Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New PC...Ryzen???

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BakedBeans

So I finally have moved into my new home and got my Gameroom setup with my TV and systems. Next item on my list is a new PC. I will include my current specs below but I wanted to get some recommendations on what to get for a new PC. I don't want to 4k game but 1080p would be nice. I really ant to play Battlegrounds and Destiny 2. I dont want to spend more than $600 and who better to ask then you duders.

....and go...! lol

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz 84 °C

Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77-D3H (Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz) 28 °C

Graphics

BenQ RL2455 (1920x1080@60Hz)

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI) 49 °C

Storage

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0 ATA Device (SATA) 36 °C

223GB Crucial_CT240M500SSD1 ATA Device (SSD) 40 °C

931GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C

111GB Corsair Force GT ATA Device (SSD) 38 °C

1862GB Western Digital WD My Book 1110 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 38 °C

Optical Drives

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D ATA Device

Audio

VIA HD Audio

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

A Ryzen alone is going to cost you around $200, and you're going to need a new motherboard and more RAM. And your PC looks like a prebuilt so you may need a new case and a new PSU, and potentially a Windows key. We haven't even gotten to the GPU or anything else yet.

I think you should save up some more money. Otherwise, consider a GPU upgrade and more RAM. You may have a difficult time upgrading a prebuilt though.

CZYjoeDAVOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your psu can handle it i would put in a graphics card and 8gb more ram and call it a day. And if your psu can't handle a higher end graphics card just put in a 1050ti that thing can run on any psu.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

A new PC that costs $600 will be worse than your current PC. A 3570K is still a fine gaming CPU, especially if you overclock it. You'd be much better off buying a new GPU and adding a second stick of RAM. It's difficult to give more specific advice without knowing what power supply you have and if your motherboard/case could accommodate a better one.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's already been said but this is definitely still fine, just need a new GPU. ATI and Nvidia both have cards at or under $200USD that will be a huge upgrade, say R460 ATI (470? something below 480 is supposed to be amazing value) and no clue for Nvidia. You could add up wattage for all those components or just buy a decent 800 watt PSU to be safe, it's under $100usd.

If you wanted to go hog wild with your storage you could replace your two HDDs with a single 2 or 3 TB drive (especially if they're 4+ years old) and even get a PCIe NVMe SSD (NOT the mSATA port on your mobo) for higher bandwidth but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're just trying to spend money at that point. If your HDDs are striped I definitely recommend a newer high speed high capacity drive, you'll see better performance than you do from a shitty onboard RAID array.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upgrade your RAM and get a new GPU.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming that you replace just the CPU, motherboard, ram, and GPU, and reuse everything else (which is a big assumption, because your PSU may not be sufficient, and you may have to purchase a new Windows license), you could throw this together for $600. I don't know enough about AMD parts in general, and Ryzen specifically, to reliably say one way or another, but I don't think the performance with those parts will be significantly better than just purchasing a new video card (AMD RX 580, maybe, if you are satisfied with AMD performance generally) and some additional ram for your current setup. The cost would be almost twice as high, though.

I have a 3750k (currently OC'd to 4 GHz) paired with a GTX 970, and 16gb ram, and I can fairly easily run most current games at reasonably consistent 60fps while at 1080p. Not everything is maxed, depending on the game, but good enough, for sure. It's likely the low vram on your gpu that is the biggest bottleneck in your current setup. What problems are you experiencing at 1080p that you are trying to remedy?

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overclock that CPU, get new ram and a video card and you'll be good to go. I've got a 3570k at 4.3 GHZ and it works peachy for 1440p. No need for a entirely new build when you've got a perfectly capable backbone already.

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Coryukin

Honestly, you can get a few more years out of the system you have with that CPU. I'd throw a RX 580, 1050ti or 1060 in there and you'll be fine for gaming at 1080p for a good while.

Here is a review comparing the 3570k and the newest i5(7600k). The performance difference is there, but GPU will still be your primary performance driver in games, for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHlMLgqMT8

This is digital foundry's review of the 7600k. They compare it to the 2500k, which is the generation before your chip, so it should give you some idea of relative performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYb0y8LNAVI

I know neither of these are Rysen comparisons, but you can discern out the relative performance to today's newest chips from there.

Lastly, here is a video comparing the Rysen chips to the i5 7600k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvwWTQKCZs

A new $600 Rysen build

I put together a part list for you. It comes in at $629. If you have a case and power supply already, that would shave 70 dollars off the price. This build assumes two things:

- That you wanted to keep all of your storage drives, so I chose a case and motherboard that could accommodate that.

- That you already have a copy of Windows to install on this computer.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VxqdPs

For real though, I don't think you should do an entirely new build. I really think you should just keep your build and put a 1050ti, RX570, RX580 or GTX 1060 in it. And maybe as a bonus upgrade go up to 16gb of memory. The gains that this new 600 dollar PC will give you are marginal. Instead, spend about 200-300 dollars upgrading your current PC if you aren't happy with its performance.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

I would recommend just upgrading your gpu and ram. You could get a 1080 and ram for what you want to spend and get a more significant upgrade then switching to ryzen with a 200$ card imo. Or drop a 1080ti in there for a little more.

