Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Novint Falcon Gaming Controller

• 64 results
    Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Renegade
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" @Renegade said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" Damn that's awesome.  I never would have thought of something like that.  A mouse will still be the most accurate way to play, but god damn it'd be more fun with that thing. "

I agree that any game with Falcon support is far more enjoyable with the Falcon than with the mouse, and I'd even say it makes the games feel like an entirely new experience (Try Doom 3 or F.E.A.R. for a couple of good examples of this), but I also think it's just as accurate. As I've mentioned, and also seen mentioned throughout the Novint community, with enough practice, you will be able to play at the same level as you did with the mouse, and even improve your gameplay in some cases (as mentioned by myself and takua108 in regards to the Spy in TF2, just as one example). I also thoroughly enjoy feeling directional damage, as this lets you pinpoint the location of your enemies immediately, as opposed to needing a few extra seconds to process the visual information provided by the red damage indicators. "
    Well, when using a mouse in quake 3, if I want strong accuracy say using the railgun (sniper) I keep my wrist on the table, controlling the mouse very steadily, and when I need constant corrections say with the lightning gun (steady stream of damage) I use my whole arm to aim.  With that falcon controller it looks like you have to use your arm the whole time, and I can't do flick shots as well like that.  It did look pretty precise in the videos though.  I guess with a mouse it is always sliding, so with a lifted arm any twitch or unsteadiness would affect your aim very noticeably, but using the falcon controller you're holding onto the pistol grip so maybe it's not a problem. "
    I'm glad you brought up flick shots, as that is something I've been asked before, in regards to if you can do them as well with the Falcon. One thing I've found is that, while playing Counter-Strike: Source, after practice, flick shots are just as easy, if not easier, with the Falcon. As you mentioned, you have a steadier hand with the Falcon, and slight movements will not throw your aim off. The movements with the Falcon are also much smoother, and it makes the environment easier to navigate. One thing I've actually noticed first hand is how bad third person shooters feel mouse, they just feel flat and odd to control. With the Falcon, there is a nice mix of mouse movement and joystick type movement (which you would find on a controller), resulting in, what I feel, is an ideal control scheme for third person games. Just my thoughts though, and something that everyone can try for themselves using our F-Gen drivers (If you have a Falcon) and can let me know your thoughts =) I'm really excited to both work on and play Mass Effect 2 and Dead Space once we get proper support for them through F-Gen. Should just be plain awesome =)
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By MrKlorox

I always wanted to try one, but the price always seemed too high for a maybe thing. 

I say a Buttkicker is as important, if not more important; albeit of an almost totally different technology application.

Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Renegade
    @MrKlorox said:

" I always wanted to try one, but the price always seemed too high for a maybe thing. I say a Buttkicker is as important, if not more important; albeit of an almost totally different application. "

Send me a PM and I'll get you the GB discount ;) Also, we have a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you aren't happy with it, you can just return it. Most people who have been hesitant at first though have ended up absolutely loving it. One example of this would be, well, me. Something that actually convinced me to want to apply my skills and work for Novint was my first experience with the device. I was very hesitant and doubtful of what it could do, and I too thought the mouse was the only way to go. However, once I got my hands on the device and played the tutorial and Half-Life 2 with it, I was absolutely blown away. If we get Falcon support for a game now, I only play that game with the Falcon. In fact, with our F-Gen drivers available now (can use the Falcon as a controller in all games) you'd be hard pressed to find me using the mouse in any game at all anymore.

Also, I agree that having a Buttkicker would be cool to. In general, using other types of feedback that involve stimulating your senses in some way, in conjunction with the Falcon stimulating your sense of touch, can make gaming all that more awesome.
    takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By takua108

I have to say, when I first got my Falcon up and running, the first thing I did was load up Half-Life 2: Episode Two. All I can say is: holy crap awesome times. Duct-tape your Falcon to your desk, and turn every setting up to max. When you go down that broken train car at the beginning as it collapses, the thing shakes and kicks awesomely. Then, you get the gravity gun, pick up a rock... the Falcon outputs a ridiculous amount of downwards force (due to the maxed settings); it feels like you're carrying a rock, or something. It's awesome. 

I didn't end up playing through the whole game again, but I also tried Portal and that was great too. Now I can't wait for the Portal pre/sequel and Episode Three (~2050ish, I'm thinking), so I can use the Falcon in more fun ways. 

Also, it's cool to see Valve pushing out Team Fortress 2 patches largely devoted to tweaking the Falcon integration.

Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Renegade
    @takua108 said:

" I have to say, when I first got my Falcon up and running, the first thing I did was load up Half-Life 2: Episode Two. All I can say is: holy crap awesome times. Duct-tape your Falcon to your desk, and turn every setting up to max. When you go down that broken train car at the beginning as it collapses, the thing shakes and kicks awesomely. Then, you get the gravity gun, pick up a rock... the Falcon outputs a ridiculous amount of downwards force (due to the maxed settings); it feels like you're carrying a rock, or something. It's awesome. 

