Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Those new Intel/AMD laptop chip systems are getting announced

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

CES has a bunch of news regarding those Intel/AMD chips that combine an Intel processor and an AMD GPU on the same chip. If you missed that announcement, these are, to put it lightly, a really weird thing to see considering that Intel and AMD are cutthroat competitors in the CPU space and Intel also has been pushing its own onboard graphics for a while now. I guess both of them consider NVIDIA to be their bigger competitor, though, and are trying to get a leg up on NVIDIA's mobile graphics stuff. These are really big chips:

No Caption Provided

There's a few benchmarks and such in the article up there, with this slide being especially funny to me:

No Caption Provided

Well, yes, I would expect brand-new laptops to be much better at games than a three-year-old system is.

I've been thinking about investing a bit of cash in a better laptop for gaming; my work-supplied laptop is decent at WoW and Starcraft II and some 2D titles, but pretty much anything recent will choke its Intel 520M graphics thingamabob. It sounds like between Intel and AMD's cut, and HMB memory, these are going to be pretty pricey, though. There's no pricing on the laptops, like this HP model, yet though.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Puchiko

I can't wait for the non Hades Canyon NUCs using these chips to get announced. Current pricing of $799 to $999 is way to much for a NUC. Would like to build an HTPC with this that can also game.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What I want to know is, will this finally give us a 13" gaming ultrabook?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's weird, but I can see why they would be doing. As you said, in this space NVIDIA is their larger competitor.

But my question to you @rorie is do you actually game enough on a laptop (outside of WoW, SC2 and 2D titles) to make sense for a full gaming rig laptop? I've always found that with having a desktop gaming machine, every laptop gaming experience is subpar and just doesn't live up what I would want out of my experience anyway when on a laptop I'm more inclined to just play WoW or less resource intensive games to begin with. The cost seems so high for a full gaming laptop that I'm always curious what the circumstances are that someone fully uses one, especially when they also have a full desktop rig.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.