Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Talk me out of going console

• 78 results
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By guiseppe

You clearly don't want to put up with the problems you feel that games for PC has. So why would you want us to talk you into sticking with it? Just get a console and if you don't like it, you'll still have your PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-59fb4bc479490
    deactivated-59fb4bc479490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

@StingingVelvet said:
    "I don't post here often, but if I post on my home forum this will just get me a bunch of whiny PC elitism.  Of course it might here too, who knows, but it won't follow me here.  Anyway, all this DRM crap and all these barely better ports have me really frustrated.  On top of that PC games are going all digital pretty much, and I like boxes and feeling like I own a game, that it will play 20 years from now if I keep it safe.  All these things are frustrating the hell out of me to the point where, for the first real time since a PS1 and for the first dedicated time since the SNES, I am thinking of just saying "fuck it" and switching to the mainstream, the zeitgeist, console gaming.  Probably with an Xbox, maybe with both.  Talk me out of it.  Tell me all the cool shit I will miss out on and how it's all going to be ok.  In a sense, coddle me, because I need the comfort.  *just a phase, just a phase* "

First off, have you tried playing a shooter on the console recently? 

Reasons for not: no more CS:S, RROD, YLOD, and all this motion controller shit.  Just stick with steam, try a new genre or something to get ya out of your funk.
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By rateoforange

Use a PC for stuff thats good on a PC and console for stuff that's good on a console. No need to choose.

I'm usually not affected by DRM (exception: DiRT. Fuck you, DiRT), so that's not a big deal to me. I don't mind leasing my games from steam, either. Steam is a very convenient service that eliminates my two problems with boxed games on the pc: finding patches, and finding your discs. I mean they could technically revoke my right to play all the games I paid for, but I don't really consider that likely. I try not to structure my life around unlikely events; makes a man crazy.

rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By rolento

What's to say that hasn't already been said?  Go for both. 
    I'm currently a PC-exclusive gamer (I have a Wii but post-NSMB it's just gathering dust again) but toy frequently with the idea of getting a PS3 for some of the exclusives.  With the PS3 you get access to some great exclusives that in all likelihood won't be ported over to the PC, as well as getting a decent media center if you don't already have one in addition to a Blu-Ray player. 
    As for reasons to stick with PC as a platform?  Well, you already have stated your love of RTS and Adventure games, so there are two right away.  Higher-resolution games (snicker @ 1080p), faster frame rates, more interface options (XBox controller as well as keyboard / mouse depending on what you want to play), many more configuration customization options, lower budget games such as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, Trine, and Torchlight that are amazing.... and Steam.  Yes, Steam.  I know you said you prefer physical copies, but once you make the leap to digital distribution and the outrageous deals that Steam offers, I doubt you'll ever look back.  There is rarely a weekend that passes that some ludicrously amazing deal comes by and I spend $5 - $10 on a great game.  Add package deals to that (Far Cry and Far Cry 2 for like $20 during the holidays) , no tax, and no wasted gas getting to a game store full of sweaty foul teenagers and what's not to love?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Branthog

I was a hardcore PC gamer my entire life and after a couple decades, I finally moved mostly to console gaming. There are a few PC gems (Civilization and MMOs, mostly), but I don't regret it one bit. I'm a software engineer and I love hardware and technology and I love having triple 30" displays and a machine that sounds like an aircraft, but when it comes down to it, I have come to enjoy the variety on consoles far more. Not to mention, I can enjoy them on my sofa with my $25k audio system and my 60" screen and a nice controller as I lay back (though it took me months to become proficient after the move from WASD to console controller) rather than hunched over a desk for hours during recreation time after hunching over it for 60-80 hours professionally.

The downside seems to be that the communities built around games are much more transient and the people online can potentially be even bigger dicks than on PC (though after most of a decade with counter-strike on the PC, there's probably nothing one can hear on console that they haven't encountered a thousand times before on PC). You don't really have the communities, like you do on PC. Where a game thrives for five or ten years. On the console, the community huddles around a game and it either dies within a few months and nobody is playing it whatsoever after that point or they stick with the game until the next iteration comes out and everyone moves on to that (COD, MW, etc).

