Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC upgrade advice

spartica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spartica

I'm considering upgrading my PC. It's getting very out of date. I call it "The Potato masher." I'm not really sure which component would help the most. The main purpose of my PC is to play games, but with new games it can struggle to run them on low-medium settings with 60fps. I'm looking to stick with 1080p and nothing VR. I'm not looking to play every game max settings with a ridiculous frame rate either. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't keep up with latest trends would be appreciated.

MSI B85M-G43 LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX High Performance CF Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

GTX 950 2 GB

EVGA 500 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

KavaJava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm no mega expert or anything, but I think doubling your RAM and getting a new GPU would be the way to go if you don't want a full rebuild.

I have an RX 570 with 16 gb DDR3 and an i5-4 something or other (see, not an expert), and I'm almost never CPU bound. I can get by with a lot of games at medium/high settings in 1440p and 60ish fps. Destiny 2 runs well like that for instance. I'm fairly certain I need a full rebuild to upgrade from here, though.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Since you're sticking with 1080p:

Your CPU should be fine (for now) If my i5 4690K is any indication, give or take 3MHz or 7MHz.

I'll leave it up to you to buy more RAM. Some games, mainly open world games, generally prefer 16GBs, but 8GBs was still very usable for me. Still, wouldn't hurt to check your RAM/system memory usage while playing a game with MSI Afterburner to see if games are hitting that usage limit.

The 950 for sure is the biggest limiting factor here. As someone with a GTX 1060 6GB, I'd look into upgrading to something newer like a GTX 1660, 1660 Ti, or wait for more of AMD's Radeon RX 5000 "Navi" series of GPUs to be available in stores since those cards recently launched. Basically, a GPU that costs between $150 to $300 and has 6GBs of VRAM (along with the CUDA cores/stream processors and various clock speeds to appropriately accommodate the VRAM) seems about right for 1080p, depending on how many frames and eye candy you want.

Other than that, adding in a $20 to $30 120GB SSD to boot Windows and programs significantly faster is a great idea, and I wouldn't say that 1TB is enough storage these days, maybe not even 2TB. But you can cross those storage bridges when you get there since a GPU upgrade is the focus here.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd look at one of the AMD Ryzen R5 2xxx chips right now and an x470 or x370 motherboard and around 16GB of DDR4 RAM. They are all super cheap right now because of the new stuff that just launched and AMD's Ryzen 5 seem to do much better than Intel's i5 line recently. You can't go wrong.

As for graphics, it's hard to beat the Nvidia GTX 1660 or GTX 1660ti. Those are the best bang for your buck right now and they are also super cheap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.