I didn't end up playing through the whole game again, but I also tried Portal and that was great too. Now I can't wait for the Portal pre/sequel and Episode Three (~2050ish, I'm thinking), so I can use the Falcon in more fun ways. 

Also, it's cool to see Valve pushing out Team Fortress 2 patches largely devoted to tweaking the Falcon integration. "

I've heard of people taping their Falcon's down and maxing out the forces. I haven't done it myself, but I might at some point, as it just seems like it would be as awesome as you described.

We're actively working to get solid Falcon support in not only future Valve releases, but all major game releases, and I'm excited to be a part of that.

In regards to the Team Fortress 2 patches, we always work as quickly as possible (myself included) to get the forces developed for new TF2 updates and sent off to Valve to be fully implemented into the game. The dedicated section for the Falcon in the change log is nice to have from Valve =)
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By agentboolen

It looks like it might be able to replace the mouse for computer gaming but I would still have to try it before really thinking that.  Also I'm not sure how comfortable it would be constantly holding it the way you hold it, for example in a light gun game you don't have to keep the gun in the same position which makes me question if this would be really that fun for long periods of gaming.  

But I'd have a open mind to try it if Novint ever wanted to send me a freebie to try out    ;)

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#57  Edited By UncleDisco

How about sending one to the Giant Bomb office, so they can make a little quick look of it ? Im sure that would help the product alot.

Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Renegade
    @agentboolen said:
    " It looks like it might be able to replace the mouse for computer gaming but I would still have to try it before really thinking that.  Also I'm not sure how comfortable it would be constantly holding it the way you hold it, for example in a light gun game you don't have to keep the gun in the same position which makes me question if this would be really that fun for long periods of gaming.    But I'd have a open mind to try it if Novint ever wanted to send me a freebie to try out    ;) "
    In regards to comfort, for the first few hours, and during your first play session, your arm may get a bit sore. However, if you have an arm rest on your chair where you can rest your elbow, you will be fine after this. I've played 5-6 hour sessions of TF2 and had no issues. 

In regards to a free Falcon, I can't get you that, but I can get you the GB discount ;) PM me for more details.
    Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Renegade
    @FlemmingM said:

" How about sending one to the Giant Bomb office, so they can make a little quick look of it ? Im sure that would help the product alot. "

This is something that I've thought about doing on several occasions, and I will look into contacting Jeff directly offering this. I also welcome any GiantBomb staff reading this to PM me if you are interested, and I will get one sent in for a Quick Look within the week =)
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By Coombs
    @Renegade said:

" @Coombs said:

" Wow, While I'm 100% sure I will never get one of these, That's still pretty fucking badass "
    Glad you think it's badass =) In turn though, I'm curious as to what is stopping you from getting one. I like to know these types of things ;) "
    Two things,
    1. My computer is a piece of crap
    2. It's a little pricey for a controller (For me anyway) 

@Renegade said:

" @FlemmingM said:

" How about sending one to the Giant Bomb office, so they can make a little quick look of it ? Im sure that would help the product alot. "

This is something that I've thought about doing on several occasions, and I will look into contacting Jeff directly offering this. I also welcome any GiantBomb staff reading this to PM me if you are interested, and I will get one sent in for a Quick Look within the week =) "
    All it would take is someone setting up one of the Promo codes,
    Then if they could get three people to buy one the free one would go to giant bomb.
    One of the staff should set up a code and just give it to the community, The buyer would get the discount for using the code, And after 3 sales a free one would go to GB.  Are there 3 people here who would buy one?
    Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Renegade
    @Coombs said:

" @Renegade said:

" @Coombs said:

" Wow, While I'm 100% sure I will never get one of these, That's still pretty fucking badass "

Glad you think it's badass =) In turn though, I'm curious as to what is stopping you from getting one. I like to know these types of things ;) "
    Two things,
    1. My computer is a piece of crap
    2. It's a little pricey for a controller (For me anyway) 

@Renegade

said:

" @FlemmingM said:

This is something that I've thought about doing on several occasions, and I will look into contacting Jeff directly offering this. I also welcome any GiantBomb staff reading this to PM me if you are interested, and I will get one sent in for a Quick Look within the week =) "
    All it would take is someone setting up one of the Promo codes, Then if they could get three people to buy one the free one would go to giant bomb. One of the staff should set up a code and just give it to the community, The buyer would get the discount for using the code, And after 3 sales a free one would go to GB.  Are there 3 people here who would buy one? "
    I appreciate your reply. In regards to the price, I do feel like it's justified, given the sophistication and build quality of the Falcon itself (We don't use cheap parts), we do have the GB discount, that I've mentioned a few times in this thread. This is actually a great discount, and allows GB members to get the best deal currently available for the Falcon Pistol Grip bundle. Even though you don't think your computer is up to snuff, feel free to send me your specs and the games you'd want to play with it, and I'll let you know if it will work well with your setup. Along with this, I can make the GB members discount available to you.