I miss the days when PC gaming was king and I'd get excited when I got around to building a new top of the line rig every year just for gaming . . . but I think a lot of that is now just nostalgia.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Branthog
    @Tirrandir said:
    " As someone who's a lifelong console gamer who's just now going PC, I'm confused by this.  I was finally swayed by all the steam deals, the crazy experimental indie games that are EVERYWHERE on PC, and my newfound love of the adventure genre.  Of course, a big part of that was that I LOVE digitally distributed games, and I can get away with a 'I will NEVER buy a PC game on disc' policy, which suits me just fine.  Since you stated you didn't like that, I can see where it could go wrong.  But since people use a PC for normal everyday use as well anyway, I say just keep your PC, maybe stall whatever upgrade cycle you're on, and use that money for a console.  They're all pretty cheap, especially if you have a TV already.  There's nothing like living with the best of all worlds.  You can have it all, assuming you shop smart and don't go super overboard on buying games.  "
    Steam deals are awesome. I've spent more than $1,500 on Steam in the past year (and I have the receipts to prove it! :P). However, other than one week of Fallen Earth and a couple months getting back into EVE after a long time away, I haven' actually *played8 any games on the PC in over a year.

I'll definitely hit the PC again when Civilization V comes out. I can't think of anything else I'm looking forward to on it.

My only problem after moving most of my gaming to consoles (after a life of never playing consoles - ever) is that the hardware is made for every jackass to afford. Think how much more amazing games would be if there were a few gigs of ram instead of 256 or 512mb? Or if the hard drives started at 500gb on the low end? And if the processors were a good 50% faster?  But hell no. If we did that, the machines might have to cost a whopping extra $200 at launch. I love gaming. I would GLADLY pay $1k for each console if that meant the capability of the machines would be significantly better. Instead, they have to "dumb" the systems down so that they're about the price of a cheap monitor or television. And even then, they have to subsidize the hardware before the average dipshit will buy them (because god forbid something you really enjoy costs as much as all the soy latte's you drink will!).
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57  Edited By Meltac

Use the PC for indie-titles, and your console for bigger titles. That's why I do.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#58  Edited By Farley_Lives

With as much DLC as there is now, you still really don't "own" anything anymore.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#59  Edited By Kidavenger

I bought a PS3 back in the fall when the slims came out; I think it's a great system; but I hardly ever play it. 

It's worth getting a console (especially PS3), but don't go in thinking it will replace PC gaming.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By VACkillers

well i haven't read most of the posts here, just the first page and op of course. I can totally understand the fraustraition of the whole DRM movement coz after being a pc gamer for the past 20 years solely,  its making me start to wonder aswell, and the funny thing is that even games with DRM in them are still getting cracked first day of their releases anyway, so its not stopping piracey at all anyway. I own a PS3 now, but dont really use it much for the gaming side, even tho i play games on there that you'll never be able to play on a pc like Little Big Planet. But you simply cannot experience games the same way on a console like you can with a pc, playing a real-time strategy like Supreme Commander, or C&C on a console is to me, rediculas, games like Total War they aren't on a console, and you must not forget, consoles have an extremely controlled, limited downloads, with a PC you can download map packs, mods , cheats , total conversions of games, which can give you a couple more years of extra gameplay, you simply cannot do that with a console game.

One of the main issues i have with consoles, and actually is starting to be a trend some some PC games now, is that you have to pay for any addons, aditions or map packs for the games you have, for little big planet, for example, you have to pay an extreme ammount of cash if you want to get any of the extra stuff like the customizations, for battlefield extra maps, you gotta pay in order to get them, on BF2 they were called "Booster" packs. PC games give you the tools to create your own levels, your own maps and vechials. Some people might disgree with me on this last note, but the visuals on a pc game completely out do any console game by such a considerable margin, graphicly, you simply cannot beat how a pc game looks compared to their console counter parts, i have unreal tournament 3 on PS3 and pc, just as an example, and by far the pc graphics are so much better by a considerable amount, theres no comparison. Then you have your MMOS which consoles simply dont have.

