Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Replacing my graphics card

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Replacing my graphics card (135 votes)

GTX 980TI 5%
    GTX 1070 81%
    Another NVIDIA card 7%
    Another AMD card 6%

So my MSI N770 2GB GTX 770 finally crapped out after only almost 3 years of use. So I'm currently using the integrated Intel Graphics chip for now. I'm leaning towards either the GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION at $449, or a more recent GTX 1070, which are almost all out of stock. I would like to stay around that $449 price point if possible. I've mostly used NVIDIA GPUs and have gotten an AMD card once many years ago.

What do you all think?

• 
    Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You might as well wait for a 1070 with the prices being what they are.

Unless you've no interest in VR, or anything beyond 1080/60

Avatar image for deactivated-5967fc912058b
    deactivated-5967fc912058b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked 980ti since that's what I have. It's incredible. I refuse to read about the specs of the 10's. It'll all come back around when I get the 1480ti.

Lol but you should go for the 1070. My philosophy is now just buy the newest one at the time because you just get on a cycle. Your friend's pc might be more powerful than you in next year but it all comes back around.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might seem a stupid suggestion, but make sure your case/mobo can accommodate it first?

Yes it does. My broken GTX 770 has the same dimensions as the newer GTX 980Ti.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mackgyver
    Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're aiming for 1080p/60fps the 980Ti will suit your needs.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By John1912

Your card broke? Ive been gaming for 30+ years, and barring a shotty motherboard which gave me trouble almost from the start, Ive never had anything but a harddrive fail on me. Sorry to hear that. I just upgraded to a GTX 1080 from a GTX 770 4GB. So honestly Id wait and get that 1070 if that is your price point. Just got the 1080 yesterday! Beast of a card. Runs everything Ive got around to trying at 45-60 FPS maxed out at 4k.

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Outrager

PLEASE don't buy a video card yet. The AMD Radeon RX 480 is coming out this week for $230ish (8GB version) and it should have similar performance to the GeForce 980 (non Ti version) for half the price. A CrossFire setup with 2 of them might also have better performance than the $700 GeForce 1080. Wait for the reviews of it to come out before making your decision.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The only way it would make sense to buy a 980Ti would be if it was ridiculously cheap, and maybe not even then.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By gundogan

If you can afford an 980ti, you might as well buy an 1070 when the prices normalize (and the RX 480 launches on wednesday so might as well wait at least the two days so you can see if that's good enough for you). Assuming the 1070 is not overkill for what you want. The 980ti is somewhat similar in performance, but not good in the long run if you look at dx12 performance and how poor the 700 cards perform now compared to their (sometimes lesser at launch) AMD counterparts.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OurSin_360

I wouldn't get a 980 TI right now, so if it's absolutely between those two and you can't wait then i would go for a 1070. It uses less power and driver updates in the future will be catered for it, plus it is slightly better at stock speeds.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1070/

That site should keep a pretty good status on when they are avaiable, so far there has been at least 1 or 2 cards available a day. I"m holding out for now and will probably get a 1080 or wait for a 1080ti, but i've been checking to see when they get into steady stock and drop prices.

If you can wait then I would suggest checking out the amd 480x reviews when it comes out soon( i guess this week?) it won't be as powerful as either of those cards but if your only gaming at 1080p it should be more than enough for 95% of games.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

@john1912 said:

Your card broke? Ive been gaming for 30+ years, and barring a shotty motherboard which gave me trouble almost from the start, Ive never had anything but a harddrive fail on me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with GPU's these days. I've had two fail in the last three years (Radeon HD7750 and Nvidia GTX 650), and only one in the 20 years prior to that (Riva TNT2, which still does kinda work, but has some weird chromatic aberration thing going on, which just made it too distracting to use).

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@outrager said:

PLEASE don't buy a video card yet. The AMD Radeon RX 480 is coming out this week for $230ish (8GB version) and it should have similar performance to the GeForce 980 (non Ti version) for half the price. A CrossFire setup with 2 of them might also have better performance than the $700 GeForce 1080. Wait for the reviews of it to come out before making your decision.

