Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Should I get the GTX480?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Hey guys, so I am thinking of upgrading my PC with a GTX480 but I was wondering how it is?

I am running a 850 PSU, would I have to upgrade?

Also, is it worth switching to ATI? I got my PC mainly for 3D vision so I would be missing out on that fantastic feature.

Thanks for the help!

Current specs -

.Intel i7 920 @ stock
    .GTX260
    .UD5
    .6gb DDR3 ram (1600mhz)
    .Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 All-In-One CPU
    Cooler
    .Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black,
    SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2  Edited By Geno

First of all, what are your current specs and what types of games do you play (850 PSU is fine for GTX 480 though btw)? 

ATI has Eyefinity, Nvidia has 3D and PhysX, it depends on what you want. I'm not sure that 3D is feasible in most games at the moment since you have to halve your framerate...you also know that you require a 120hz monitor and a 3D kit as well right? 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By shirogane

What's your current specs?  Also, what graphics card are you currently using? 
    Could be overkill. Also, if you've been using Nvidia, stick with it. Suddenly switching, especially on the same computer, could be a slight annoyance that takes some getting used to. Mainly the settings stuff.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:

" First of all, what are your current specs and what types of games do you play (850 PSU is fine for GTX 480 though btw)?  ATI has Eyefinity, Nvidia has 3D and PhysX, it depends on what you want.  "

.Intel i7 920 @ stock
    .GTX260
    .UD5
    .6gb DDR3 ram (1600mhz)
    .Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 All-In-One CPU
    Cooler
    .Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black,
    SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

Also, I have never used an ATI card so what is Eyefinity?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " First of all, what are your current specs and what types of games do you play (850 PSU is fine for GTX 480 though btw)?  ATI has Eyefinity, Nvidia has 3D and PhysX, it depends on what you want. I'm not sure that 3D is feasible in most games at the moment since you have to halve your framerate...you also know that you require a 120hz monitor and a 3D kit as well right?  "
    Also, I have the monitor.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

Dude... I envy your predicament. I gotta unload this pair of NV 9800gtx+'s before I can even consider what card to replace them with.  I'm gonna say 'yes' out of jealousy, regardless of whether or not you truly need it.

If not for my current motherboard's 16x 2-slot SLI capabilities, I would go with ATI again for the cost to frames ratio. The only ATI card I ever owned was a 9800pro i bought for Half-Life 2 and it was the longest lasting card I owned as far as performance went.

Eyefinity is a triple screen solution similar to Matrox's triple header thing. One screen for your focus and two screens for your perhipheral vision.

If only you could combine eyefinity with 3dvision...

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @MrKlorox said:

" Dude... I envy your predicament. I gotta unload this pair of 9800gtx+'s before I can even consider what card to replace them with.  I'm gonna say 'yes' out of jealousy, regardless of whether or not you truly need it. "

Haha ^__^
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba: Eyefinity is an ATI API that allows you to set up triple monitors or more for almost any game.  

If you are looking for 3D, then the choice is obviously Nvidia. A GTX 470 is better value for money but a GTX 480 will have the muscle to play more games in 3D. Remember that in 3D, you halve your effective framerate in order to display the image buffer through each lens.  

If you really want 3D and high end performance now, and you don't care that much for budget, then go ahead with the GTX 480. Personally I would wait for a die shrink, since the launch cards are the first generation of a new architecture, and are relatively hot and power hungry. Fermi shows tremendous scalability however and will greatly benefit from future fabrication optimizations, which may arrive sooner than later. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: Eyefinity is an ATI API that allows you to set up triple monitors or more for almost any game.   If you are looking for 3D, then the choice is obviously Nvidia. A GTX 470 is better value for money but a GTX 480 will have the muscle to play more games in 3D. Remember that in 3D, you halve your effective framerate in order to display the image buffer through each lens.   If you really want 3D and high end performance now, and you don't care that much for budget, then go ahead with the GTX 480. Personally I would wait for a die shrink, since the launch cards are the first generation of a new architecture, and are relatively hot and power hungry. Fermi shows tremendous scalability however and will greatly benefit from future fabrication optimizations, which may arrive sooner than later.  "
    Would I be able to play most games in 3D with a good framerate with my current system (with the GTX 480)
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba: That depends on the resolution and quality settings you'll be aiming at. Assuming you want 60fps, that means 120fps, at least. Very few games will run at 120+fps at high or max quality settings. For instance, MW2 which is fairly light in terms of hardware demands runs at only 133fps at 1920x1200 with 4xAA and highest details:  

