Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Possible to play turn-based games via remote desktop?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

I was wondering how remote desktop actually works. I have no idea how it works as I've never had a reason to use it since I just take my laptop with me. But i was curious if I could play a game like civ 5 via remote desktop. The latency wouldn't be an issue. But is remote desktop using the PC hardware and then sending just an image of that PC's desktop or is there a bottleneck with regards to the PC hardware you are using to view the remote desktop?

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By yorro

Is this through the net? or LAN?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

Seems plausible. I can only play turn based PC games when using a mouse with the living room TV because of latency.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikewhy

Remote Desktop / Streaming means the client (the device that will be streamed to), can be rather underpowered. Like a tablet or a Chromebook.

You can use RDP, but games "full screen" modes won't work because they can't access that full screen in a remote desktop.

You will need to forward ports to your computer that will be the host.

The bottleneck would most likely be with your internet connection on the host, followed by the connection on your client, followed by the hardware in the host, and finally, the hardware in the client.

You can use OpenVPN + Steam In-Home Streaming, which is a little more involved. Bonus then is you can add other non-Steam shortcuts and stream them to your heart's content.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh jeez didn't notice this was a necro.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Necro'ed by some sort of bot. Alarms started to go off in my head just reading that post.

Broken english? Check.

Asking you to download software? Check.

Not a subscriber account with a generated name? Check.

Flagging that post so no one ends up with their computer ending up being used by some script kiddie who needs to DDOS my Furby 2.0.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.