Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

So... If piracy is so bad..

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Gunner

Why are companies like id and Crytek still making PC exclusives? You would think through all of their bitching (excuse my french) they would finally drop support for PC exclusives. Crytek is making Crysis: warhead right after they got finished telling everyone that piracy is the downfall for PC games. The id releasing Rage after making a press release that they wont make any PC exclusives anymore... Sounds a little contradictive.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By roofy

Crytek said they are in the transition from PC to Consoles.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Dude

Crytek also said that Warhead will be a big factor in them making console ports or not, so lets all hope Warhead does very well so we can keep the Crytek games on PC.
    But they still make them because that's what they know and it still pays the bills, they just know they could be paying a lot more bills if people were not pirating the games.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By twenty0ne
    Gunner said:
    "Why are companies like id and Crytek still making PC exclusives? You would think through all of their bitching (excuse my french) they would finally drop support for PC exclusives. Crytek is making Crysis: warhead right after they got finished telling everyone that piracy is the downfall for PC games. The id releasing Rage after making a press release that they wont make any PC exclusives anymore... Sounds a little contradictive.
    "
    I believe that's why they said they were considering moving some games over to the 360, but I could be wrong.
    sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By sizu
    Gunner said:
    "Why are companies like id and Crytek still making PC exclusives? You would think through all of their bitching (excuse my french) they would finally drop support for PC exclusives. Crytek is making Crysis: warhead right after they got finished telling everyone that piracy is the downfall for PC games. The id releasing Rage after making a press release that they wont make any PC exclusives anymore... Sounds a little contradictive.
    "

id releasing rage on the PC doesn't make it an exclusive to the format.

Exclusives are becoming rare not just because of piracy.  Developing a game required a massive investment of cold hard cash.  It make sense for titles be released on multiple formats as it spreads the risk and allows the developer/publisher to earn more capital from the investment.  Of course exclusives will still happen, but less often.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DualReaver

Damn consoles ruining ma video games!

Look what they did to Rainbow 6! Just look!
    *cries*

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Nobility

People still want to develop for PC, they just want to be paid and respected for their hard work.  There are many developers out there who just want to help the PC market but people are not making it easy for them with all of the piracy going around.  Even Infinity Ward was saying that they are thinking of only working for consoles.  It's a trend which will last for awhile and could begin a whole new DRM debate for the " greater good. "

SphynxTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SphynxTA

Thing is, PC games don't sell massive amounts in short bursts like console games. A console game might sell 1 mil in a week. PC games sell over time. Not all gamers can play all the games straight away so they wait until they upgrade and then get it. But lots of developers expect PC games to sell as much as console games straight away and if they don't then they cry out: "OMG TEH PIRACY! PC GAMING IS DEAD! CONSOLES FTW!" and then cease all support for the PC.

While console games do sell more than PC games, most of them don't have as much longevity as PC games. People play them through once then some multiplayer and in 6 months it's totally forgotten. On the PC you have 10 year old games like Starcraft that are still played widely. All this sales, marketing and hype bullshit has mad developers forget that console market and the PC market is very different.

Avatar image for deactivated-62fae2132a6ff
    deactivated-62fae2132a6ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If every PC developer used a platform like Steam, im sure it would lower the piracy figures alot. Sure people still get around it, but its more of a hassle. Valve seem to be doing great.

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainCoke
    SphynxTA said:
    "Thing is, PC games don't sell massive amounts in short bursts like console games. A console game might sell 1 mil in a week. PC games sell over time. Not all gamers can play all the games straight away so they wait until they upgrade and then get it. But lots of developers expect PC games to sell as much as console games straight away and if they don't then they cry out: "OMG TEH PIRACY! PC GAMING IS DEAD! CONSOLES FTW!" and then cease all support for the PC.

While console games do sell more than PC games, most of them don't have as much longevity as PC games. People play them through once then some multiplayer and in 6 months it's totally forgotten. On the PC you have 10 year old games like Starcraft that are still played widely. All this sales, marketing and hype bullshit has mad developers forget that console market and the PC market is very different.
    "

Seconded...
    Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aviar
    Arkez said:
    "If every PC developer used a platform like Steam, im sure it would lower the piracy figures alot. Sure people still get around it, but its more of a hassle. Valve seem to be doing great.
    "
    Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  Not that it is right, but it seems that PC games are just much more susceptible to piracy then consoles.
    Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vlademir
    Gunner said:
    "
    Crysis Warhead is Crytek's last PC exclusive. Happy?
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By giyanks22

Because the reason Crysis was so acclaimed was because of its incredible graphics. The graphics won't play on a console so they have to use a PC

Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
    TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo
    SphynxTA said:
    "Thing is, PC games don't sell massive amounts in short bursts like console games. A console game might sell 1 mil in a week. PC games sell over time. Not all gamers can play all the games straight away so they wait until they upgrade and then get it. But lots of developers expect PC games to sell as much as console games straight away and if they don't then they cry out: "OMG TEH PIRACY! PC GAMING IS DEAD! CONSOLES FTW!" and then cease all support for the PC.

