Unreal! Yes, this is an actual PC screenshot!

• 79 results
#1 Edited by TMThomsen (2080 posts) -

No Caption Provided
Man, times have changed. I remember when I first tried Unreal as an 11 year old and was too scared to play beyond the first level. That first level was extremely cinematic at is time, and I am utterly impressed that it ran so well on a computer without a GPU.

Have we gotten too greedy with graphics? Have you turned down a game because of its graphical quality alone?
#2 Posted by CL60 (17117 posts) -

Holy shit! That's an actual in-game screenshot?!

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7811 posts) -

Life after Mario 64?  I can't even imagine a world like that.

#4 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5454 posts) -

Dude I'm gonna have to upgrade soon.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
#5 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

I've never turned down a game because of the graphics.  I played Max Payne for the first time last December and loved it.

#6 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1485 posts) -
The idea of turning down a game because of its graphical quality is alien to me, as long as it doesn't burn my retinas like Might and Magic II does to me now. Games that craft compelling worlds and narratives can still be played and enjoyed no matter when they came out. I find it a little bit distressing how over-hyped HD graphics are when the costs of making such games means fewer and less risky relases.
Lol @ the Unreal cover. I remember it being pretty scary at the time (oh shit the lights just went out!).
#7 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5015 posts) -

I don't believe it.  Has to be shoop'd.

#8 Posted by yukoasho (2248 posts) -

Oh lord, go ahead, make me feel old why don't you?

Seriously though, nice time capsule there.  Though I don't remember there ever being talk of an N64 Unreal...

As to choosing games based on graphics, fuck no.  At least not technical graphics.  Art style goes a long way with me, which is why I love stuff like Bayonetta and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

#9 Posted by TheHBK (5670 posts) -

There is so much to this cover.  Look at it all. 
The M2, that piece of crap never came out. 
Unreal for the N64?  WTF? 
When graphics cards were called 3d accelerators 
Miyamoto talking about his next plans.  Shit, this sure hasnt changed. 
Street Fighter 3 sucked.  Now we can bask in the glory that is Super Street Fighter 4.
#10 Posted by TheHT (15676 posts) -

nostalgia trip in three...two...onaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

#11 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1791 posts) -

I only turn down a game for graphics if I can't tell whats going on.

#12 Posted by MadeinFinland (835 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" I only turn down a game for graphics if I can't tell whats going on. "
ditto.
#13 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

Don't worry, consoles will get to this level of detail eventually.

#14 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Don't worry, consoles will get to this level of detail eventually. "
pshh not likely
#15 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Crysis has been owned.

#16 Edited by jakob187 (22943 posts) -

I have that issue. 

That Street Fighter 3 article was fucking stupid.

#17 Posted by ATrevelan (618 posts) -

Man, I friggin LOVE the original Unreal.

#18 Edited by mewarmo990 (855 posts) -

I would never turn a game down just because of its graphics. Some of the greatest games ever created aren't even in 3D, much less the high-definition craze that's the trend nowadays. I mean,  awesome graphics certainly add quite a bit to the experience, but gameplay should always be paramount (it's a video game, after all). Just try to imagine how much better than the first game Lost Planet 2 could have been if they spent all that effort that went into the visuals on improving the gameplay instead. What a damn waste.

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -

EPIC!

#20 Posted by Jadeskye (4392 posts) -

Clearly Pre-rendered.

#21 Posted by schizogony (1003 posts) -

Dugg

#22 Posted by iSylence (372 posts) -

So obviously concept art drawn by a person.

#23 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7071 posts) -

...What is Next Generation?

#24 Posted by Diamond (8678 posts) -
@PrimeSynergy:  It was a pretty cool mag quite a while ago.
#25 Posted by c1337us (5877 posts) -

Damn it. I really want to know which 3D accellerator I should buy.

