Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Pachter comments on whether or not PC Gaming is dead

• 53 results
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

spoiler alert:

I watched this episode of pach-attack while I was chowing down today and thought I'd share.

Thoughts anyone?

edit: If you don't feel like watch the video, he says that PC games make up a small percent market.  At the end he claims that despite the problems PC gaming has,  as long as MMO's and Valve are around its not going anywhere.  One thing I thought was weird about that Blizzard was not included alongside Valve.  Maybe I missed it, but the only Blizzard related thing he talked about was WoW.  If you're going to say that Valve is keeping PC gaming afloat, Blizzard deserves credit as well (not just WoW).
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Didn't he say RDR would not sell? 

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By masterherocard

PC Gaming will never die, not while the use of computers is crucial to modern society. However, there will be numerous people (myself included) who will not play much, as PC gaming proves to be much less consumer friendly than consoles.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

Haha, did you see the episode where some guy asked if Ubisoft's DRM tactics were good or bad for their bottom line?  A totally legitimate question.  Instead of answering it he just flipped out about throwing everybody in jail.  Shit was pretty funny.  The guy is basically Jim Sterling in a suit, just saying the most inflammatory thing that enters his head in order to provoke controversy/hits/attention/profile (take your pick).

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

He's a pc troll, I know him since my days at gametrailers, he hates pc gamers.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gike987

"Monitors aren't that great?" 
    He's so well informed.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By yinstarrunner

PCs have such massive market penetration that its hard to see pc gaming going anywhere.  It's here to stay, but it might evolve into things more like farmville and stupid shit like that.

Also, the wide-open nature of PCs still make it the natural haven of indie games, and even though XBLA is trying to make the push towards that kind of environment,  I don't see them surpassing the PC on that point anytime soon.

Another thing is the ease of porting.  Most games on 360 can be easily ported to Windows since they share the same kind of basic architecture.  It takes minimal amount of time and effort to half-ass a PC port, so little money that even though the PC makes up a smaller market than the consoles, publishers still make money on PC even though they lose some sales due to piracy.  It doesn't work the other way around, though.   A game made specifically for a PC interface will probably not work on consoles as well due to control issues.

Plus there's the emulation side of things.  As more NESes eventually break due to old age around the world, PC emulators are going to end up being one of the last bastions for retro gaming outside of the Wii Virtual Console and Game Room (What a joke that is, though.)

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @Jimbo said:
    "Haha, did you see the episode where some guy asked if Ubisoft's DRM tactics were good or bad for their bottom line?  A totally legitimate question.  Instead of answering it he just flipped out about throwing everybody in jail.  Shit was pretty funny.  The guy is basically Jim Sterling in a suit, just saying the most inflammatory thing that enters his head in order to provoke controversy/hits/attention/profile (take your pick). "

LOL, and thats just more reason for me to not take him seriously as an analyst. People only really listen to him because he's very easy to get ahold.
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @gike987 said:
    " "Monitors aren't that great?"  He's so well informed. "
    I definitely don't see any consoles running games at native 2560x1600
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

When Valve and Blizzard go out of business, it will be time to start worrying about PC gaming.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Jimbo said:

" Haha, did you see the episode where some guy asked if Ubisoft's DRM tactics were good or bad for their bottom line?  A totally legitimate question.  Instead of answering it he just flipped out about throwing everybody in jail.  Shit was pretty funny.  The guy is basically Jim Sterling in a suit, just saying the most inflammatory thing that enters his head in order to provoke controversy/hits/attention/profile (take your pick). "

What episode was this?

Also the dude seems cool and all but he seems to be working to create his own profile more than anything.
    And as Laughing man says, the dude always says something will tank, then a month later he admits he's wrong. He's a great analyst.

(I found the episode, 118 I think.)
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @gike987 said:

Do you think Pachter even knows that computer monitors can do more than 1080p, and that it isn't just an an upscaled image?
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By warxsnake

PC is an open platform, so nothing can force it to die, unlike a closed console system.  

Also I'm more than happy to play multiplatform games, most of which turn out to be superior on PC, and available to purchase at the click of a button and ready to play in a few hours. 

I will say one thing, Steam did save the PC gaming market from being any more fragmented and dissolved than it already was, and now, more than ever, we have an incredibly strong and unified service bringing everything together. Some people may disagree that a unified service is a good thing, but at least on PC, they have a CHOICE not to use it. The entire platform is driven by choice, the most important value in the gaming industry.