You don't think 980s are going to drop in price by then?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@flashflood_29: they already are. EBay has them for high 200s, low 300s

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The 1070 is the modern equivalent of that 770, so you can't go wrong with that. The 480 might seem tempting at that price point, but I can't recommend AMD in good conscience. I've had nothing but problems—both with the hardware and drivers—with AMD cards. I've got a 1080 on back order right now and can't wait until I can do away with this R9 280x.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: they already are. EBay has them for high 200s, low 300s

It was a rhetorical question lol It's a non-lie half-truth, however you want to put it, to say the RX 480 is going to be half the price of a 980 if he's referring to the price of a 980 right now.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John1912

@doctordonkey said:

The 1070 is the modern equivalent of that 770, so you can't go wrong with that. The 480 might seem tempting at that price point, but I can't recommend AMD in good conscience. I've had nothing but problems—both with the hardware and drivers—with AMD cards. I've got a 1080 on back order right now and can't wait until I can do away with this R9 280x.

I bought a 4k monitor kinda on a impulse buy, not that I wasnt planning on upgrading later in the year. But that also sped up getting a 1080. Put the MSI one on back order saturday last week from new egg. Card actually showed up on Monday, and got it yesterday! Thing's a beast! Most my games running 50-60 FPS maxed out in 4k! OCs well too, had this one upto 2075, and didnt seem to cause issues.

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: If they are the same price and performance then it would be better to go with the newer more power efficient one.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shivoa

The 980Ti is effectively a hot-running, 100 Watts of extra heat producing, VR-no-gooding (Simultaneous Multi-Projection stuff), noisy (see getting rid of all that extra heat) GTX1070. And that's before we consider nVidia have a habit of reserving some cool software toys only for people with the more recent card architectures so beyond the VR projection tech there may be other differences. Oh, and if people ever start using 16-bit floating-point maths then Pascal chips are up to twice as fast as FP32 (the current maths everyone uses for everything) while a 980Ti runs FP16 instructions exactly as slowly as FP32 ones. Oh, and I'm not sure the HDMI port on the 980Ti is capable of doing HDR 4K output so at some point in the next 3 years you might end up with a cheap HDR 4K TV (as those now seem to be a thing that's actually happening at a price that's sensible, pushing 1000 nits and using 10-bit panels to avoid banding or terrible blacks) and want for that capability.

The GTX1070s are available for ok prices with a large factory overclock or basically 980Ti prices for stock speed. Yes, those are going to have a week or two wait on supply (you may find models in stock today which are either stock speed and not as cheap or big factory overclock that are more than a small price premium) but I think a 980Ti today is what looks like a bargain but is actually just saving a few bucks to buy something that's in every way a worse deal than the new cards we're just now seeing stock of.

If you're up for some AMD love then a pair of RX 480s is going to cost the same as a 1070 (ish, the stock 1070 should come in a bit cheaper as you'll want the $230 8GB RX 480, or you can grab the overclocked 1070 for under $460) and looks to be closer to the 1080 in perf level. That's assuming the CrossFire scaling works for the game you're playing - which is why I'm going with nVidia this Summer, as the Fury X is ridiculously expensive where I live and AMD aren't releasing a 1070/1080 competitor (the Vega 10, may even compete with the 1080Ti that'll be coming out) until Christmas by the sounds of it. But those RX 480s sound mighty impressive (for $230) and get released on Wednesday so if you want to read final reviews then wait a couple of days to know for sure what a CrossFire AMD solution will be like with AAA games (so far the leaked benchmarks are mainly synthetic/3DMark etc).

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1070 assuming you can find one for the board partner's MSRP price.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outrager said:

@flashflood_29: If they are the same price and performance then it would be better to go with the newer more power efficient one.

Never disagreed with that sentiment at all.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bybeach

@fisk0 said:
    @john1912 said:

Your card broke? Ive been gaming for 30+ years, and barring a shotty motherboard which gave me trouble almost from the start, Ive never had anything but a harddrive fail on me.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with GPU's these days. I've had two fail in the last three years (Radeon HD7750 and Nvidia GTX 650), and only one in the 20 years prior to that (Riva TNT2, which still does kinda work, but has some weird chromatic aberration thing going on, which just made it too distracting to use).

I lost a 1800 and a 570. The one thing common was that they were in sli configurations. But I tested independently and am still using the viable 570 in another computer.

Out of ignorance, I would go for the 1070. But I always make a knee-jerk allowance for headroom.

EDIT-meant to say 1800 instead of the much more desired (on my part) 1080.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bybeach said:
    @fisk0 said:
    @john1912 said:

I lost a 1080 and a 570. The one thing common was that they were in sli configurations. But I tested independently and am still using the viable 570 in another computer.

Out of ignorance, I would go for the 1070. But I always make a knee-jerk allowance for headroom.