"
    Huh, for once I didn't have to explain this. PC markets are a whole lot different than console markets. Just look at games like Sins which, may have only sold 1 million in the first month, will go on to sell multi-millions over its life span. PC games have longevity, unlike console games.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gunner

It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would bitch and complain about piracy and how PC gaming is dieing yet still make PC exclusives.. If they truely feel like they are losing so much money over it (which they arn't) than why keep making games exclusivly?

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By xruntime

PC Gaming is endangered, but its not anywhere near extinct.

Piracy is a problem, but frankly, its an unsolvable problem, so DRM isn't going to do anything besides piss off the end-user.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarkLegend
    xruntime said:
    "PC Gaming is endangered, but its not anywhere near extinct.

Piracy is a problem, but frankly, its an unsolvable problem, so DRM isn't going to do anything besides piss off the end-user.
    "
    It's still pretty big thanks to the port of the 360 games.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DualReaver

For some reason I remember reading something not sure how true it is though.
    PC gaming isn't dieing, it was actually getting stronger just the fact that so many games were being made for consoles overshadowed that.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Termite
    SphynxTA said:

"
    Very true.

I mean look at the original Counter Strike, people still play that game A LOT!
    xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By xruntime
    DarkLegend said:
    "xruntime said:
    "PC Gaming is endangered, but its not anywhere near extinct.

"
    It's still pretty big thanks to the port of the 360 games."
    If anything, I'd say 360 ports (aside from Call of Duty 4) do not do that well on PC. Most of PC's biggest games of late (STALKER, Crysis, Age of Conan, The Witcher, and Orange Box) have either been PC exclusives or primarily PC games.
    sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sizu

You make it sound like theres no piracy on consoles.

The PS3 is the only console on the market just now which hasn't been cracked by the hackers.  The wii, 360, ds, ps2 & psp are all cracked.  Piracy isn't just a PC problem.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gunner
    sizu said:
    "You make it sound like theres no piracy on consoles.

The PS3 is the only console on the market just now which hasn't been cracked by the hackers.  The wii, 360, ds, ps2 & psp are all cracked.  Piracy isn't just a PC problem."
    Tell that to Epic, Crytek and id.. i am well aware of all that. those companies just make it seem like its a problem that only the PC has.
    kuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kuddles
    Gunner said:
    "It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would bitch and complain about piracy and how PC gaming is dieing yet still make PC exclusives.. If they truely feel like they are losing so much money over it (which they arn't) than why keep making games exclusivly?
    "

Rage isn't a PC exclusive.  In fact, iD has come out and said that they will build all future games for consoles first, just as Epic, another former.PC exclusive developer said. 

Also, Crysis Warhead was in development long before Crytek made that announcement, obviously.  I have a feeling we might also get another Crysis standalone expansion through the view of Prophet in the near future as well.

The only thing that has me worried is Crytek still claims they don't plan on bringing Crysis to consoles, and yet they also say they aren't doing PC exclusives anymore, so it's possible we'll be left with the cliffhanger at the end of the first one forever.

The fact of the matter is, you can't have big budget FPS games be PC-exclusive anymore.  While sales are still good in Europe, PC game sales have dried up in North America when you don't count WOW or The Sims.  Just a few years ago, PC-centric shooters like FEAR, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc. had no trouble selling millions in America alone.  Now COD4 on the PC is considered a huge success even though it never passed 500k on the PC. 

While it does depress me that big budget PC action games are going away, I'll be happy as long as decent PC ports get made so I can play future Crytek games on the platform I prefer FPS titles on.
    Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
    TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo
    kuddles said:
    "Gunner said:

The fact of the matter is, you can't have big budget FPS games be PC-exclusive anymore.  While sales are still good in Europe, PC game sales have dried up in North America when you don't count WOW or The Sims.  Just a few years ago, PC-centric shooters like FEAR, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc. had no trouble selling millions in America alone.  Now COD4 on the PC is considered a huge success even though it never passed 500k on the PC. 

The fact of the matter is, you really can't have high budget games be any-platform exclusive anymore save for those being funded by first party developers. The high development costs of next gen gaming has practically all but destroyed the concept of third party exclusives. PCs, since they don't even have a first party, are going to be a little more effect. We're still going to see those great indie FPS games like STALKER being exclusive, but besides that its highly doubtful we will be seing big companies pump tons of money into the PC. Just like every other platform.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gunner
    kuddles said:
    "Gunner said:
    "It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would bitch and complain about piracy and how PC gaming is dieing yet still make PC exclusives.. If they truely feel like they are losing so much money over it (which they arn't) than why keep making games exclusivly?
    "

Rage isn't a PC exclusive.  In fact, iD has come out and said that they will build all future games for consoles first, just as Epic, another former.PC exclusive developer said. 