In my point of view, PC is stronger than ever, because of such services, and because hardware costs are at an all-time low, mixed with the fact that most games are, again, multiplatform, thus sticking to a certain threshold of specification requirements that the PC, in this console generation, has surpassed since 2006/07.  

I could still be running all these new games just fine on my 2007 setup which consisted of a quad core, 4GB of ram and an 8800GTX. But I'm also a 3D artist so I need double to triple the hardware capability. 

Also, Pacter is a dumb moron, who spews out bullshit every episode he gets. I find it funny he acts like such a baby every time he says something risky, he's like "ok yeah you flamers are probably goign to blahblahblah" and then he goes on to flame away every chance he gets (mostly at pc gamers). Go watch that marvelous episode where he "answers" a question about RTS games by bringing up all the downsides of Turn-Based strategy games. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Fallen189

God, not this again.

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @gike987 said:

Do you think Pachter even knows that computer monitors can do more than 1080p, and that it isn't just an an upscaled image? "
    Most console games run in native 720p or less, which PC gamers were probably already experiencing a decade ago.  Any xbox game that "runs" in 1080p is just upscaled.  There are a few PS3 games that run in native 1080p... I think MGS4 is one of them
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo
    @Ineedaname: 118.  

Great, now I'm part of the problem.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seedofpower

The man is a twat. Valve makes millions off of Steam and if you look at the Steam stats, the service peaks at 2.1 million users a day. That shows  that it isn't a declining market by any means. Also, Blizzard is still very much a PC exclusive company, Starcraft 2 is going to destroy any game sales record this summer.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Detrian

PC has been "dead" for the better part of a decade and it is stupid thinking that the bloated superstar that is Valve and the slow as molasses Blizzard is keeping the medium afloat when PC exclusive games have been doing it.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Jimbo said:

" @Ineedaname: 118.    Great, now I'm part of the problem. "

We all are.
     According to him we're all "Flamers" for providing a different argument/perspective.

P.s. you all deserve to go to jail.
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @Detrian said:
    " PC has been "dead" for the better part of a decade and it is stupid thinking that the bloated superstar that is Valve and the slow as molasses Blizzard is keeping the medium afloat when PC exclusive games have been doing it. "
    Just to clarify. You are saying games exclusive to the PC are keeping PC gaming afloat instead of Valve and Blizzard?
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

I like Pachter, plus, he has a Devo hat behind him.

No Caption Provided

Now, crack that whip Giant Bomb.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

PS3 more powerful than any PC uguys

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @Jimbo said:

" @Ineedaname: 118.    Great, now I'm part of the problem. "

We all are.  According to him we're all "Flamers" for providing a different argument/perspective.  P.s. you all deserve to go to jail. "
    I'll go to Jail. As long as i get to bring my pc.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By thatfrood

You know, I don't really care if people say it's dying or isn't. As far as I can tell, all the games I want to play are coming out for it. So you can scream it's dying or it isn't, I'm just gonna keep playing my games on it in the meantime.
    kthanks.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sanious

For being an analyst, he's not a good analyst at all. 

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Gabriel
    @Claude said:
    " I like Pachter, plus, he has a Devo hat behind him.

No Caption Provided

Now, crack that whip Giant Bomb. "
    You won life
    Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Azrail
    @ryanwho: nice troll attempt  =) 

btw stop hurting the name ryan, its mine too jerk
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @ThatFrood said:
    " You know, I don't really care if people say it's dying or isn't. As far as I can tell, all the games I want to play are coming out for it. So you can scream it's dying or it isn't, I'm just gonna keep playing my games on it in the meantime. kthanks. "
    I think you make a great point.  I'm really interested to hear what reactions people have after watching this pach-attack episode, but you also bring it back to what gaming is all about: if you have a blast playing a game then play that game.  In the end, endless debates and sales numbers don't matter.  What matters is enjoying yourself and having a good time with your friends.  On the flip-side, I still think its great to have a healthy debate... whether it be about the status of PC gaming or whether or not Pachter carries in credibility in your eyes.
    Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Demokk

In my opinion, PC gaming is far from dead. Not only thanks to Blizzard and Valve (Steam included), but also to many of the multiplatform games that run nicely on PC.

