Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC not detecting my graphics card properly

ajdass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ajdass1

Hi all, wondered if I could get some advice.

I bought a GTX 960 recently but my computer is detecting it as a GTX 760. How do I get it to detect my card properly?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe take out the card, switch to integrated graphics for a bit (by connecting your monitor to your motherboard via HDMI/Display Port or whichever video port you usually use), uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia drivers, and then put the card back in?

ajdass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Was this a secondhand card? Where did you buy it? Did someone put a 960 cooler on a 760 board and sell that?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Was this a secondhand card? Where did you buy it? Did someone put a 960 cooler on a 760 board and sell that?

this was my question too. Also if it's a second hand card and someone flashed the bios on the card for some reason, it's possible that it would identify as that. If it is a second hand GPU, i'd get out the screwdriver, thermal paste, and magnifying glass to start inspecting what exactly the card is. it's usually fairly simple to remove the cooler from the gpu, plus you can clean the core and heatsink with some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and apply some fresh thermal paste to keep it running nice.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OurSin_360

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions lol.

I would say before doing any hardware stuff, uninstall and reinstall all your latest drivers. Check if all programs are reading it as a 760, also check some benchmarking software just to be sure(Mainly do this if you bought it second hand somewhere). If your upgrading from a 760 then it may just mean you need to completely get rid of those old drivers and install the new ones.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What everyone else said.

Use "Display Driver Uninstaller" to scrub your drivers, then reinstall the drivers from scratch. Make sure you get your drivers from nowhere but nvidia.com.

HOWEVER: The 960 and the 760 are almost exactly the same in level of performance. The 960 is only ~4% faster in sythetic benchmarks, and about the same for games. Games can be between 0-10% more FPS on the 960.

So - even if you got tricked, and bought an actual 760... it really doesn't make a difference to you in performance. If you DO have a 960, don't worry if its detecting as a 760 - it wont actually run any worse.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

What everyone else said.

Use "Display Driver Uninstaller" to scrub your drivers, then reinstall the drivers from scratch. Make sure you get your drivers from nowhere but nvidia.com.

HOWEVER: The 960 and the 760 are almost exactly the same in level of performance. The 960 is only ~4% faster in sythetic benchmarks, and about the same for games. Games can be between 0-10% more FPS on the 960.

So - even if you got tricked, and bought an actual 760... it really doesn't make a difference to you in performance. If you DO have a 960, don't worry if its detecting as a 760 - it wont actually run any worse.

i always thought the difference between a 760 and 960 was more significant that that power wise but i could be wrong since i've never owned either of those cards.
    also 2nd for running DDU. with a reboot in between running it and installing the new drivers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.