Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC issues, need help :(

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shawn

I don't know what's up with this computer (XP) but every time I open my account it gives me some userint.exe error and then all I get is my wallpaper, absolutely nothing else, no toolbar, no icons, even if I press the windows key nothing comes up. The only way I'm getting my applications to open is through task manager but I don't know how to open control panel or anything from task manager. Can somebody help me out? Should I do a hard drive cleanup or something?

Thanks in advance

jkmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jkmetal

sounds like your explorer.exe is not working.

I don't know anything about your userint.exe error but I do know that if control alt delete, new task, and type in explorer.exe you'll get control panel the task bar the works.

Just make a new account and transfer your files. See if that works.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

maybe your computer sucks and you have 38,000 viruses?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By VACkillers

did you ever get this issue sorted? sounds like you might have installed something that the startup didn't like.... just boot up into safe mod and do a system restore... if u haven't sorted this out already

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Demilich

Take better care of your computer.

It's time for a reformat.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By xruntime
    Demilich said:
    "Take better care of your computer.

It's time for a reformat."
    http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live--how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

Those are some instructions. As Demilich said, next time you have to watch what you're downloading. If I had to guess, I'd say you were torrenting something (movies, music, games) and spyware or a virus got on your computer.

A virus will rarely enter your computer unless you let it.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

You dont necesarilly need to format. Sometimes its a real pain in the ass if you need to back up tons of data and go through recalibrating all your apps.

Get some decent anti spyware and anti virus. Run some scans. Do a disk cleanup. Run a defragment. Uninstall some shit. Do a registry clean. Go through and disable all the programs that run on startup that you dont need running in the background.

You should be able to eliminate most problems.

jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jtickner1

-- Whoops. Already been mentioned :P --

You could try a system restore for a few days back. System restore can fix many many problems (along with the traditional restart) 

If you don't know how to do a system restore, do this;

Start > Run > "restore" > Open rstrui.exe > Make sure "Restore my computer to an eariler  time" is checked and click next > Chose a date > click next 

With a system restore you will lose anything you've installed inbetween the date you've chose and the day you do it. No documents or anything like that will be lost, and as it says, it is completely reversible.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By xruntime

When you start getting errors like this, I'd recommend formatting because it'll make your computer feel new again.

jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jtickner1
    xruntime said:
    "When you start getting errors like this, I'd recommend formatting because it'll make your computer feel new again."

Yeah but an error like this can easily be fixed. Format is good, if you're someone who is into computers and tech like that. I format mine if the smallest thing goes wrong because I have no problem with it and I know how to do everything. System restore is a much easier alternative for someone who's never done it before. 
    I'm not saying the TC doesn't know anything about computers, just saying that a format is only good for extreme cases or for people like me who want their computer running as best it can all the time.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By VACkillers

i suspect this guy already fixed the issue anyway because of his lack to replies......

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Shawn

I kind of just, found a way around it.

But I think I will re-format. I wasn't the one downloading shit on my computer though >:(

*pouts*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.