At the end of the day, its still really just comes down to personally opinion and feelings, some ppl stick with PCs simply coz of a mouse and keyboard, some prefer consoles coz they cant stand playing a shooter with keyboard and mouse, and thats fair enough!! lol.. but the DRM is only going to get worse, and if thats solely enough to de-teeer you away from pcs then i guess thats the end of that heh, but consoles will go down that road too, eventually, everything will be online only but i seriously know how you feel about the feeling of actualy buying a game in a box, something thats physically in your hands that you can play 10 years later if you wanted... i feel the same way, i still play on my Atari STE 520 and Amiga 1200, dont think i'll be able to say the same thing about games in 10 yrs time, for a start, floppy discs are a lot more robust then cds of dvds :D

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By spankingaddict

buy all 3 consoles, they all have great games...

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By monkeyroach

I own a ps3 and i dont even turn it on.I have a gamefly account and heavy rain siting in system for 2 weeks and still haven't even play thru the first part.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Maru

Why not enjoy both ?? simple solution.  Edit: Go grab a PS 3 and your set. Only problem by doing this is.... you will have too much games to play and no time.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By thecleric

I have a PC and a PS3, I enjoy both, though I enjoy my PC a lot more. but this way I can get into almost anything I want(sans Monster Hunter, damnit) 

I suggest just doing that, even if you don't use your ps3 all the time, it's still good to have.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By c1337us

Go console. But don't go console at the expense of PC, you should do both.

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By Clembo

I mainly play PC games (because it is the best gaming experience I can have by myself) but don't rule out any platform.  PS3 has great exclusives.  If I could only play on 2 platforms it'd be on the PC and PS3.

I wouldn't be missing much if I didn't get a 360 (but I did anyway).

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#67  Edited By mrhankey
    @spankingaddict: 
    PCs have great games as well...
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68  Edited By DukeTogo

Your old PC can still play the old games that made PC great.  Games that still have no equal on console.  Get a console for the new stuff, but boot up some of those old classics on PC every once in a while too.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm the complete opposite. I'm a life long console gamer and I'll be getting my first gaming PC sorted for June. Couldn't be more excited.

GreyFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GreyFox

Mouse and keyboard. Remember that.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By RsistncE
    @Jeust: Honestly come on, you could have at least thought about that stat before posting it. That 16% of total sales for Bad Company 2 only represents the physical copy sales. Digital copy sales still aren't accounted for due to several reasons. I wouldn't doubt that most people bought it digitally (of my entire friends list of 50 some odd people who are playing, only one bought it physically, the rest from Steam or EA). It's nearly impossible to play a pirated copy of this game online through EA online because you need a key, so please, enough with the bullshit.

Those exclusives are STILL exclusives because Sony either owns the rights to the games or the developers have a contract with Sony. What benefit would there be to Sony in producing a game for a Microsoft platform? None. That's why Microsoft does stick some of it's exclusives on the PC, usually as a way to push PC gamers to it's newer OS. Either way, out of all of those games the only one that we miss is Uncharted 2, and to be completely honest with you, I'll take the far superioer PC exclusives over one or two games lost.

So, do you have any more bullshit generalizations to make about PC, or was that all?
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#72  Edited By mrhankey
    @Jeust said:
    " @Arzen said:

" @Jeust said:

"Most great games don't reach the pc. Almost everyone i know only pirates it and that's the pay. "

This may be one of the most stupid things I've ever read.  Also, if almost everyone you know only pirates games, you know a lot of worthless shits. 

