad luck, it's certified years ago and a bunch of insults I don't have to put up with. I mean if you have no solutions, then stop talking here, I am here to find out other ppl's psu data, not here to put up with your narcissistic insults from some weekend google warrior.

I don't have to put up with your insults, plz don't write here, if you want to write about this, send me a pm, otherwise i'll diregard your post. I never claim you won the arguement because bad luck doesn't mean anything, or certified because I say it should be recertified to rule that out. It's like saying my car was certified a few years ago, it doesn't need repair or any dianoses. He's going to have more psu break on him in the future and i'm sure that's going to be a constant pattern. Something is breaking all the psus and it's not happening with anyone else here that many times. Why speak to you geno, you can't listen to anything past misconceptions from other ppl's articles. If you were a scientist before, you'll probally call newton or einstien wrong because of everyone else's misconceptions. I like how you filter out everything others say through your misconceptions all the time and shut your ears because of it. It makes me wonder if it's even possible to counter someone who doesn't know how to listen because everytime someone counters your argument, narcisstic ppl usually thinks i'm challegenging his self worth since yoru knowledge is suppose to be some kind of power trip to your ego. If anyone challenges your misconceptions, they are challeging your ego and ppl with a high ego according to psychology has low self esteem.

Every last sentence is again an insult for your last post, your common pattern i've noticed, which i'm flagging.
    Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Devildoll

ive never had a psu be responsible for its own death , ive had one psu die , but thats cause the motherboard got shorted.

750 watt is more than plenty for 2 5870's . they have a tdp of 188 watts ,  times two would bring it up to 376 watt , ad an i7 onto that and the system would be sucking about 500 watts. but thats the very max , 
    and it would only eat that much if you were running furmark on both gfx's + a nasty stresstest for the cpu.

also , corsair makes awesome powersupplies , if he had one break on him , he is just unlucky.

just to clarify , im not saying psu's dont break on their own , just that its not something that happens once a day for a regular person , if you catch my drift.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "   I don't have to put up with your insults, plz don't write here, if you want to write about this, send me a pm, otherwise i'll diregard your post. I never claim you won the arguement because bad luck doesn't mean anything..."
    Keep taking those anti-psychotics. They'll make you feel better.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @SpikeSpiegel: your still mad because I made that mac thread in the other forum? and you didn't like it?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Geno: My fridge is verified a couple of years ago, but it leaks now. So what? By your logic, something that happened a few years ago is the same as something that happens now? I mean it did mention a few years ago, the same time as all his psus being broken was when he installed a solar power panel. It's great you just googled it all now, you are an expert geno. Maybe it's time to look into the problem again? I am not talking about a $300 processor vs a $150, the i5 is $200 I think. It's you who claims a $120 X4 is good as the i7 for gameplay, maybe it's more near the i5 during gameplay and not senthetic benchmarks. You also make a claim that no games utilize anything more than dual core because it's not designed for it. Now your throwing insults my way as usual, I ask you to either speak to me with respect and talk to me for a priv msg.   Your just stacking insults in the past, in the future just like the LSAT thread, don't reply to me. Once we communicate, you throw insults like you are some kind of genius. You still didn't explain how 5 psu died and no one here had that many died. Bad luck? Great explaination. You still critized their top users on the forum in the past, while I don't speak for GB, you clearly spoke for yourself about their useless advice as you said. I don't have to put up with your narcissistic know it all insults. I don't have to put up with your insults, you provided no solutions exact the same inane argument as the other guy, it was certified years ago therefore everything works perfectly now. You still didn't explain why most of us with normal constant power isn't getting our psu fried that much. Pretend your right, when you offer no solution except it's bad luck or it's certified a few years ago. I'm saying recheck it again now. The internal problem was the psu fried, the external problem probally is power surges. I don't think solar power is all that constant as they claim. You countering me doesn't mean I agree with your points, you still haven't proved anything yet, except it's bad luck, it's certified years ago and a bunch of insults I don't have to put up with. I mean if you have no solutions, then stop talking here, I am here to find out other ppl's psu data, not here to put up with your narcissistic insults from some weekend google warrior.  I don't have to put up with your insults, plz don't write here, if you want to write about this, send me a pm, otherwise i'll diregard your post. I never claim you won the arguement because bad luck doesn't mean anything, or certified because I say it should be recertified to rule that out. He's going to have more psu break on him and i'm sure that's going to be a constant pattern. Something is breaking all the psus and it's not happening with anyone else here. "
    Half of that was non-sensical, and the other half I've already addressed. You are delusional beyond comprehension if you think any of the insults given to you are undeserved. 

