Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So, a week ago my CPU was idling at 35 degrees...

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jmrwacko

... and now it's idling at 45 degrees and getting to over 70 degrees full load, while my heatsink and fans are completely untouched. What happened? I just put new thermal paste on the heatsink - is it that maybe air bubbles are forming in the paste or something? This inexplicable phantom heat is really getting on my nerves.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By korwin

Probably to much paste, or applied incorrectly.  What heat sink is it, and how did you apply it?.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Check for dust in and around the case. My GPU normally idles at 45 degrees but I hadn't cleaned out the case fans in a couple months. The other day I checked and they were at 68 idle, went back to 45 after clearing out my dust filters. 

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cspiffo
    @Korwin said:
    "Probably to much paste, or applied incorrectly.  What heat sink is it, and how did you apply it?. "

Yeah, probably this.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jmrwacko
    @cspiffo said:

" @Korwin said:

"Probably to much paste, or applied incorrectly.  What heat sink is it, and how did you apply it?. "
    Yeah, probably this. "
    It wasn't a lot of paste, and the computer was idling at 35 degrees AFTER applying the paste. It's just shot up for no apparent reason over time. Could that much dust collect in a week?

Edit: Wow, now it's idling at 35 degrees again, and reaching a max temp of 60 degrees. Could it be that my chipset is reporting incorrect temperatures?
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

it's not dust. check your usage during peak temps. check your temps manually, electronic motherboard sensors are notoriously unreliable.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By korwin

Pretty sure mobo temp sensor's are a thing of the past, most cores have internal probes these days.  That being said you can get some pretty dodge probes, my Q9550 always registered a 13 degree variation between core0 and core3.

If you want to check how active your probes are grab a copy of Real Temp (it's free), it has a probe test as part of the application.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By cspiffo
    @jmrwacko said:
    "@cspiffo said:

" @Korwin said:

Yeah, probably this. "
    It wasn't a lot of paste, and the computer was idling at 35 degrees AFTER applying the paste. It's just shot up for no apparent reason over time. Could that much dust collect in a week?  Edit: Wow, now it's idling at 35 degrees again, and reaching a max temp of 60 degrees. Could it be that my chipset is reporting incorrect temperatures? "

probably then. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Cpu tempertures can get very high depending on the actual cpu, that might be normal. You should google what the average temp on load is, I think that's normal because you haven't really posted or checked the temperture before. Obviously posting which cpu you have would definently help.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By korwin

Another thing worth noting is a large number of thermal pastes have a "set in period" where the paste slowly evens out and firms up.  It's quite common with a lot of silver based pastes like AS-5.  Pastes like MX-3 don't have a set in period and thus you get immediate full thermal benefit.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sn1PeR

Run a prime95 small FFT test and watch your temps w/ coretemp.  It's possible the hsf is not properly mounted -- pins sometimes are not all the way in or it's not tight enough.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmrwacko

Now my CPU is idling at 32 degrees, once I overclock again it will probably still idle under 40. So whatever.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jmrwacko

Update - so I plugged a big hole in my computer case where my damaged DVD drive was missing with the fixed DVD drive, and the CPU is idling at 27 degrees and reaching only 52 degrees full load. I didn't realize air flow could affect temperature by that much.

Avatar image for deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf
    deactivated-593d63ef3d1cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Personally I don't like overclocking. hey when you get a chance please click here so I can get tokens for a Bioware contest. thank you :) http://social.bioware.com/brc/384399    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.