The biggest vulnerabilities that the PC has are both the piracy and that it is less user friendly (have in mind that system requirements and all the technical stuff are an obstacle to people who aren't that tech-savy). Regarding piracy.. For instance, I live in a third world country where people really lack an education and even common sense. A lot of people here are lazy and selfish, and even if they have money they just prefer to pirate as much as they can. Seeing that happen close to me, it is really evident that consoles are harder to pirate than just having a PC.

Despite all that, I consider myself primarily a PC gamer, but I also play games on consoles considerably.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rowr

PC gaming is fine. Better this year than it has been in a while.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
    @Azrail said:

" @ryanwho: nice troll attempt  =)  btw stop hurting the name ryan, its mine too jerk "

So you enter the Pachter PC thread clueless about one of the most infamous things he said regarding PCs. Good work fool.
    me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By me3639

i like Practer but really he is nothing more than an ESPN analyst. Anyone can believe they are an expert, but until the game is played in all reality their words dont mean shit.

For example: I am predicting Halo: Reach will sell 4, maybe 5 million copies. See, I am an expert. 

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33  Edited By mrhankey
    @Jimbo:  I think you fail to see that he did answer the question. He very much does think its ok for Ubisoft to use it's DRM, and that (as he has said many times) the pc scene makes up around 6 to 10 percent of the market, therefore he implied that not having the pc market wouldn't hurt ubisoft very much.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Yay more Patcher hate for him doing his job. Damn, people show so much hate for this guy and I don't get it. His job is to look at sale sheets and make predicitons. 

"this guy is such a moron blah blah blah" 

He's a moron for making an educated guess based on the data and trends available to him? He knows he's going to be wrong half the time, but he's doing his damn job for crying out loud.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho
    @mrhankey said:
    " @Jimbo:  I think you fail to see that he did answer the question. He very much does think its ok for Ubisoft to use it's DRM, and that (as he has said many times) the pc scene makes up around 6 to 10 percent of the market, therefore he implied that not having the pc market wouldn't hurt ubisoft very much. "
    It would hurt their advertizement campaigns to not have PC bullshots at their disposal. Without a PC port they can't have great looking ads running AC2 on PC with everything maxed out with "actual gameplay" in the corner then show giant 360/PS3 logos at the end. So the PC is pretty essential because Ubi's success is largely contingent on their massive ad campaigns. And an actual analyst would probably factor this in.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36  Edited By mrhankey
    @ryanwho: 
     Do you think they need to release a pc version to the masses to make great ad campaigns? That is quite the assumption. All i'm saying is that the PC market isn't that big, therefore losing that segment of the market wouldn't hurt them as much as you'd like to think. All i'm saying is that he did, in fact answer the question. Basically by citing the low number of pc gamers and by voicing his support of DRM he has basically said it will not hurt their revenue. I'm merely explaining that he did in fact answer the question.  
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By CL60
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    " Yay more Patcher hate for him doing his job. Damn, people show so much hate for this guy and I don't get it. His job is to look at sale sheets and make predicitons.  "this guy is such a moron blah blah blah"  He's a moron for making an educated guess based on the data and trends available to him? He knows he's going to be wrong half the time, but he's doing his damn job for crying out loud. "
    Dude at one point he said the PS3 is more powerful then any PC in the world...
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho
    @mrhankey said:
    " @ryanwho:   Do you think they need to release a pc version to the masses to make great ad campaigns? That is quite the assumption. All i'm saying is that the PC market isn't that big, therefore losing that segment of the market wouldn't hurt them as much as you'd like to think. All i'm saying is that he did, in fact answer the question. Basically by citing the low number of pc gamers and by voicing his support of DRM he has basically said it will not hurt their revenue. I'm merely explaining that he did in fact answer the question.   "
    Every ad they do shows shots from the PC version and they have some of the biggest ad campaigns of any publisher and that reflects in the numbers their highly advertised games get. Its as much of an assumption as 1+1=2. Not everyone does this but Ubisoft does so for them, the PC version is still worth it.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @CL60 said:
    " @PrimeSynergy said:
    " Yay more Patcher hate for him doing his job. Damn, people show so much hate for this guy and I don't get it. His job is to look at sale sheets and make predicitons.  "this guy is such a moron blah blah blah"  He's a moron for making an educated guess based on the data and trends available to him? He knows he's going to be wrong half the time, but he's doing his damn job for crying out loud. "
    Dude at one point he said the PS3 is more powerful then any PC in the world... "
    He said it's probably more powerful the MOST PCs out there which is a reasonable statement. The Cell in the PS3 is pretty sophisticated and when compared to just a cpu from almost any gaming desktop it would blow it out the water. The Cell has a lot more raw processing power, but having an i7 and a w/e video card just makes more sense as it's a hell of lot more practical and easier to code for. Hence why you saw so many stories of people using PS3 instead of supercomputers to process data. Get enough of those bad boys in a room and it's cheaper and just as good.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo
    @mrhankey said:

" @ryanwho:   Do you think they need to release a pc version to the masses to make great ad campaigns? That is quite the assumption. All i'm saying is that the PC market isn't that big, therefore losing that segment of the market wouldn't hurt them as much as you'd like to think. All i'm saying is that he did, in fact answer the question. Basically by citing the low number of pc gamers and by voicing his support of DRM he has basically said it will not hurt their revenue. I'm merely explaining that he did in fact answer the question.   "

No, he didn't answer the question at all.  Nobody listens to Pachter for moral guidance, he's supposed to be a business analyst.   "I think it's morally OK for them to do it." is in no way, shape or form a legitimate answer to the question "Was it a wise choice?  Won't this lead to lower sales?".  It's the important question and one which I would have been very interested in hearing an actual answer to (whatever the truth is).  Instead we just got more of the usual hysteria we get out of the games media.

As for your other post:  no business in the world - and particularly one running at a loss as Ubisoft did last year - is going to say "Oh, this only accounts for 8% of our sales, so it doesn't really matter what effect this has".  8% is a big deal - and this doesn't even take into account that they probably make more profit on each $ of PC sales than they do on each $ of 360/PS3 sales.
    gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @Detrian said:
    " PC has been "dead" for the better part of a decade and it is stupid thinking that the bloated superstar that is Valve and the slow as molasses Blizzard is keeping the medium afloat when PC exclusive games have been doing it. "
    What are you even talking about? If you're talking about the number of people playing PC games being an indicator that it's dead then you're very wrong indeed. More people than ever are playing games on their PC, the fact that many of those people are either playing casual games or MMO's is irrelevant the audience is still there and is growing. Anyway for those who want to play "traditional" games Valve has your back putting many of those quality titles into an easy to access and streamlined service and giving you a discount on the price to boot! PC exclusives just like console exclusives are a dying breed, with the costs of development becoming so insane it doesn't make sense to limit your market.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to GT.com for the video quality, looking at trailers released for some games, and nothing else.

Out of their entire panel they had, at one point, 1 guy who partially defended the PC and its player base during one of their more or less inane talks. The fact that they couldn't get Crysis running on higher than medium for its release and left it outside on their top list for graphics that year didn't help my views on them back then either.

They're a bunch of console fanboys, and when it comes to computers they are nothing short of incompetent. Extremely so. Watching GT for PC footage is like watching Fox News for actual news. It just doesn't add up.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Snail

I had completely forgotten about this guy.

God, he's funny.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Tennmuerti

After some one has made a thread on GB about him being in one of the videos, I went to watch a couple.
    Having seen a few vids with his comments I never bother to watch or listen to anything coming out of his mouth ever again.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Azrail
    @Asrahn: so true =)
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Detrian
    @gunslingerNZ said:
    " @Detrian said:
    What are you even talking about? If you're talking about the number of people playing PC games being an indicator that it's dead then you're very wrong indeed. More people than ever are playing games on their PC, the fact that many of those people are either playing casual games or MMO's is irrelevant the audience is still there and is growing. Anyway for those who want to play "traditional" games Valve has your back putting many of those quality titles into an easy to access and streamlined service and giving you a discount on the price to boot! PC exclusives just like console exclusives are a dying breed, with the costs of development becoming so insane it doesn't make sense to limit your market. "
    Nice job writing a huge chunk of text in response to a sentence you don't understand.
    lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lhaymehr

Such a pointless thread.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @Detrian: Nice job making clearly inaccurate statements then claiming people simply don't understand them. Point me to some exclusives which have kept the PC alive that aren't from Blizzard since you think they have so little influence.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kazona

Blizzard is not keeping PC gaming afloat, with the exception of WoW. This is not a slight against Blizzard, but they simply don't have enough releases to actually say they're keeping PC gaming alive. Valve, however, has Steam, and that is definitely serving to keep the PC relevant. 

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blueman

Got to love the Pach.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.