I'll leave you with a comment that I've already made that pertains directly to this thread:  

@Geno said:
    Don't think for a second you are collecting even remotely valid data. Tiny sample size + nonrandom polling + leading question, etc. I see basic statistics is another body of knowledge that escapes you entirely.  "

Keep using those two brain cells Hitman, assuming you put a whole lifespan's amount of brainpower into them, the combined effort may one day culminate in a rational thought. See you at your next ridiculous posting.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Devildoll said:
    "ive never had a psu be responsible for its own death , ive had one psu die , but thats cause the motherboard got shorted.  750 watt is more than plenty for 2 5870's . they have a tdp of 188 watts ,  times two would bring it up to 376 watt , ad an i7 onto that and the system would be sucking about 500 watts. but thats the very max ,  and it would only eat that much if you were running furmark on both gfx's + a nasty stresstest for the cpu.  also , corsair makes awesome powersupplies , if he had one break on him , he is just unlucky. "

I agree with you, I calculated all his system and it's like only 520 watts or something max. So i'm ruling out it's because of over using power and stuff. I'm ruling out bad luck too because that psu has a really great rating on newegg.com. So what is frying this psu? I'm guessing, the only thing that could possible do that, is a power surge or inconsistent power. I guess I need to google solar power eventually for their stability and reliability.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel: your still mad because I made that mac thread in the other forum? and you didn't like it? "
    IT IS YOU'RE GOD DAMN IT I'M OUT OF HERE RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Enough of your bullshit, ppl claims i'm this or that. Whatever, however I don't want to argue with some narcissist. None of your verbal abuse is deserved. I don't belive in your insults for a second. Maybe I should avoid you because your some guy who needs to insult others for a power trip. That's why you have all these building pc threads on the forum to show off your knowledge so others will accept you for being knowledgable or they don't know how to google some of this stuff. According to articles, I should avoid narcissistic ppl because they will try to insult and manipulate others. I'm not putting up with agression, manipulation,

When someone close to you has narcissistic personality disorder, you can feel like you're the one who's mentally ill. A narcissist manipulates you and everyone else around him to maintain his own sense of worth. Though people with narcissistic personality disorder are often highly intelligent and charming, they're much like toddlers in their emotional development, insisting that they are the center of the world.

Difficulty: Challenging

Instructions

1. 1

Realize that narcissistic personality disorder is a real disorder that makes the one suffering from it behave in ways that aren't typical of an average person. At the same time, a narcissist attempts to make you feel like you're the one with a problem, if not a full-blown mental illness.

2. 2

Understand that the nature of the disorder makes it nearly impossible for a person suffering from it to seek treatment. If she does seek treatment, it's highly unlikely that she'll change her ways. Instead, she'll often attempt to use what her therapist says to discredit and devalue other people in her life.

3. 3

Decide to have no contact with the narcissist, if possible. Because you can't change the narcissist, you should stay away from him to keep your own mental health and stability. Ignore him in social settings, don't answer the door if he shows up at your house, don't answer the phone when he calls and don't return emails. If you live with him and it's possible, either move out or demand that he does.

4. 4

Avoid discussions with the narcissist unless you have a witness and the discussion is absolutely required, such as for legal reasons. People with narcissistic personality disorder are masters of manipulation whether it's actively manipulating you or twisting your words so they mean something other than what you actually intend.

