Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Pc games... What am i missing..?

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By KimParnage

So.... 

I Bought this new laptop 2 weeks ago.. the idea was that i wanted to throw the old Stationary pc out and the table which it stood on, getting that much more space in my apartment.. So i did just that, bought a laptop that was just supposed to be for browsing the internet, having my small programs on a so on..  Well.. I bought the laptop on sale, a little cheap Acer model, came home, plugged it in, set it up, and installed some demoes and benchmarks just to see what this puppy can do.. Turns out that this little machine can run some games!

See, i've been doing all my gaming on the Xbox 360 for the last couple of years, and i've actually forgotten how much i love playing on the PC. The most PC gaming i did since i got my 360 is a little torchlight and a little Champions Online, which my old PC had some serious issues running..  But now that i got the new thing, i had to buy some games for it AND install some of my old favourites..  

This is where you (the guy or girl who, somehow, got lost on the site and ended up on some random blog entry) come in.. below this i have written down the games i have installed on the computer.. What i want from you is to look at it and go: "DUDE! YOU TOTALLY NEED TO GET (Insert game of your choice here)" or something like: "Dude what the hell are you doing! That/those games SUCK!".. 

You could of course write something original and creative, but that's for you to decide and me to find out.. :) 

By the way.. I know this list of games is kind of wierd and a lot of the games are old and/or really bad.. 

Anyway, here are the games i got so far: 

GTA IV (Got it on GFWL on sale) 
    Viva Pinata (Played the Xbox 360 version, so naturally i had to play the whoooole thing aaaall over again on PC..) 
    Torchlight (Way into RPGs)
    Champions Online (Only a demo, just to check out the GFX)
    Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter  (Played the original games back when they cam out, so its a nostalgia thing for me) 
    Carnivores 1,2, Ice Age and Cityscape (They're stupid, old and...... stupid.. But i played them back when i was a kid..)
    Hellgate London (No Further Comments..) 
    Where's Waldo: The Fantastic Journey (Don't even ask) 
    Peggle Nights 
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 

So there you go..! Let out all your ideas, or even feel free to ask what the hell is wrong with me for having these wierd ass games..! 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Browse this site's past years' sections and bookmark whatever seems interesting to you.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Dude! Those game SUCK! 

Except for GTA IV.

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KimParnage

Forgot to mention, since i play alot of new games on the 360, i'm looking for something either PC exclusive or something a little obscure..

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Dude! Those game SUCK!  Except for GTA IV. "
    so you're saying peggle sucks

I shall meet you with guns at dawn
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Three0neFive

Oh thank god, I thought this was going to be another "pc is ded lol pc gamers r elitest rofl" thread.

Anyway, if you're a fan of RTSes (or are interested in them but feel intimidated because all the really popular ones are batshit insane - looking at you, Starcraft) I highly reccommend Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2. CoH is based in WW2, looks really good, and is a little slower-paced than your typical RTS yet has a really up close and personal feeling to it. DoW2 is very similar, only it further simplifies the formula by eliminating base building.

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KimParnage
    @AlwaysAngry: Dude, i totally know.. I got this wierd idea that i for some reason got to have the most obscure, dumbass titles on the PC! :P
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Laketown said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    so you're saying peggle sucks  I shall meet you with guns at dawn "
    I've never played peggle, but It looks...stupid. You shoot a ball around, I don't understand all the love it gets.
    KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KimParnage
    @AlwaysAngry: Until you try it... Peggle is a game you wont understand until you get your hands on it..
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @TheRandomKo said:
    " @AlwaysAngry: Until you try it... Peggle is a game you wont understand until you get your hands on it.. "
    They said the same about Mass Effect. 

Mass Effect made me want to stab BioWare employees just to watch them bleed.
    KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KimParnage
    @Three0neFive said:
    " Oh thank god, I thought this was going to be another "pc is ded lol pc gamers r elitest rofl" thread.  Anyway, if you're a fan of RTSes (or are interested in them but feel intimidated because all the really popular ones are batshit insane - looking at you, Starcraft) I highly reccommend Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2. CoH is based in WW2, looks really good, and is a little slower-paced than your typical RTS yet has a really up close and personal feeling to it. DoW2 is very similar, only it further simplifies the formula by eliminating base building. "

Once i posted, i realised it could look that way, even though it wasn't intended.. 

I appreciate the RTS idea, but i've never really been into those games.. Sure i played a little C&C and Red Alert back when the first one came out, but thats it.. Well.. Unless you count the obscure, like Spellforce or Startopia.. 
    KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KimParnage
    @AlwaysAngry: well, get yourself a demo and go to town..! You wont know until you try, and if you didn't pay for it, it doesn't hurt if you hate it..
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By raviolisumo

Sam and Max 301 : The Penal Zone. Heck, just buy all of the old seasons too. 

