Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New monitor - worth it?

wilsouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Always planned to get a new nvidia card around now (cant decide 1070 or 1080...) and was going to get a rift. After seeing the lack of games etc I have cancelled this.

This £500 is still saved up and I was thinking about upgrading my Dell 24inch 1920x1200 monitor for something that takes advantage of a bump in graphical power.

So tempted to use that money to get a 27inch monitor QHD (4k seems still too far out currently). After all that waffle my question is - does anyone have any experience with Gsync and or 144hz gaming?

Seems one can get a decent QHD monitor for £300-400, with adding in 144hz and gysnc limiting options to high end monitors at £500-600. I'm trying to get a sense of whether its worth it or not. For example; recently PC has been used for Tomb Raider, Dark souls 3, Fallout 4, Doom, Witcher 3.

Cheers

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hmoney001

From playing on a friends 144hz monitor it is well worth the upgrade.

The fact that there's no tearing (unless it dips bellow 30) just blew my mind.

If you can afford the gsync premium go for it.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Joe_McCallister

To echo what @hmoney001said it's definitely worth the upgrade - I've heard a lot lately that getting a quality monitor can really change your whole experience. I'm using two fairly basic monitors and the picture is fine, but following the 1070 my next larger purchase will likely be a super nice monitor. Been hawking /r/buildapcsales, microcenter/best buy ads and the like for something that's just "too good to pass up" but think that might be more of a Nov-Dec time to look. Can't say I've got gSync/144hz experience but I've never heard a bad thing about it.

Moldiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got the latest ROG Swift 1440p @ 165hz (although not many games can make uses of such high refresh rate) and I can't ever see me dropping down to a lower res. It's just great to use.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been using a 144hz monitor for 2 years now and I absolutely love it. I can't describe how smooth games are and how much it's helped me play better. If a game is locked to 60fps I immediately notice the difference. The smoothness of 144hz is really great.

With that 1070 card I would highly recommend a 144hz monitor. If you had a 900 series card I would almost tell you to skip it, though, because most newer games don't get up to 144fps unless you turn the quality down on the 900 series. The 1070 should be great for that though.

I highly recommend Overwatch with 144hz. That game is magically smooth.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've got a 1440p / 144Hz Asus g-sync monitor, it's expensive but totally worth it if you think you can afford it. The picture quality is superb and I can't see myself ever going down in either resolution or refresh rate.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Ultrawide G-Sync is my dream... but with the X34 coming in at £900 still I don't see it happening soon.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm looking at 144hz monitors as well and have seen some 27 inchers for around 300 bucks. Do I REALLY need the gsync feature though? What if I have a 970 and get a Freesync monitor?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love 2560x1440. 1920x1080 is only so popular on PC because of TVs, but I think it's insufficient for home computers in 2016, especially at 27 inches. I would also recommend good panel technology. I greatly prefer IPS over TN for the color vibrancy and contrast.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hmoney001

Freesync is AMD and Intel only (currently) and Gsync is Nvidia only.

As for TN vs IPS.

Modern 8bit TNs are very good now. Check out the S2716 Dell Gsync monitor.

IPS will always have better viewing angles but contrast is now a toss up.

One issue I've seen with those 27" IPS 144hz panels is panel QC quality. Pretty much a panel lottery when you buy one. I've read horror stories of people returning like 6 monitors till they got one that didnt have major issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.