Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need some PC hardware Help..........

Lunchbox1up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lunchbox1up

i have this laptop from my uncle, dell inspiron.

when i start it, the screen is black with a blinking ( _ ) in the top left corner. it wont let me enter bios setups or anything........it just sits on that screen

anyone have any solutions?
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Lunarbunny

Sounds like the boot drive is damaged/corrupted/something. You sure you can't get into BIOS setup? It's probably something other than Delete, like F2 or F10.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By serbsta

It could be a lot of things, if you dont know any experts take it to a local computer store and have them do a quick check up.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By coaxmetal

Does it post (that is display the dell logo or some sort of splash screen immediately after powering on)? If it does, then the BIOS should be accessible. A lot of Dells use F2 as the key to enter the setup (ie BIOS) so try pressing that after powering on.

If the computer posts successfully, the issue is probably either with the HDD itself or the OS installation on said HDD. If it doesn't post, that is usually a sign of a hardware problem on the motherboard/ram/cpu level, and is difficult to diagnose without screwing around with the innards, which is a real bitch with a laptop (not reccomended). Either way, your best bet is to get somebody local to actually look at it, or else provide some more information.

Hope this helps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.