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KimParnage
    @Wes899 said:
    " Sam and Max 301 : The Penal Zone. Heck, just buy all of the old seasons too.  "
    Not a bad idea sir... definitely not a bad idea..  :)
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    I've never played peggle, but It looks...stupid. You shoot a ball around, I don't understand all the love it gets. "

cause you havent played it. its really good maybe try a demo though saying something sucks without playing it makes you look like an ass
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Fallen189

Dawn of War 2 is a must have.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By timay

You should install steam and say hello to weekend deals and goodbye to your money.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By captain_clayman
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    I've never played peggle, but It looks...stupid. You shoot a ball around, I don't understand all the love it gets. "

exactly
    you will hate peggle until you play it.  it's just one of those games.   but when you play it you wont hate it.

but anyways, dude i say get orange box, durr!  it's an instant buy for PC (make sure you have a decent mouse though)
    also if you like torchlight and you haven't played diablo 2 there's something wrong with you but i'm sure you've played it, right?
    joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#19  Edited By joey

Orange Box.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#20  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Games I'd recommend for you: 

Telltale adventure games - Sam and Max and Monkey Island are superb and pretty darn funny. 
    Titan Quest & expansion - Great hack-and-slash RPG.  The online servers have been down for a while, but as a cheap single-player game, there's a lot to like. 
    Space Rangers 2 - I get a lot of grief for liking this one, but I love it.  It's a fantastically addictive game with a lot of personality. 
    The Witcher - Badass RPG game with gritty atmosphere and a fantastic story. 
    Silent Storm Gold - The single best turn-based strategy combat game since Jagged Alliance 2.  That's not saying much since it's a pretty dead genre, but it's still a hell of a game. 
    Galactic Civ 2 - You're not going to find a meatier game on the PC at the moment, if you can get into it.  This is not exactly pick-up-and-play material, but if you can handle that, it's awesome. 
    Civilization 4 - Well, it's Civilization.  If the name Sid Meier does nothing for you, then move on. 
    Sims 3 - One hell of an improvement over the last one, and the old formula is still a lot of fun. 

Also, you might want to check out Direct2Drive during the next few weeks.  They're having weekly sales on a lot of their games at some pretty good prices.  Steam also has Left 4 Dead 2 on sale right now for around $20.  It's fantastic on the computer, but I know you were looking for PC exclusives.  In that same vein, Trine (again, on Steam) is on sale for $5.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

I have a PC, but my wife got a Toshiba laptop. It has an integrated graphics chip, 4500MHD. Here's my list of games that I tried. Most run, but the resolutions on some are stuck in the old school mode.

Games I own that should run on my Wife's 4500MHD laptop.

Good gaming goodness.

1. Grim Fandango

How about that.

2. Deus Ex

Why not? The laptop has 500gb of memory.

3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Sure.

4. The Longest Journey

Gotcha.

5. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way

Haven't seen you in a while.

6. Sid Meier's SimGolf

Where's my sequel.

7. Beyond Good & Evil

A good one.

8. Medieval: Total War

A pretty old game, should play on the laptop.

9. NASCAR Racing 2002 Season

Not as good as 2003, but cool none the less.

10. MVP Baseball 2005

One of the best ever.

11. Madden NFL 2005

I haven't played a Madden game in a while. Roster sucks, but who cares. Maybe there's a mod.

12. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
    13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
    14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    16. Sid Meier's Civilization IV
    VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VoshiNova

Dude how is laptop running GTAIV?

That game eats most desktop processors, oh and I suggest you buy one of the Deus Ex's.
    They're both really good (I ended up liking the second one more in the long run) and are easy to run.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowshi
    @Three0neFive said:
    " Oh thank god, I thought this was going to be another "pc is ded lol pc gamers r elitest rofl" thread.  Anyway, if you're a fan of RTSes (or are interested in them but feel intimidated because all the really popular ones are batshit insane - looking at you, Starcraft) I highly reccommend Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2. CoH is based in WW2, looks really good, and is a little slower-paced than your typical RTS yet has a really up close and personal feeling to it. DoW2 is very similar, only it further simplifies the formula by eliminating base building. "
    The only reason you thought that, is because that's what you turn every thread into.  >.>
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Meowshi said:
    " @Three0neFive said:
    The only reason you thought that, is because that's what you turn every thread into.  >.> "
    I'll admit I may be a little (or a lot, depending on the case) aggressive to those who dismiss the platform and/or it's fans without reason, but honestly this is the internet and the only way people will listen to what you have to say is if you're extremely blunt.

But I digress, this isn't the place to get into such discussions, as I see no stupidity here.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By mosdl

Steam is always good for games on the PC.  Max Payne 1 and 2 are good pickups

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @TheRandomKo: Ok so job 1 is to install Steam and stop using GFWL. Then follow the suggests a lot of other people have put on here already, I'm surprised to hear your laptop runs GTAIV though that thing must be pretty powerful for a cheap computer.

