Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Question

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

As of late I have been watching a lot of LPs. Then I found my old copy of Half life 2. And well. I wanna make my own. However I do not know how to record something on my  computer screen AND my voice at the same time. Can anyone suggest a program? And maybe some advice? 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By armaan8014

Fraps is a great video and audio recorder. That will do the job of recording the game and it's sound. As for your own voice, keep Audacity running in the background. It's free for download.
    Then compile your voice recording with the game recording with the help of any simple video making program, like windows movie maker.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @armaan8014 said:
    " Fraps is a great video and audio recorder. That will do the job of recording the game and it's sound. As for your own voice, keep Audacity running in the background. It's free for download. Then compile your voice recording with the game recording with the help of any simple video making program, like windows movie maker. "
    Doesn't Fraps have a 30 second limit for free version? 
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By armaan8014

Then you might want to search for some good free video recorder online. I dunno of any, but i'll check it.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I'd love a Let's Play of some guy using FRAPS in 30 second segments.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @LunarAura said:
    " I'd love a Let's Play of some guy using FRAPS in 30 second segments. "
    That would make a fun portal speed run. 

@armaan8014 said:
    " Then you might want to search for some good free video recorder online. I dunno of any, but i'll check it. "
    I am not the best when it comes to finding this area of stuff. Thanks for the help. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rjayb89

There are... unsavory ways of getting FRAPS if you're interested.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @rjayb89 said:
    " There are... unsavory ways of getting FRAPS if you're interested. "
    My friend tried that and for a virus. 
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rjayb89
    @The_Laughing_Man: There are... unsavory ways to get the money you need to get FRAPS... if you're interested.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By armaan8014
    @The_Laughing_Man: Camstudio is a free program.. Looks ok.

@rjayb89 said:
    " There are... unsavory ways of getting FRAPS if you're interested. "

and.. *cough* this
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Seriously just use a Hi-8 camcorder over your shoulder. What, you're not hardcore enough?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @rjayb89 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: There are... unsavory ways to get the money you need to get FRAPS... if you're interested. "
    My friend tried that...and again got a "Virus" lol
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rjayb89
    @The_Laughing_Man: Lol.  Good one, brah.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @rjayb89 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Lol.  Good one, brah. "
    Sadly I could only find one disk for Half Life 2. So I am picking it up off steam. I will try to make a quick test episode and post it here. 
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Cwaff

I considered doing a Let's Play for Knights of the Old Republic. Never got round to it though...

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By armaan8014
    @The_Laughing_Man:  Tried camstudio? and.. uh, did you delete your comment or something? Cuz I got a PM about it but the comment doesn't exist here!
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @armaan8014 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  Tried camstudio? and.. uh, did you delete your comment or something? Cuz I got a PM about it but the comment doesn't exist here! "
    I just finished what I hope to be the first episode. I think I suck at commentary  

And ya I removed my comment.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Xfire.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chyro
    @PrimeSynergy said:

" Xfire. "

This.

Either that or WeGame.  You can also stream yourself playing over X-Fire.  I have done it a couple of times.  Also, make sure you have a decent computer.  Video recording really hurts your performance.
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @The_Laughing_Man:  Source Engine has its own recorder which is really nice.  You can record as much as you want and then play it back using the game engine.  The recording re-renders in real time so the files are super small, if its a lot of footage.  When you want to render it to a video file the source recorder does that to.  This is great because you can customize resolution, graphical settings, etc after the fact and still get a solid 30 frames per second.  My problem with fraps has always been having to turn down settings and/or the resolution to get the framerate I want.  

I've never tried using source recorder in HL2, but I've used it in TF2 to record and post a video.  Here's a tutorial.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @n00bosaurusRex said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  Source Engine has its own recorder which is really nice.  You can record as much as you want and then play it back using the game engine.  The recording re-renders in real time so the files are super small, if its a lot of footage.  When you want to render it to a video file the source recorder does that to.  This is great because you can customize resolution, graphical settings, etc after the fact and still get a solid 30 frames per second.  My problem with fraps has always been having to turn down settings and/or the resolution to get the framerate I want.  

I've never tried using source recorder in HL2, but I've used it in TF2 to record and post a video.  Here's a tutorial. "
    I got fraps and it is decent. I just gotta find a nice place to upload videos. Youtube caps at that 10 mins which is annoying 
    n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By n00bosaurusRex
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @n00bosaurusRex said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  Source Engine has its own recorder which is really nice.  You can record as much as you want and then play it back using the game engine.  The recording re-renders in real time so the files are super small, if its a lot of footage.  When you want to render it to a video file the source recorder does that to.  This is great because you can customize resolution, graphical settings, etc after the fact and still get a solid 30 frames per second.  My problem with fraps has always been having to turn down settings and/or the resolution to get the framerate I want.  

I've never tried using source recorder in HL2, but I've used it in TF2 to record and post a video.  Here's a tutorial. "
    I got fraps and it is decent. I just gotta find a nice place to upload videos. Youtube caps at that 10 mins which is annoying  "
    Yeah if you are doing HL2 in its entirety thats gonna be a ton of 10 minute clips :) I'm interested to see what you came up with when you get it posted, I've been wanting to try an LP myself
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @n00bosaurusRex said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @n00bosaurusRex said:

I got fraps and it is decent. I just gotta find a nice place to upload videos. Youtube caps at that 10 mins which is annoying  "
    Yeah if you are doing HL2 in its entirety thats gonna be a ton of 10 minute clips :) I'm interested to see what you came up with when you get it posted, I've been wanting to try an LP myself "
    I got the first one posted in my blog. The commentary sync is off which really pisses me off . 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.