5. 5

Join a support group to help you realize you're not alone. While those around you who know the person with narcissistic personality disorder may be taken in by his charm and think you're the one with a problem, other people who've had close relationships with narcissists share your experience and can help you feel stronger.

6. 6

Attend therapy to heal from the abuse you suffered at the hands of the narcissist. Most narcissists are also abusers, generally abusing you emotionally until you feel like a deeply flawed person. They may also be physical abusers. A skilled therapist can help you recover from the abuse and return to feeling like yourself again.

7. 7

Figure out why you were so drawn to the person with narcissistic personality disorder so you can avoid it in the future. Narcissists are generally charming people who seem to be larger-than-life, who exude excitement and who may offer excessive compliments. At the same time, though, you can often perceive that they lack genuine emotion and engagement even when you first meet them.

Read more: How to Deal With Narcissistic Personality Disorder | eHow.comhttp://www.ehow.com/how_2384214_deal-narcissistic-personality-disorder.html#ixzz13tEx6E00     

Know-it-alls

Know-It-Alls believe they are superior to others and show it by being pompous and condescending. There are two types of Know-It-Alls.

Bulldozers
    Bulldozers are usually experts who don't know how to work/deal with other people. They feel strongly that the more they know, the better off they will be. They also feel that they control their own destiny. As a result, the ideas and knowledge of others are deemed irrelevant.

To cope with Bulldozers, you have to get them to consider alternatives without directly challenging their expertise which they interpret as a personal attack. Your first step is to do your homework -- prepare yourself with accurate facts before presenting the plan to a Bulldozer. Listen carefully to Bulldozers and then paraphrase back to them what they said. This confirms your comprehension of the matter to the Bulldozer. Next, ask questions to introduce the possible alternatives, prefacing them with statements like "I realize this may not be what we will be doing a year from now, but could we consider this..."

When coping with a Bulldozer, there is a tendency to become one! If you feel you are equally competent, be wary of getting engaged in a one-on-one battle. Be aware of Bulldozer behaviour in yourself.

Don't confront a Bulldozer in a meeting setting. Instead, adopt some of the techniques above. If your Bulldozer is attempting to take over the meeting, acknowledge the Bulldozer's competency, then ask others for their thoughts. Suggest the organization is based on the democratic principle of an equal voice for all members.    

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By destruktive

I'm using a 450W that I bought about 6 years ago.. Still holds up perfectly.
    I'm using a 4870, many hardrives and capture cards etc etc. 

I might upgrade it soon but yeah, so far so good.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jimbo

I've had about a dozen or so of these break on me in the last few weeks.  Hope this helps.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FlyingRat

HitmanAgent47 is my favorite person.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Jimbo: really? A dozen? are these office pc's?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RsistncE

4 powersupplies over the past 6 years, only 1 has failed and that was a shitty gateway one that came with a shitty prebuilt gateway. The rest (Antec, Enermax and Corsair) all ran perfectly right up to the day that I finally sold them.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By damodar

Those instructions for dealing with narcissistic people are pretty amazing. THEY'LL MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE THE MENTALLY ILL ONE. KNOW THAT TREATMENT CAN NOT HELP THEM. DON'T EVEN TALK TO THEM UNLESS YOUR LAWYER IS THERE. JOIN A SUPPORT GROUP AND SEEK THERAPY YOURSELF. 

I am also fond of hitman's comment  "  ruling out bad luck too because that psu has a really great rating on newegg"

If it was power spikes, couldn't he just get a surge protector and be done with it? >.>

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ryax

you are a self centered ass who thinks too highly of his own opinion. please do us all a favor and just stop posting shit like this. you are just asking to be shut down because you have no idea what you're talking about. so please, just stop, you make me want to throw all of my computers in a pit and start a bon fire. 

and as for that comment of you being one of the biggest pc gamers on giant bomb, fuck off, you aren't one of the biggest because you don't know all the pc gamers, you are just the most out spoken and inane pc gamer on giant bomb. 

so i repeat, fuck off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.