I'll make some suggestions other people haven't yet though:
    • Altitude
    • Beat Hazard
    • Machinarium
    • Psychonauts
    • Portal 2 (when it comes out)
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By vager

DUDE! YOU TOTALLY NEED TO GET NOX!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By august
    @joey said:
    " Orange Box. "

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By korwin
    @Laketown said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    He also implied that Serious Sam sucks.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By rjayb89

If Trine is still on sale for $5, you should probably get that.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlasherMan

- The Witcher  
     - Dragon Age Origins + Awakening 
     - Trine as other have suggested
    - Orange Box and HL
    - King's Bounty + Armored Princess
    - World of Goo
    - Men of War
    - Mount and Blade + Warband  
    - Audiosurf
    - Company of Heroes
    - Empire Total War and any other Total War game
    - Killing Floor
    - Penumbra Series
    - Plants Vs Zombies
    - Machinarium
    - STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl + Call of Pripyat
    - Zeno Clash
    - Crysis + Warhead (even if the laptop can't handle it on the highest settings, it's still worth a playthrough)
     - Dawn of War 2

Broitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Broitman

If you're rediscovering the PC and are wanting to go back to it's roots go check out GOG.com, I personally fucking love that and have spent more than I would like there. I f had to suggest something Arcanum is a lot of fun and of course you can't go wrong with the old Fallout game but if you want newer stuff a lot of the  popcap games can be an ass ton of fun.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Dawn of War II 

All of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series 

Battlefield: Bad Company 2  

Mount & Blade 

Audiosurf 

ORANGE BOX!!!!

GreenChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GreenChaos
    @TheRandomKo said:

" Forgot to mention, since i play alot of new games on the 360, i'm looking for something either PC exclusive or something a little obscure.. "

PC exclusive strategy games: Civ 4,  Evil Genius,  Galactic civilizations 2, demigod.
    The best thing to do is just get steam.  Then wait for good sales.
    But most of my PC games are also on 360, not many PC only games any more other than MMOs and strategy games. 

GreenChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GreenChaos
    @Ivos:@Ivos said:
    " Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines is a must play for anyone with a PC. Buggy as hell, but with some fan patches you'll sort that right out. But even with the bugs, it's a hell of a good game. "
    Good one, this one is a classic and a must have RPG.
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By themangalist
    @Ivos said:
    " Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines is a must play for anyone with a PC. Buggy as hell, but with some fan patches you'll sort that right out. But even with the bugs, it's a hell of a good game. "
    THIS. /thread
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By raiz265
    @TheRandomKo said:
    " Hellgate London (No Further Comments..) "  

haha 

... :(
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By BlackHeronBlue
    @Ivos said:
    QFT. 

Also, Cryostasis. Wonderful game. And Of course Dragon Age, because this one only makes sense on the PC.
    Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Castro

First off, Peggle is awesome. Also, I would highly recommend Sins of a Solar Empire. Tales of Monkey Island is great as well. Actually, there are too many great PC games to just list them all here.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41  Edited By mrhankey
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    I'm gonna have to agree. Give us the specs on your laptop.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trophyhunter

less than nothing

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By oldschool

Seriously, you have to play Civilisation IV.  It is not a game, it is a lifestyle.  I cannot stress how great this game is.  You could just have that one game and die happy. 

@trophyhunter said:

" less than nothing "
    What is that game like?  It sounds interesting.
    Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Chyro

Mount and Blade - Download the demo off of STEAM.  It's a great game.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - Yes this game came out for xbox 360 but it was shit.  Download the PC demo and try it out.  It's a first person RPG.  It's definitely on my list of most underrated games ever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By JJOR64

Best PC game for all time.
    Best PC game for all time.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RsistncE

Step 1: Install Steam
    Step 2: Buy everything! (protip: killer weekend deals are killer)
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By Skytylz
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    I've never played peggle, but It looks...stupid. You shoot a ball around, I don't understand all the love it ge
     It's gay,  I played it and it was fun the first time I shot the ball or whatever but after that it was dumb.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Skytylz
    @Claude: I have simgolf on my laptop lol
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By Claude
    @Skytylz said:
    " @Claude: I have simgolf on my laptop lol "
    I dream of SimGolf 2. Why hasn't this happened?
    mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#50  Edited By mariussmit

Hi, 

If you enjoy GTA IV you should get the two expansion packs. They are only $20 on Steam at the moment. 
    The PC version of Dragon Age: Origins is also the definitive one in my opinion. 
    Also try some things from the Indie scene. I really enjoyed Machinarium, a point and click adventure game much like the Telltale ones mentioned above, just far less wordy. 
    Although Peggle has been flamed a bit on this topic so far :-) You should try Plants vs Zombies and Zuma, they make for wonderful diversions. 

Oh and lastly, a warning, if you can still help it and have not become addicted yet, do not play Farmville for goodness sake. It is a disease that has consumed the rest of my family. I feel like I like in some kind of farming zombie apocalypse. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.