Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

USED PC GAMES... WHUUUUT???

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By defaulttag

Recently I've been shopping around for slightly older NON-STEAM PC titles. Amazon and Ebay specifically have cheap PC games......that are used. The questions that struck me is: Do the CD-keys of these games really matter for registration to play the game? Or are the keys just for the CDs themselves, that once you enter the key, you can play the game with all its features offline AND online. For example, my Warcraft II disc does have a CD-key, but does not need to be registered online, and thus that key is not bound to any one owner. Would you trust buying a used PC game, assuming CD-key included?  

If you guys have any knowledge about whether a used copy would work and if these will run on a modern system (windows 7 x64), some info would help. Piracy is not an option here. 

USED PC Games I'm shopping for: 

Quake 4 -I do not have a 360. 
    Legacy of Kain Series (all 5 games) -I want higher resolutions with the PC. PS1 and PS2 versions just do not look as good. 
     Diablo 1 -never played it
    Warcraft: Orcs and Humans -never played it  
    Medal of Honor 10th Anniversary
    Battlefield 2142 -not on Steam strangely, yet Battlefield 2 is.  
    Halo 1 -never played it. I'll need to buy Halo 2 new for GFWL, but how about Halo 1? 
    Fable 1 
    Resident Evil 4  

That's all I'm looking at for now. I know GOG has some good older titles as well, but I don't think any of those are on there. 

Note: It's messed up how some people are selling used copies of retail versions of Steam games, WoW and its expansions, etc... 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

I have a hard time understanding your post but the games will simply not install without their CD keys. You'll also have a hard time finding used PC games i believe.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Just make sure it doesn't have securerom DRM and yes you need the cd key for all these games. Some of these are old, so it might not need to register online. Eb games doesn't sell used pc games anymore and it's usually not a good idea to buy it because of these things.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @jadeskye said:
    " I have a hard time understanding your post but the games will simply not install without their CD keys. You'll also have a hard time finding used PC games i believe. "
    Yep!
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor

If the game forces online registration (and ties the CD key to your account), then you're screwed and can't get it. If someone already used the key, selling it on second hand is the same as selling someone a car without the keys. 

However, that's more of a recent thing so nearly all the games on your list should be fine - the CD Key is random and merely used to allow you to access the installer, nothing else.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By defaulttag
    @jadeskye: @SpikeSpiegel: The games I'm shopping for do come with the CD-keys and I will use them upon installation. But these are USED PC games. I'm just asking if those CD-keys involved an online element which had them already bound to the original user OR if it's just an old school CD-key for the disc themselves. If it is just the latter, then I can buy these used PC games. If they do have an online registration, then I need to find a new copy instead. 
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By droop

They're all old and most likely cheap to get new.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By defaulttag

just to clear things up. I am not asking if I can buy a used PC game without the CD-key. I am asking if I can buy a used PC game WITH the CD-key and if that CD-key would work.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By droop

With these games you should be able to enter the CD key as many times as you want, it might not work online if the code is in use though.

I would think.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't think Battlefield 2142 will work though, I think it's bound to an account. 

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ATrevelan

Battlefield 2142 and Quake 4 are the only ones I forsee problems with. BF2142 I think it's almost guaranteed to have some issue, and Q4 depends entirely on what DRM is used. Many of the other games on your list will require CD keys, but the only restrictions they'll have involve online play; you can install the games on a million different computers, but you can only play online--as in multiplayer--with one at a time.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ben_H
    @defaulttag said:
    " just to clear things up. I am not asking if I can buy a used PC game without the CD-key. I am asking if I can buy a used PC game WITH the CD-key and if that CD-key would work. "
    Yes, it would.  The only issue I can see is BF2142.  If the last owner had their CD key banned then you could not play online but you should be fine otherwise.  For most of those games, the key will be bound to the disk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.