In regards to a giveaway, I think if GiantBomb chooses to do the Quick Look (which I have now contacted them about) we will work with them to coordinate a good giveaway to go along with it =)
    Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Sushbag

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but one thing that kinda rocks about the Falcon compared to a mouse is that you never "hit the edge" of a mousepad and have to pick it up and set it back down. Like a joystick, you just turn as much as you want, which is great in an FPS where normally you'd have to increase mouse sensitivity enough to enable circle-strafing without having to pick the mouse up in the middle of the fight. 

And this is on top of the forces themselves, which have clearly been painstakingly designed to fit supported games. TF2 is my main shooter and every little thing has been taken into account when you play it with the Falcon. Like, even the shells being pushed into a shotgun during reload, it feels really satisfying. It's just something you don't think about until you play with one, it adds this dimension that goes a billion miles beyond force feedback.

Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Renegade
    @Sushbag said:

" I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but one thing that kinda rocks about the Falcon compared to a mouse is that you never "hit the edge" of a mousepad and have to pick it up and set it back down. Like a joystick, you just turn as much as you want, which is great in an FPS where normally you'd have to increase mouse sensitivity enough to enable circle-strafing without having to pick the mouse up in the middle of the fight.   And this is on top of the forces themselves, which have clearly been painstakingly designed to fit supported games. TF2 is my main shooter and every little thing has been taken into account when you play it with the Falcon. Like, even the shells being pushed into a shotgun during reload, it feels really satisfying. It's just something you don't think about until you play with one, it adds this dimension that goes a billion miles beyond force feedback. "

Not hitting the edge of a mouse pad is actually a really good point, and is really helpful in not only an FPS environment, but RTS and TPS as well =D

Just to let everyone know, I can only make the exclusive GB discount available until March 6th, 2010, so be sure to PM me to secure your code if you're interested (Note: The code will be valid after March 6th, but you will need to request one before this date.) Afterwards, there will still be a discount available, but it will not be as significant.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, and keep the questions coming =)
    Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Renegade
    @Fragstoff said:

" uncomfortable, big, ugly, expensive, and no more accurate then a mouse,  the Falcon is a gimmick that will never, ever catch on. "

Thanks for the comments, I'll address what you brought up since you took the time to post:

1) Comfort level has never really been an issue for anyone I know after about the first 2 hours. Really, as I've mentioned, if you have a proper arm rest on your chair, you won't have any issues with comfort for even longer term gaming sessions.
    2) In terms of size, the footprint of the Falcon is the same as that of a standard mouse pad. If you have room for a mouse pad on your desk, you will have room for the Falcon. 
    3) Although looks is purely opinion and I wouldn't be able to refute what you think there, I've read many comments where people just love the look of it, and how sturdy and well built the Falcon is. I've heard many people say that they expected it to be made entirely of plastic, but the Falcon's base and arms, along with various other components, are made of high quality metals, and it is built to last. Personally, I think the Falcon looks sleek, and hey, it looks like the Portal gun from Portal, so I don't think that could possibly be a bad thing ;)
    4) I've justified why I believe the price is not too high for this type technology, but I won't delve into it further here. I have offered a discount to the members of the site here that is considerable, as I've enjoyed being a part of the community myself, and wanted to extend whatever I could to the members here.
    5) I never claimed it was more accurate than the mouse, but can be just as accurate as the mouse, as your statement implies. However, I personally (and many gamers in our community) and honestly feel I have improved with the Falcon, and have brought my skills in TF2, and other online games supported by the Falcon, to a higher level after an extended period of time utilizing it. 
    6) Although you may see it as a gimmick, we have real, high quality supported AAA titles out there, and they are as follows:

Half-Life 2  (Falcon Mod) 
    Half-Life 2: Episode 1
    Half-Life 2: Episode 2
    Portal
    Team Fortress 2
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Counter-Strike:Source
    Battlefield 2 
    Battlefield 2142 (Will be available very shortly)
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 
    Left 4 Dead 
    F.E.A.R.  (Falcon Mod)
    Prey (Falcon Mod)
    Doom 3  (Falcon Mod)
    Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil  (Falcon Mod)

This is only listing our currently available AAA titles, many of which are considered some of the best in the FPS genre. I cannot currently detail our upcoming AAA titles, but it's a pretty exciting lineup of the more popular games to be released in the past year/will be released this year.  To note, all of the support listed is official, unless I have explicitly listed it as a mod in brackets. Mods are just as fun and detailed as the officially supported titles though, but simply require a quick driver install to run correctly.

I think the official support from Valve and EA, both now and moving forward, is a powerful statement, and combined with our in house development on other titles that we will make functional through our proprietary F-Gen drivers, we have a very promising year ahead of us for game releases.

Again, I appreciate your comments. I will still work to get the GB community the best discount I can (Contact me through PM if you're interested and didn't see this thread/get a chance to contact me yet), and am open to any questions both here in this thread, and through PM =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.