Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Sound Stuttering on games in win7

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By beargirl1

what the.. 

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Quesa

Wouldn't let me make my first post. Anyway, the stuttering only occurs in games, and it's constant when it occasionally appears. How should I fix this?

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Buy a new computer

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quesa
    @FartyMcNarly: What an elegant solution!
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By nanikore

Buy a new computer.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By LackingSaint

I had this too, not sure I remember how I fixed it. Try turning down your graphics settings, and turning off any background applications that may be on while you're playing.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

do you have a sound card? if so try updating your drivers or reinstalling them. 

does it occur in every game? 

what are your sound settings in the control panel? are they set to highest? if so drop them to the lowest setting and try again. windows 7 has some unusual sound bugs with older games. 

get back to me with this and i'll try to get back to you.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quesa

It's stuttering on every game I've played on it except peggel. WOW, TF2, and Arkham Asylum all stutter. I've noticed a small amount of video stuttering as well. I went to update all of my drivers and found that they were all up to date. And I don't know how to get to the sound settings other than the volume...

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Quesa

So yeah, a month of contact various supports, updating every possible driver, and a useless visit to Geek Squad -- who told me there was no problem after their "stress testing," and the sound-stuttering is still occurring. Not sure what else to do. No one seems to believe it's a hardware issue, because I think no one wants to mess with it. I'd do it myself, but I'm not at all tech-savvy, and I don't want to break anything.

Wish one of you guys could just hop computers over here and fix it for me...

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By King9999

There's a program called the Event Viewer which might help you to track down the cause of the problem.  Open up the Start menu, and in the search bar at the bottom, type in "Event Viewer."  When you're in there, open up the Windows Logs and take a look at what's going on in there.  I've had ongoing issues with my PC (which is also running Win 7), and I think I was able to solve it by disabling certain services.  Also, take a look at a process called audiodg.exe in Task Manager.  Any sound issues could be caused by this process taking up more memory than it should be (but then if that's the case, then your PC should be locking up).

Does the problem occur when listening to music through a media player?  Are you using onboard sound or a PCI sound card?  Try disabling one and using the other.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Quesa

After the stuttering occurs in a game, then it starts occurring in music and other applications. but otherwise other functions are unaffected. As for sound options, I have ATI Hi-Def Audio, Intel(R) display audio, and realtek Hi-Def audio. Not sure which one to disable.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

@Paperlink said:
    "After the stuttering occurs in a game, then it starts occurring in music and other applications. but otherwise other functions are unaffected. As for sound options, I have ATI Hi-Def Audio, Intel(R) display audio, and realtek Hi-Def audio. Not sure which one to disable. "

Realtek HD audio is typically the Sound chip on the motherboard, ATI HD would be your HDMI video card sound output, and I'm going to guess Intel Display audio is from your monitor or something like that, perhaps you have a monitor with speakers/audio output ports or are using a tv or something as your monitor meaning, the Intel HD is your onboard video chipset (northbridge) audio.

To help you out I would need to know more, specs of your motherboard and such.  Go to cpuid.com and post the mainboard stuff and the video card stuff (name and manufacturer is all I would need really).  Lastly, if you are using windows 7, try something like hulu desktop and check the audio output.  9 times out of 10 this is a driver issue, but could be something on the motherboard not working properly as well.  Need to try some non-3d gaming audio and compare that with in game performance to find out if it is videocard/motherboard related or just software. 

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Quesa

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1134452 here are my specs.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quesa

Streamed two episodes of glee and an episode of castle. Did not stutter at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Just going off the CPUID info, it says ur speed is 1197.0 MHz, meaning its throttling.  Go into control panel and power options, then under cpu setting set minimum cpu to be 100% or just change the power plan to performance. 

Start with uninstalling and reinstalling your video card drivers.  I'm sure you know how to do that. Uninstall, make sure its gone, restart, then install new. 

EDIT:  Just noticed, your GPU speeds, says Core is 157 and Ram is 300.  For that card, should be Core of 1200 MHz and Ram of 850 Mhz.  Download GPU-Z and try and get a real time reading of those when in a game and just on your desktop.
    Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quesa

Set my performance plan to High Performance. If this is the fix I am going to be pissed at my warranty care.
     http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/z6g2k/
     http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/bsdrc/
    first one is idle/firefox, second one is Arkham Asylum/Firefox

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Quesa

Played around with the High performance setting. Sound still stutters. I recorded a recent session, and it's subtle, but you can tell it's there. http://www.zshare.net/audio/75162648d2882945/ Also uninstalled my drivers, restarted, and installed them, by the way. 

Edit: I feel enormously stupid. Turns out I had my computer sitting against the wall with its fans blocked. Moved it about 10 inches and now everything works fine. Thanks for the all help, guys! Appreciate it.

anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By anypti

I have had this problem for about 6 months now. I've tried formating my PC, updated all the drivers several times but i still got the same problem. My sound not only stutters when in games, though it appears more frequently, it also just start to stutter at random when im just listening to music. Anyone got any idea? I've looked around at several forums for help, but nothing has worked yet. Im suspecting it to be my GPU. (GTX 480)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.