Also, Crysis Warhead was in development long before Crytek made that announcement, obviously.  I have a feeling we might also get another Crysis standalone expansion through the view of Prophet in the near future as well.

The only thing that has me worried is Crytek still claims they don't plan on bringing Crysis to consoles, and yet they also say they aren't doing PC exclusives anymore, so it's possible we'll be left with the cliffhanger at the end of the first one forever.

While it does depress me that big budget PC action games are going away, I'll be happy as long as decent PC ports get made so I can play future Crytek games on the platform I prefer FPS titles on."
    id still hasnt said whether or not they will port rage to consoles, they just said future games.

warhead went into development after crysis warhead by a different studio, which was bought witht the sales from crysis.
    The argument isnt whether or not they can make PC exclusives anymore, the argument is why they still do after talking a bunch of bs.
    kuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kuddles
    Gunner said:
    "id still hasnt said whether or not they will port rage to consoles, they just said future games.

warhead went into development after crysis warhead by a different studio, which was bought witht the sales from crysis.
    The argument isnt whether or not they can make PC exclusives anymore, the argument is why they still do after talking a bunch of bs.

And what we're trying to tell you is your argument is wrong.  Rage is not a PC exclusive.  They already said it was coming to 360 and PS3 the exact same day they announced it.  And Crytek said that Warhead was being worked on before they even finished the original Crysis.  It wouldn't make sense now to make Warhead on consoles when the original isn't even on there.
    Josef_Nastra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Josef_Nastra

I think it's sad if PC gaming dies. No matter if it is just the suits who are paranoid or if piracy really is killing the PC i will cry my heart out if this happens. I buy all my games. I like to hold a new game in my hand and build my own computers. Haven't had a console since the first Playstation and i don't think i need one either. Long live the PC! "We are the champions my friend..."

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By unclejohnny79

Cause they want to

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By aegis_and_pred
    DualReaver said:
    "Damn consoles ruining ma video games!

Look what they did to ALMOST EVERY PC EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE EVER MADE! Just look!
    *cries*"
    /fixt

and i couldn't agree more ...
    sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Gunner said:
    "
    You dont get in trouble for using french here ;)
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpecTackle

Crytek can take their tech demos to consoles for all I care. Crysis was horrible as a game. PC gaming isn't going anywhere, folks. Developers are simply going where the money is, but developers who know what they're doing (Valve, Blizzard, Activision, Relic) will always have something worthwhile out on PCs.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VACkillers

Think a lot of people are focusing too much on the PC piracy stuff.... just for the record, there is just as much piracy going on with xbox 360 games and PS3 games as there is with pc's, do a search for stuff and you'll be quietly supprised just how much console stuff is and can be ripped,  but PC always takes the front end of this kind of thing.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Relys
    Gunner said:
    "
    They're not anymore. lol. Have you been living under a rock or something? And you can use all the french you want.
    Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scorched

After warhead crtytek is no longer making pc exclusives

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By VACkillers

i think after warhead crytek will still make PC games, probably wont be PC exclusives mind you, but those are rare unless theres a developer out there that's making a game that can really only ever be played on a PC, namely, MMOs. Look how well the original far cry did? the game that made them who they are today.... there was plenty of sales and they will get plenty of sales for warhead aswell so long as you dont need a 3k computer to make it run how it should, which was the problem... Even now with gamers in sli mode can still stuggle with crysis and unless you have next to the best graphics cards around, you cannot play it at 60FPS at the big resolutions.... Warhead they completely optimized this, and thus will not be such an issue, where it'll stop sales, you'll actually most likely going to see more sales with warhead then crysis ever did i bet....

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By unclejohnny79
    VACkillers said:
    "Think a lot of people are focusing too much on the PC piracy stuff.... just for the record, there is just as much piracy going on with xbox 360 games and PS3 games as there is with pc's, do a search for stuff and you'll be quietly surprised just how much console stuff is and can be ripped,  but PC always takes the front end of this kind of thing.
    "
      ActuallyI don't think you can pirate ps3 games yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By 100
    unclejohnny79 said:
    "VACkillers said:
    "Think a lot of people are focusing too much on the PC piracy stuff.... just for the record, there is just as much piracy going on with xbox 360 games and PS3 games as there is with pc's, do a search for stuff and you'll be quietly surprised just how much console stuff is and can be ripped,  but PC always takes the front end of this kind of thing.
    "
    "
    yet... I hope it will never be possible to pirate ps3 games, but its only a matter of time.
    unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By unclejohnny79
    100 said:
    "unclejohnny79 said:
    "VACkillers said:
    "
    "
    yet... I hope it will never be possible to pirate ps3 games, but its only a matter of time.
    "
    I dunno its been a while
    y0y0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By y0y0
    unclejohnny79 said:
    "100 said:
    "unclejohnny79 said:
    "VACkillers said:
    "
    "
    "
    I dunno its been a while
    "
    Well actually you can pirate Ps3 games, however its quite a bit expensive with all the Blu-ray.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lucas_kelly