No Caption Provided
    Assuming you want 8xAA or above, you won't be able to achieve 60fps with even MW2. However, the 3D effect should be able to compensate for image quality to a large degree, as you'll get the cool effect and notice jaggies or muddy textures much less so that balance is up to you I suppose. Your processor is fine, but games like clock speed and it wouldn't hurt to overclock it a bit (safely, of course). 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Geno:  Are many games actually optimized for eyefinity? I mean the two perhipheral monitors generally use the same graphical quality as the primary monitor, but the nature of perhipheral vision drastically reduces the need for that level of fidelity. Is there support for 1/2 or 1/4 resolution on perhipheral monitors or settings for different AA/AF/AO per monitor in the ATI drivers?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
    @MrKlorox: Eyefinity isn't hard to implement at all; for instance Supreme Commander 2 launched without Eyefinity but was patched with it like a day later. I believe what it does is fairly basic, it just triples the horizontal resolution of your image buffer (and may, in addition, double your vertical resolution for 6 displays total), what's special about it is that it can accomplish that on one card. Eyefinity, unlike PhysX doesn't need to be implemented throughout the game's development or  anything like that, they essentially just need to shift certain parts of the HUD for some games and that's it.  

I'm not certain if you can adjust quality settings for each monitor but I'm 99% sure that you can't. 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Geno said:

" I'm not certain if you can adjust quality settings for each monitor but I'm 99% sure that you can't.  "

That's slightly disappointing. I at least figured ATI would try to do something different from Matrox other than have a powerful parent company when implementing three monitors. Unless I'm not understanding how such a setup is meant to be sued. I mean, are you supposed to keep your eyes focused on the center monitor and use the sides as perhipheral vision, or are you supposed to actually turn your head to see dudes flanking?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Geno
    @MrKlorox: I believe most people use it as peripheral vision. But that's not really a knock against it, peripheral vision can greatly increase immersion (e.g. in a racing game), and improve awareness in FPSs. It can also be used directly as a wider FOV in RTS games for example. Multimonitor solutions have existed for a while, but Eyefinity is just the most elegant. A single card can power 6 monitors (given that it has the power of course). Newer versions can power 12.  

Different workspaces can also be set up for greater ease of use and productivity. See this page for more.  

These are far more comprehensive:  

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ati-eyefinity,2567.html  
     http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-eyefinity-6-displayport,2596.html
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno: Dude, off topic but...

HOW THE FUCK CAN I RUN A WINDOWS XP/VISTA GAME ON WINDOWS 7?! THERE HAS TO BE A WAY! I NEED TO DO IT D:
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba: ? 99% of Windows XP games should work on 7 with no problems. Failing that, right click-->properties, set the compatibility version to Windows XP SP2, and check the box for run as administrator. Some niche games such as "7 Wonders" (ironically) may not run on Windows 7. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: ? 99% of Windows XP games should work on 7 with no problems. Failing that, right click-->properties, set the compatibility version to Windows XP SP2, and check the box for run as administrator. Some niche games such as "7 Wonders" (ironically) may not run on Windows 7.  "
    I was on gog.com and I really want to play Postal 2 but it does not support Windows 7 D:
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba: That's odd, if it runs on Vista it should run on 7. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: That's odd, if it runs on Vista it should run on 7.  "
    Here, if you can find out if/how it works on Windows 7 I will give you anything you want O__O
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Geno said:

Here, if you can find out if/how it works on Windows 7 I will give you anything you want O__O "
    Well, it's on a list of Windows 7 Compatible games. Also, speaking out of personal experience with close to 300 PC games, I've yet to have any trouble running any of them (except 7 Wonders, a small casual game from MumboJumbo). Even the X-COM games and Commander Keen (~20 year old DOS games) run without a hitch. All other problems that I've heard of have been fixed by setting compatibility to Windows XP SP2 and running as administrator, as I have described above. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Geno said:

Here, if you can find out if/how it works on Windows 7 I will give you anything you want O__O "
    Well, it's on a list of Windows 7 Compatible games. Also, speaking out of personal experience with close to 300 PC games, I've yet to have any trouble running any of them (except 7 Wonders, a small casual game from MumboJumbo). Even the X-COM games and Commander Keen (20+ year old DOS games) run without a hitch. All other problems that I've heard of have been fixed by setting compatibility to Windows XP SP2 and running as administrator, as I have described above.  "

I have found that gog.com are working on compatibility with Windows 7, even though they say it is not compatible is there a chance of it working the way you have said or not?
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox
    @NekuSakuraba said:

"I was on gog.com and I really want to play Postal 2 but it does not support Windows 7 D: "

If I could persuade anybody toward one GOG purchase, it would be Arcanum. As one review said, "It's the closest thing to Fallout since Fallout [not 3]." Top notch story, familiar WRPG mechanics, and a still unique Steampunk twist to the typical fantasy setting.

