Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Two quick hardware questions.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mister_V

I'm putting together a new PC but its been a couple of years since I have done this so I'm not up to date with my graphics card knowlege.

What is the best graphics card on the market right now (that isn't that Titan thing) is it still the 680? Also what's the CPU of choice at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For nVidia, their flagship is still the GTX 680, priced at $450-500.

AMD has the Radeon HD 7970, at $375-450.

Which is better, is really a matter of opinion. The fastest 7970 is faster than the fastest 680, but the 680 offers PhysX in a few games, and lower power consumption. The 7970 offers AMD's new TressFX in Tomb Raider, as an answer to nVidia's PhysX.

For CPUs, right now intel's Ivy Bridge has a definite lead when it comes to games. the i5 3570k is about $220, and runs almost anything, especially when its overclocked. The i7 3770k offers almost the same clock speed, but with hyperthreading, for an extra $100. Most of its added benefits don't do much for gaming performance, though.

Haswell, intel's next generation, arrives in June, with about 10-15% better performance over the current Ivy Bridge chips.

I'd say right now your best bang for your money is a 7970 with an i5 3570k.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

However my exuberance got the better if me and I ended up getting a TItan.. I'm such a tool. :D

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mister_v: haha, awesome.

What other components are you running with it?

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail
    @mister_v said:

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

However my exuberance got the better if me and I ended up getting a TItan.. I'm such a tool. :D

Hahaha, nice.

I love how you dismissed it in your first post but then with a twist just suddenly embraced it, after you got a proper answer from someone. I actually chuckled. Good going, and happy gaming.

By the way, which processor did you get/are planning on getting?

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mister_V

Well I didn't actually realise the Titan fell just within the price limit I had set myself so I couldn't say no. Call it future proofing.

Rough specs are:

7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1155

120 GB Samsung 840 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (2 of them)

2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

16GB (4x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Intel Z77 Chipset

kickahaota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I can appreciate futureproofing. But in the future, rather than buying a $900 Titan, consider a different approach to futureproofing:

• Buy a $450 video card.
    • Hide the remaining $450 in a safe place that no one will touch, like a box of fat-free cookies.
    • In about a year in a half, when the deficiencies in the current $450 card start to become noticeable, buy another $450 card.

That future $450 card will be a lot better than a Titan.

But I'm in a very poor position to lecture others on possibly-excessive spending.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Ugh, people still like to brag about their start up time? Ditch the SSD and save your money.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

@sins_of_mosin said:

Ugh, people still like to brag about their start up time? Ditch the SSD and save your money.

Load times are so much better, totally worth it. Games that stream assets are also much better (Witcher 2, ArmA 3, Any UE3 game). That said, you should go with a larger SSD. That's much too small for a game library.

I can appreciate futureproofing. But in the future, rather than buying a $900 Titan, consider a different approach to futureproofing:

• Buy a $450 video card.
    • Hide the remaining $450 in a safe place that no one will touch, like a box of fat-free cookies.
    • In about a year in a half, when the deficiencies in the current $450 card start to become noticeable, buy another $450 card.

That future $450 card will be a lot better than a Titan.

But I'm in a very poor position to lecture others on possibly-excessive spending.

You'd have to wait a good long while for it to be "a lot better" than a Titan, especially if you make use of the amount of VRAM that beast has.

I also don't freaking understand why people tell people who can afford to spend that much on a video card that they should be more careful with their money. If you can afford to spend $1000 on a video card, you'll be fine doing so and super happy to have it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.