Only card I ever had fail on me is the Nvidia 9800 GT but that was one of the first "sandwich" cards and they were known to run hot and eventually burn out. Still it lasted a good couple of years.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John1912

@humanity said:
    @bybeach said:
    @fisk0 said:
    @john1912 said:

I lost a 1080 and a 570. The one thing common was that they were in sli configurations. But I tested independently and am still using the viable 570 in another computer.

Only card I ever had fail on me is the Nvidia 9800 GT but that was one of the first "sandwich" cards and they were known to run hot and eventually burn out. Still it lasted a good couple of years.

Yea, I had a I5-2400 in a Dell with a stock cooler. Stock coolers are complete garbage. By the end, (maybe always) that thing was running maxed out on newer games, and was hitting 95C+. I couldnt tell if it was actually throttling or not. Was like that for at least a year. Maybe more, wasnt checking before that. Looked into changing the cooler, but you couldnt even get to the back of the motherboard to unscrew it without special tools. Im am WAAAY more lenient on temps then most people, but that did worry me. I prefer not to break 85C which freaks most people out seems like. It seems like there is a general over reaction to temps. See people all the time be like cards at 70C thats too hot! They are in spec range hitting 90C+ though, least on CPUs. My I7-4790 is hitting high 80s low 90s under load over clocked. with a cheap 15-20$ cooler, which is the first time I have ever purchased a after market cooler. I should prob change that out :-/ Rather it not break 80C just to feel good about it. But thats in range for the part, and like I said. 30+ years, and never had anything but a hard drive fail on me. And you expect that to happen.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you everyone for all your input. I decided to get the GTX 1070 just now and the way I did that was getting an auto update notification from Newegg that the GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD is now in stock. Anyone looking to get in on the GTX 1070 craze, get to it.

But I'd like to ask one additional question. The above card goes for $429.99. Am I paying too much for it or is this about what it should go for?

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go for the 1070, since I've heard the 970 was pretty great, and this could only be better.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you everyone for all your input. I decided to get the GTX 1070 just now and the way I did that was getting an auto update notification from Newegg that the GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD is now in stock. Anyone looking to get in on the GTX 1070 craze, get to it.

But I'd like to ask one additional question. The above card goes for $429.99. Am I paying too much for it or is this about what it should go for?

That card seems to come with a reasonable guaranteed factory overclock (even if all cards can clock that fast, they sort the chips and put the ones that clock higher into the higher factory clock speed cards at each manufacturer so paying more gets you a chip that can generally run slightly faster and at a lower Voltage - ie slightly less heat generated while doing it). It's not an incredibly added value but it also means you've got some decent power delivery (one of the ways they customise higher cards by adding more phases for better power regulation under high load - ie when overclocked) and premium stuff like configurable lights (if your case has a window or some vents then this is maybe worth a couple of dollars premium vs case lights).

I'd definitely say it's not an unusual price for a OC model of 1070 with a beefy heatsink and fan combo. From what I gather, demand is very significant right now so stock may take a while to flood the channels and push prices down (for $380 for the cheapest blowers) but when it does then it'll be cards with smaller coolers (the cheapest 1070s I've seen have cheap blower designs - rather different from the premium blowers on Titans) and no or little overclocking that reach that price first.

I'd pay that price for a GTX 1070. *Has actually paid almost exactly that price for a 1070 this week, Gainward/Palit but same thing: getting something with a nice overclock and beefy heatsink because right now every 1070 is being sold around the premium end of the price range so why not get LED lighting and the chips that passed all the tests when sorted*

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mackgyver: the MSRP is 399 I believe which is an unrealistic target according to some rumours, so 429 seems reasonable? The 1070 goes for 500-550 euro here and is often not in stock. ><

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I recommend waiting 2 months from now. That way the price will go down to suggested retail value. I did nag a 1070 FE, but I kinda have buyers remorse in a way. I don't do 1440p or 4k. I'm basically 1080 60fps (60hz monitor), which my old card was struggling with, especially with The Witcher 3. I would also look into the 1060 when that comes out.

This goes for anyone else gpu shopping. Now is kinda a weird time.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gizmo88

You forgot one option, put the GTX 770 in the oven and save $500. Just a heads up, make sure to remove the heatsink first. Also, for the price/performance you're getting, the GTX 1070 is a huge rip off. I'd get the GTX 970, you could buy a new one for $260, or used for $180. The GTX 1060 is also about to be released.

http://lifehacker.com/5823227/save-dying-video-cards-with-a-quick-bake-in-the-oven

Loading Video...

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend of mine put his ps3 motherboard in the oven for a few minutes when his broke down. Fixed the YLOD. Dumb as hell but it worked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.