Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC components not necessary but fun to have

Spagooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spagooty

Having gotten into saving up for a proper PC set up I at least have gotten down pat, the idea of picking up the essentials first.

However I figure there is always a guilty pleasure for those of us new to building PC's and those who have been doing it for a while.

Thankfully for me it's something that isn't expensive and that is LED fans and the like.

What is everyone else's guilty pleasure?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By amafi

For me it's game controllers etc stuff.

HOTAS and pedals, 7 gamepads,3 different mechanical keyboards, 1600p 30" monitors, things like that.

Almost bought a wheel for driving games the other day and I hate driving games.

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

alternate controllers, whether they be hotas/wheel/razer hydra or weird VR stuff.

I wouldn't put it under 'fun to have' but a mouse bungie is possibly the best 10$ I ever spent any anything mouse related.

Guilty pleasure has to be mechanical keyboards though. There's such variety and the minute differences are really enjoyable. Super interesting niche piece of gear.

Heck, you might even like splurging on a nice chair.

Oh yeah my other guilty pleasure is big honkin coolers like the NH-D14 and NH-D15.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TrackIR in addition to all that stuff Amafi said.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Footpedals for hands-free inputs (push to talk, etc)
    - Proper soundcard from something like M-Audio instead of a terribly marked up PC-user gamer branded piece of waste
    - Same but for a network interface card

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Still really want to get a Cintiq to replace my wacom tablet and a 3dConnexion SpacePilot 3d mouse for doing 3d DCC/CAD stuff.

No Caption Provided

And a Makerbot. And VR goggles.

I mean. Just LOOK at how cool that thing is!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've always wanted a racing wheel but I totally don't have the space for a good setup nor do I really play racing games that often.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Sound Card

Spagooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spagooty

I think once I look into getting a nice chair that is going to be my thing. I'll like nothing more then to have not only an effective set up but a comfortable one.

I hate to say it because most people I talk to don't bother getting these but having wrist rests for both my keyboard and to a lesser extent my mouse is almost essential to me.

kzebski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

a DVD drive

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use LED fans, but I love getting different LED kits (giant case window on side) and remotes to see what I like best. Pretty cheap and quick to install. A nice usb 3.0 or even a decent 2.0 ac powered hub is also fantastic.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Does an SSD count?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ezekiel

A Blu-ray drive so that I can watch Blu-rays without having to hear my loud PS3, without having to navigate annoying menus with my controller and without having to use my mediocre official PS3 headset. I want to watch with my Sennheiser headphones. But so far I only have one Blu-ray. The rest of my movies and shows are pirated.

A racing wheel, but they're expensive and probably annoying to move around and I'd only play Grid and Project Cars with it.

An Oculus Rift, but the only games I'd play with it are Alien: Isolation and Project Cars.

A new mouse, even though mine works. A very light one that's simple and a little bigger than a fingertip grip.

An external hard drive for backups.

@ajamafalous said:

Does an SSD count?

I'd say so.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never understood why people put extra leds on their PC. They do my head in. I don't even connect the power led most of the time.

On topic, I have spent an inordinate amount of money over the years making my PCs as small and quiet as possible. Apart from the other obvious disadvantages compared to a PC, playing on a console is really jarring to me because they all sound like hair dryers. My launch PS3 in particular gives a good simulation of what it must sound like in a wind tunnel.

Hardywells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb said:

I've never understood why people put extra leds on their PC. They do my head in. I don't even connect the power led most of the time.

On topic, I have spent an inordinate amount of money over the years making my PCs as small and quiet as possible. Apart from the other obvious disadvantages compared to a PC, playing on a console is really jarring to me because they all sound like hair dryers. My launch PS3 in particular gives a good simulation of what it must sound like in a wind tunnel.

A well lighted PC will be one that you don't directly see the LEDs.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sound card and bluray drive

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A device that self-destructs whenever it suspects that someone has stolen your PC and is trying to pry into sensitive data, blowing your computer to smithereens in a wild explosion of flame and smoke.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Led lights attached around the side fans. They look cool, but otherwise serve no purpose.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Two things I'd like to have but (as far as I know) don't exist: a Roland MT-32 (or LAPC-1) emulator (since the cards are ISA and they ain't gonna work in any machine made in the last ten years) so I can hear the super good sound from old PC games (hearing the AdLib sound/music from Wing Commander these days depresses me - I spent a lot of money on that LAPC-1 [and the turbo buttoned 386] to hear the good stuff back in the day), a USB 5.25" floppy drive would be really useful as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Multiple monitors

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A really nice set of speakers/headphones.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would say headphones at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.