Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

SSD Caching

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I'm thinking about getting an SSD and wanted to know if anyone knew of a good SSD Caching solution along the lines of the Intel SRT technology, only it needs to work on an AMD system and with two hard drives configured as a striped array. Can anyone help with this?

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sn1PeR
    I'm pretty sure SSD caching only works on Intel Z68 chipsets.  I haven't heard anything about it coming to modern AM3+ AMD chipsets.  I do believe it will work with a raid array of mechanical drives on a z68 chipset though.   You'll want a SLC based SSD because of all of the abuse caching will put on it.  
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

There are two solutions that I know of, one doesn't work with RAID unless I buy two SSD drives, which is beyond my budget and the other is not available.

Silverstone HDDBoostand here's an unboxing video with some information about the unit, for RAID I would need two of these which I assume would need two SSDs.
    ExpressCache is a software solution (like SRT on the Z68 platform) and this video is of a live demonstration of an ExpressCache laptop versus a non-ExpressCache laptop with identical specs, but it says on the website that it is only available to OEMs for the time being.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.