Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Steam shuts down my PC. Need help troubleshooting!

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders,

The subject line says it all. Playing games on Steam is sending my PC into shutdown mode. Games like Fallout NV or Skyrim (technically i'm running Skyrim through SKSE, if that helps) are a struggle for my current system; I get a very loud fan noise and after a time the computer simply cuts power, no freezes or anything like that.

Could it be an overheating issue? My apartment gets warm during the summer and there could be a problem with circulation in that space, though I do have a floor fan running nearby fwiw. It's also possible I need to update my drivers. And FYI- my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 and my processor is an Intel Core i5.

If it's not obvious I'm not very computer literate, so any advice on how to even begin to troubleshoot the issue would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like it's an overheating issue, download something like open hardware monitor so you can check your temperatures. Also if you haven't vacuumed your system in a while it could be something as simple as dust build up.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like dust & overheating. Your floor fan might be pushing more dust and hot air back into the system making the issue worse.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, as the others have said, pretty sure this is a overheating issue. Try to clean up the fans, heatsinks and rest of the case with a can of compressed air and then install some temperature monitoring programs such as Core Temp and/or GPU-Z and keep an eye on the temperatures and fan speeds for the next few weeks to see if it's been cleared up.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Overheating, also double check to see if all your case fans, gpu fans, power supply fan are working accordingly.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the advice, all. Much appreciated.

@i_stay_puft: What should I look for with the fans?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

@stryker1121: For now just check them visually to make sure they are all spinning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.