@Geno:

Oh yeah, you're right about high third person camera perspectives. I wasn't thinking of that. I was mainly picturing first person games. I would love to have dragon age playable at triple width, zoomed all the way out.

I think it's slightly unfair for somebody to have full visual fidelity in the side monitors in competitive first person games. Peripheral vision is for noticing movement, not for directly observing dudes without altering your profile/silhouette. You don't need 1920x1200 with 16xaf, 4xaa, full quality ao, and 60 frames per second to tell something potentially dangerous is coming to your right.

I fully support such newer technologies such as 3D and multimon/perhipheral view methods such as eyefinity. I just think current, primitive methods of implementation aren't doing much to prove viability. 

edit: oops.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Geno said:

Well, it's on a list of Windows 7 Compatible games. Also, speaking out of personal experience with close to 300 PC games, I've yet to have any trouble running any of them (except 7 Wonders, a small casual game from MumboJumbo). Even the X-COM games and Commander Keen (20+ year old DOS games) run without a hitch. All other problems that I've heard of have been fixed by setting compatibility to Windows XP SP2 and running as administrator, as I have described above.  "
     I have found that gog.com are working on compatibility with Windows 7, even though they say it is not compatible is there a chance of it working the way you have said or not? "
    I would say there's a fairly large chance. As a rule of thumb, anything that works on Vista will work in 7, and again, out of personal experience compatibility issues are extremely minimal. 
    some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By some1

"ATI Catalyst™ support for 3D Stereoscopic glasses

AMD has updated its Direct3D (Quad buffer support) driver to enable 3rd party middleware vendors such as iZ3D to output stereo L/R images at 120 Hz (60 Hz per eye)"

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tag/3d/

ATi can support 3D as well. 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox
    @some1 said:

"
    "ATI Catalyst™ support for 3D Stereoscopic glasses

AMD has updated its Direct3D (Quad buffer support) driver to enable 3rd party middleware vendors such as iZ3D to output stereo L/R images at 120 Hz (60 Hz per eye)"

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tag/3d/

ATi can support 3D as well. 

"
    Cool. Will it emulate 3dvision on games specifically designed to use it as well? Or is that implied with "third party support"? Suckas talkin shit saying Nvidia isn't second party? oooohhhh!
    some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By some1
    @MrKlorox:
    No, it wont support 3dVision( i assume) because its made by nvidea 
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
    @some1 said:
    " @MrKlorox:No, it wont support 3dVision( i assume) because its made by nvidea  "
    Great... so it's another Guitar Hero equipment on Rockband software debacle again, isn't it? So 12 months until a middleground is met after each company makes a bid for total 3d supremacy.
    some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By some1
    @MrKlorox:

It's more of a ATi vs Nvidia price war thing again. Nvidea have their own (expensive) piece of kit and ATi offer the API's thus letting you choose your own 3D "type". 

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By VoshiNova

Personally I think your GTX 260 should hold fine, no need to upgrade yet.

Although if you have extra cash there's no reason not too, you won't see to much of a performance increase unless your running benchmark programs or something.

Either way rock on bud

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I know 30 frames isn't alot, however with 40 frames it's smooth and acceptable, if it's halfed, you just need to get like 80 frames before your nvidia 3d vision if that's what you want. Honestly you already have a good foundation from your rig to build on. Like geno said, the gtx470 is better value, however if money isn't a problem and you want power, go for the gtx480, it runs hot, so you need to have good case fans and stuff. It's the most powerful single gpu on the market right now if we aren't talking about dual gpus videocards.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

No you shouldn't go with a 480. It runs too hot, takes too much power for what it does. I also have a 260 and can run anything out there today very well. The 480 is an overpriced, power hog of a card that doesn't fill a need. Wait until games require more horsepower and the new gen of cards have slimmed down a bit. 

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maru

I would also suggest for you to skip this gen of video cards since your GTX 260 is good enough for now.  

But.. If you have the money to burn go right a head !

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.