#26 Posted by BeachThunder (15059 posts) -
@c1337us:  None, 3D is just a fad.
#27 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2529 posts) -

Jeez louise that issue dates back to 1997, man have graphics gone a loooooooong way since then. I remember when I though the graphics of super mario 64 were ' the shit ' back then but then again I was 9 years old and all I had was a sega mega drive. Shigeru's plans for the future were to pump out every spin off of the mario franchise and wait until the year 2010 before he would decide to release a 2nd 3d mario platformer on the same console. Too bad I have no idea what was said in that interview for that issue.
#28 Posted by Willy105 (4917 posts) -
@Cold_Wolven said:
" Jeez louise that issue dates back to 1997, man have graphics gone a loooooooong way since then. I remember when I though the graphics of super mario 64 were ' the shit ' back then but then again I was 9 years old and all I had was a sega mega drive. Shigeru's plans for the future were to pump out every spin off of the mario franchise and wait until the year 2010 before he would decide to release a 2nd 3d mario platformer on the same console. Too bad I have no idea what was said in that interview for that issue. "
Yeah, I never really understood why he only made one Mario game per generation until the Wii. 
#29 Posted by themangalist (1870 posts) -

10 years from now, Crysis would be holy cow we used to play that shit?
wow.

#30 Posted by CowMuffins (1781 posts) -

I turn down a game because I can't run it on my computer. Not because it has bad graphics.

#31 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1972 posts) -

It just shows how fast technology and the video game industry is changing. They are revolutionizing the world with unbelievable capabilities.

#33 Posted by TheGremp (2090 posts) -

I've turned down Super Mario Galaxy and SMG2, mostly because of the graphics.  After watching Blu-Rays, HDTV, and 360 games in 1080p, standard resolution is almost painful to look at now...  I suppose I've been spoiled by HD, but I honestly see no reason to go back to SD to play a brand new game. 

His face is essentially a blur during gameplay, and the edges look like they could use some serious Anti-Aliasing.
 His face is essentially a blur during gameplay, and the edges look like they could use some serious Anti-Aliasing.

It really is too bad that Nintendo didn't step up to HD, because I think the Wii would be a much more viable console, and I would personally play it much more. 

So go ahead and say I'm a shallow gamer and that games are about gameplay...  I've heard it all several times before.

#34 Posted by Landon (4137 posts) -

Graphics will never look better than that.

#35 Posted by NTM (11379 posts) -

Mm, no. I would love to see and play every game I have at its highest quality, of course, but it doesn't turn me away from a game if the game itself is good enough. Crysis is a good example. I pretty much have to run that at its very lowest throughout the whole game to have at least 30 frames, which is absolutely fine by me. I simply don't like slow frame rates. That's the only problem I will have when it comes to playing games on the PC. I'll definitely pass on it, since... I can't really play it anyways right? Ha ha.  

Know what I hate? I hate when you can play a high-end PC title like Crysis well enough, but you can't run a game that came out some years before or the same year and run it as well. Like Call of Duty 4? Darn. Oh well. Just... give me the best freakin' PC and I'll be set :P. Just kidding, no greed.
#36 Posted by JoelTGM (5784 posts) -
@TheGremp: 
Na that's not a crazy thing to say.  That would be like launching your brand new PC game, and then lowering the resolution down to like 640x480 or so.  It's ugly.
#37 Posted by Hitchenson (4708 posts) -
#38 Posted by Tebbit (4609 posts) -

Will my Voodoo run this?

#39 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

Who's the complete bitch who ruined the vibe ITT?

#40 Posted by natetodamax (19467 posts) -

Daaaaang

#41 Posted by agentboolen (1995 posts) -

I thought Street Fighter 3 wasn't that bad, why the hate???

#42 Posted by Bones8677 (3530 posts) -

Simpler times.

#43 Posted by FreakAche (3081 posts) -

I was only 6 in 97, but I must say I find this really amazing. I had to look up M2 on Wikipedia.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
#44 Posted by buzz_killington (3657 posts) -

Unreal was like the Killzone 2 of its time.

Avatar image for revolvinglezard
#45 Edited by RevolvingLezard (21 posts) -

Daaaamn, now that makes me feel old!! Ahhh, nostalgia..... 

I have been unable to play games because they were too good for my PC, so the opposite is true for me. Gameplay comes waaaay before Graphics. Probably why I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy so much.

#46 Posted by JJWeatherman (15076 posts) -

That's awesome. It's always fun to look back and laugh.

#47 Posted by RoujinX (428 posts) -

Mount & Blade, dude. Mount & Blade.
#48 Posted by Zero_ (2078 posts) -

OH SHIIIIIIIITTT

#49 Posted by ch3burashka (6086 posts) -

It seems Next's April  Fools issue came out 2 months late.

#50 Posted by davidwitten22 (1712 posts) -

As someone who just got a Ps3 last Christmas, I don't care about graphics. I can still play Ps1 games and N64 games. I still play Chrono Trigger and I'll probably start FFVI for the first time soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.