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off thanks everyone who has looked/commented on this. I appreciate this. I think I will keep my current MOBO/CPU and just get the other upgrades (GPU, RAM, SSD). I desperately need a new case/case fans and heatsink, i think i have stock still. Any recommendations for those? I like a clean case and dont care for the fany LEDs or windows. I like funky colors though. Hell at this point would it be worth getting a 1070/1080? or is that overkill? My psu is a Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900 900w Power Supply. I placed a link below. Same goes for the ram? any recommendations for that? Might as well toss in everything else. I am an open book and have not been into PC gaming for very long. TEACH ME DUDDERS!!

http://www.frys.com/product/6708475?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I built this PC myself a few years back actually.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OurSin_360

@evildeathsyth: IMO I don't think there really is a such thing as overkill, all this stuff will be out of date in a year or 2 either way so what i look for is what will last me the longest for the money i am willing to spend. If you plan on sticking to 1080p for the next few years then a 1060 will get you 60+ right now and will probably get you 45-60 down the road and a 1070 will probably last you a good long while for 60fps and over. So it depends on what's the most important to you, and how long you want the build to last for gaming etc.

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@evildeathsyth: For a case, I have an NZXT S340. I have similar taste to you, evidently, in that I like clean, simple, and relatively devoid of the "gamer" look (it does have a window, which I'm also not the biggest fan of, but I have it window side to the desk, so it's not obnoxious). It comes in a few color schemes to match what you want. It's an easy case to work in, because it is very open, and cable routing is relatively easy to do cleanly. It has mounts for the SSDs separate from the HDDs, so it should be able to handle the number of storage drives you have, but it does not have a drive bay for the optical drive. I have not had a problem with that, but everyone's needs are different. It comes with two case fans, but I added two more (120 mm Cougar PWM fans). For a CPU cooler, I installed the venerated Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, which fit nice and snug in that case. Regardless of what case and CPU cooler you go with, make sure that you read what the max CPU cooler height will be, and check to ensure that what you are considering will fit. You don't want to have to bust out the Dremel to cut a hole in the side of your case so your cooler fits.

Regarding ram, your board says it can handle DDR3 with speed ratings up to 2800 mhz, when overclocked. I didn't find any with that speed rating on Newegg, but there is still plenty to choose from in 1600 and 1333 mhz, which are also supported. I suppose some of those could be overclockable to 2800, but I have no experience OC'ing ram. Some people say it's better to run multiple sticks to get to a desired total, rather than a single stick that provides the same amount (e.g. 2 x 8gb sticks vs. 1 x 16gb stick), due to use of dual-channel memory controllers on motherboards. Essentially ram access speeds are theoretically faster, because data can be pulled from both (or all four, if using all four slots) at the same time, rather than a single connection, which could create a bandwidth bottleneck. There's debate as to how this affects real-world applications, however. It can't hurt to go ahead and purchase multiples, just to be on the safe side. You can probably get away with 8gb at this point, but games are starting to list 16gb as a recommended spec more frequently now, so future-proofing is probably a good idea, especially since DDR3 is kind of a legacy product at this point. It won't be around forever, so buy what you think you might need while it's still readily available.

As for the GPU, I think a 1070 would probably serve your needs well for now, and for at least a couple more years at close to maxed for 1080p. OurSin is right that there's really no such thing as overkill on a GPU, but you're going to blow most of your $600 budget on a 1080, as opposed to being able to get a 1070 for $375 - $400 right now. Keep in mind that you will want to remove all the AMD-based drivers for the r9 before installing an Nvidia-based card, and drivers. There are some programs that are designed to scrub your system for any remaining drivers, and that's probably a good idea when making a change of that type. I've not switched chip manufacturers personally since I started building (I'm also a relative neophyte), so others can likely elaborate on this further based on their experience.

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio:

Hows this..

RAM : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568

CASE: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811146190

FANS: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006&cm_re=cougar_vortex-_-35-553-006-_-Product

CPUFAN: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103218

GPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127947&ignorebbr=1

$630 total

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@evildeathsyth: Looks like it's right in the ballpark of your budget, and everything should play nicely together. You might consider the matte black and blue version of the case, if you want a bit of color, which you said you like. It would compliment the other blue components nicely. You could probably get away with just about any additive fans (if you want to save a few bucks) but those Cougars move a lot of air and are very quiet. I've actually seen some reviews of the S340 case that suggested that the two pre-installed case fans (on the top and back, for exhaust) are sufficient for cooling without need for additional fans on the front to pull in air. I didn't really want to chance it, though, so I added those two. If you really want to tumble down a rabbit hole, start researching the pros and cons of positive, negative, and neutral internal case air pressures. Yikes.

Coryukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Coryukin

Just going to say that I don't think overclocking is worth it in most cases. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money to overclock your current system. You might believe it is worth it though. I encourage you to watch this video and maybe a few others. But, you have to be able to get a pretty hefty overclock to see anywhere beyond a 5 percent performance increase. Probably the kind of overclock a Hyper212 can't give you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noi_snifAFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7KaTdiQxqw

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.