I'm pretty sure Rage is coming to consoles.

thebrassthief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thebrassthief
    SphynxTA said:

"

I feel like I've just read something I typed a long time ago. Amen man.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VACkillers

Amen indeed and should be told more to game developers. I think the main issue is when a new PC game is released, is getting a rig that'll run it how it should, so people may actually hold off in buying that game, untill they've upgraded and then go out and buy the games they previously couldn't run before, i think that plays a big part in the amount of sales per week / over a period of time.

As TewDee rightly said, Amen!

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OGCartman

Well PC is easier to develope games on and like someone else said, the longtivity is great.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By shotaro

I read an interview with CliffyB in EDGE magazine that said Epic would always support the PC platform, I can't imagine Valve doing so in a hurry either, lest we forget half-life 2 episode 3 will almost certainly be a PC exclusive for quite some time once it comes out.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StressedOutCat

I never understood how they can always claim the games they made is not doing so well in sales because of piracy..

• do they go around people houses and ask if they are running a illegal copy of crysis?
    • do they hold a survey?
    • are they posting it on torrents and websites themselves and seeing how many hits it get?

just wanna know how they come to that conclusion which they then base their business plan on saying " no more pc... " or at least " no more pc exclusive games "
    I would think there could be any number of reasons... like " the games needs a computer that not everyone has..."  or " pc gaming is a bit more complex than console gaming.. " 
    even if they could tell that the game was being downloaded allot illegally... what would interest me is.. what percentage of those people can actually run that game and play it.
    to put it simply.. the number you see it being downloaded does not mean that those people would actually buy the game if there was no alternative way to get it besides buying it.

there is no denying that piracy is bad... weather it be on pc or consoles or whatever
    but I think its just to easy to blame it on just that...
    whats killing the pc gaming industry.. or to put it in better word... " the current state of pc gaming.."  is more to blame on the excuse of piracy.. rather than actual piracy itself
    and we as the users should stop giving them that excuse.

the reason they probably say no more pc exclusive is just so they can make more money..
    if you have 3 platforms to bring your game out instead of one... you would probably sell more units..

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hamz
    Arkez said:
    "If every PC developer used a platform like Steam, im sure it would lower the piracy figures alot. Sure people still get around it, but its more of a hassle. Valve seem to be doing great.
    "
    Exactly. Valve suffered a horrid experience during the developement for Half Life 2 when their Source Code was stolen/leaked onto the internet and then HL2 itself was pirated pretty badly upon release. But the game still was both a financial and critical success amongst reviewers and gamers alike which is why so many people hold Valve in such high esteem amongst the PC gaming industry. Their digital delivery and community program STEAM is just amazing in what it has to offer and if more big developers would begin using it then we'd see less piracy and lots of secure investments.

Developers like Crytek who blame piracy for poor sales figures are just unable to admit it was their fault. Crytek specifically are the reason Crysis sold poorly and they bitched on and on for awhile about piracy being too large on the PC and they were doing no more exclusives for the platform. Then they announce Warhead and the additions to the gameplay in it really aren't that much of an improvement over Crysis, its the same story from another angle but with the sole purpose of trying to make money. Plus the fact Crytek have said the future of Crysis itself rests on how well Warhead sells is basically "buy our game or we'll have a tantrum and not make another game" which is not cool, you don't make subtle threats like that to your fanbase.

Honestly i don't think Piracy is as bad as many make out it is when concerning PC gaming. Sure its a factor but its definately not the sole reason games sell badly. Its because developers either produce beautiful games with little substance in the gameplay or produce games so full of bugs that players just say no to paying for a game that feels like its in a beta stage test.
    zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By zeus_gb

Piracy is a problem on all gaming platforms not just the PC.  The minute we start getting all console ports is the day I stop buying games.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OGCartman

Piracy is also on Xbox 360, imo its much easier because no cracks etc, u just get it modded.
    PC Gaming FTW

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49  Edited By mrhankey

i have a solution...why don't they all authenticate their games through STEAM....there we go...most of problem solved....

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SpecTackle

There's still ways to circumvent steam implementation. All of valve's titles have been pirated. I think 2k games had the most secure method with Bioshock, but at the same time it was punishing to those who actually purchased the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.