Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Thousands of errors with OCCT GPU-memtest!

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kohe321

Hey! I hope someone here is familiar with the program "OCCT". It tests various components of your PC pretty hard in order to detect faults/errors.

I ran the gpu memtest and after the test finished the end result was 28k errors! Second run it found 12k errors, then 8k. Though the number it finds isn't consinstent, it is very high across the board... Is my graphics card busted?

It's a GeForce 260gtx "black edition"

A hard question to answer, but I hope there are some PC experts lingering around giantbomb who can.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

First question is does the GPU do what it is mean't too. As in are visuals on your PC either when playing games or running day to day applications working fine? If there is no visual impairments visible then there may not be an obvious problem.

Second thing to do is run a similar test on another software and see does it bring up any of the same or similar problems and errors thist OCCT test brought up. If the answer to this is no and that no errors appear then it could just be a fault on the OCCT programs part.

Personally if the OCCT test is providing inconsistant feedback and the GPU seems to be operating fine and without problem, then ignore the results. A lot of these "PC testing" softwares are crap to be honest, and its difficult to come across reliable ones that provide consistant feedback to narrow down faults. One thing you could do is test the drivers and make sure they are updated and that the previous versions are completely removed first.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kohe321

Thanks for a quick answer!

The GPU is functioning well, really stable and high framerate in games with no artifacts or other odd stuff. The graphics card, along with the rest of the system, is completely new and I thought I'd test it for fun.

I am going to swap the gtx with my old 8800gt that has been running perfectly for well over a year... If errors shows up on that one, I know for sure it's nothing to worry about.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

I'd say if the PC is new then there is nothing to worry about. Its only with older systems you really need to worry about component failures as with age things begin to fail more.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Black_Raven

Use ATI Tools artifact tester and see what happens.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kohe321

Ok so I tried the same test with the 8800gt and it got 9k errors, so I guess it's OCCT that is to blame...

Thanks for the tip on ATI Tools, I'll download that asap!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.