@StingingVelvet: I won't coddle you.  I won't comfort you.  I won't try to talk you out of getting a console.  To do so would be an insult to your hobby and mine: gaming.  It doesn't matter what system we're talking about; there are worthwhile reasons to own any and all.  To artificially limit the range of your gaming experiences is offensive.  DRM can be a pain in the ass.  I've personally decided to boycott anything Ubisoft puts out with their new "service".  However, there are still plenty of reasons to game on your PC.  Be patient.  Keep gaming on your PC.  Get a console.  Love both, as they each have different things to offer. "
    Well aren't you felling righteous today! Besides bashing me, did you deny or agree anything i said?  And most people pirate. why pay if you can get for free?  So profits slide on the pc and the bigger companies tend to prefer the consoles. isn't that so? Did i miss a spot? :p "
    1) I wouldn't say "most everyone" pirates pc games unless you have UNBIASED studies that prove this. That means studies not coming from game publishers...etc...or private studies funded by game companies....
    2) Yes pc games have a higher rate of piracy, but thats only because the pc is an open platform where as consoles are closed.
    3) There are also high profit margins on the consoles because games are more expensive, and more people buy the DLC, which pc gamers generally refuse to pay for. 
    4) Also companies such as MS, Sony, and Nitendo pay other companies tobe exclusive, hence another reason for higher profit margins.
    5) Most "sales" of pc games that are reported are Retail and do not include Digital distribution. 

Sorry for doing that to ya, but before you make a claim, please have something to back it up other than game publisher's rhetoric. Why are games pirated? Because they don't give us demos. Because they use draconian DRM systems that can be broken anyways. Once they respect pc gamers, we might respect them.

Ps...without pc gaming, your console tech wouldn't have advanced as fast as it did.

Said from the words of a guy that has PAID for everyone of his pc games!
    VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By VoshiNova
    @Meowayne said:
    " Go console. Now. "
    This.  lol
    I love love love my pc, and use steam quite often. 
    But I play my 360 much more now due to the lack of polish, customization, and general quality of pc games lately.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By ch13696
    @StingingVelvet said:
    " I don't post here often, but if I post on my home forum this will just get me a bunch of whiny PC elitism.  Of course it might here too, who knows, but it won't follow me here.  Anyway, all this DRM crap and all these barely better ports have me really frustrated.  On top of that PC games are going all digital pretty much, and I like boxes and feeling like I own a game, that it will play 20 years from now if I keep it safe.  All these things are frustrating the hell out of me to the point where, for the first real time since a PS1 and for the first dedicated time since the SNES, I am thinking of just saying "fuck it" and switching to the mainstream, the zeitgeist, console gaming.  Probably with an Xbox, maybe with both.  Talk me out of it.  Tell me all the cool shit I will miss out on and how it's all going to be ok.  In a sense, coddle me, because I need the comfort.  *just a phase, just a phase* "
    I have both PC and consoles. The main reason why I stick with PC is that the games will always work. You can build PC after PC and the games will always work (well except DOS games). As far as consoles go, if you own an older console and it breaks down, better hope that the new console you have is backwards compatible. So far the Wii and older PS3's are backwards compatible. Xbox 360 allows some Xbox games to play. 

As far as PC going digital, you can still buy boxed games. Yes, some of them do have you activate online (Steam and soon Blizzard). But once you do, you can stay offline. Steam has an offline mode in their program. Just for now stay away from Command & Conquer 4 and Ubisoft games. I'm pretty sure EA will get their problem fixed. Ubisoft, thats another deal. This is their first time doing this.
    Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lawrens

Just don't buy the games that uses DRM if it bothers you that much, if you want to play something like Assassin's Creed 2 that much, buy a console. Skip games with DRM until you're absolutely out of games to play, by then, 360 is probably out with a slim version, or probably becomes mighty cheap.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jmrwacko

There's plenty of good PC exclusives to keep your PC around for, even if you do decide to game on a console. Starcraft 2's coming out soon, that game's going to be massive and PC-only.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I hate PC gaming because I can't aim for shit with a mouse. Fucking pisses me the hell off. FUCK! 

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Norusdog

why should we convince you of anything..you can think for youself right?

personally I'm a primary PC gamer but own all 3 consoles this "gen" so I'm more then covered....

however if you're not happy with PC gaming...then go console...should be a no-brainer..why does anyone have to convince you of anything

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.