Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Wanting to install a Windows 95 game on a Windows 7 PC...

Avatar image for fireflys_locket
    fireflys_locket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By fireflys_locket

I don't play a lot of games on my PC, so I'm wondering if there's anything special I'd need to do to get this game to work.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoG

What game is it? If it's available on GoG.com, it might just be easier to spend $5 and have all of the incompatibility issues taken care of for you.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Seedofpower

Dos Box. Save yourself a headache.

fireflys_locket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fireflys_locket

The game is Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. And I don't quite know what a Dos Box is... I really don't do much more on my PC than internet and The Sims 2.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It depends on the specific game. Some might run out of the box. Some might need some tweaking. Some might be almost impossible to run without a virtual machine.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Seedofpower

@fireflys_locket: It's a PC emulator, A lot of games from that era don't run on anything with xp or up. This program pretends to be Dos, the old operating system, and will run games from that time. If you buy games from GoG, they usually come installed with Dos Box.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Von

@fireflys_locket said:

The game is Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. And I don't quite know what a Dos Box is... I really don't do much more on my PC than internet and The Sims 2.

The first few links here should get you started.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Von said:

@fireflys_locket said:

Is that necessary? This is a video game website last i checked, pretty sure we aren't too good to answer questions regarding them.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Von

@Atramentous said:

@Von said:

@fireflys_locket said:

Is that necessary? This is a video game website last i checked, pretty sure we aren't too good to answer questions regarding them.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending. I just like to post google links that way. :) I can confirm that it works under VMWare though, but you need a win95 disc for that.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

Also if you are going with the dosbox route for anything, go after the frontend programs they list on the site. I've been happy with dosshell & haven't tried many others but it essentally acts like the launcher from steam (saving you having to type everything in all the time to get a game going). Last time I checked on another Win95 game that doesn't work on Vista/Win7 is Nocturne. Hopefully the people like me interested in the game, will read this & save themselves the headache of trying to get it working.

fireflys_locket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fireflys_locket

@Von: I'm afraid I don't have a Windows 95 disc. I did already check that website, since I'm a big fan of the game, and I knew about it beforehand. ^_^ Thanks for trying, though.

fireflys_locket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fireflys_locket

@Seedofpower: Thank you for the advice; I shall try it soon. ^_^

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By elbon

All you need is a virtual pc very simple to set up and easy to use

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By ArcBorealis

Christ, I went through this same process you're going through for the past couple weeks. For the same game, even.

fireflys_locket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fireflys_locket

@Alaska_Gamer: Really? That's interesting to hear. Did it work out? Were you able to play through the game?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeF

@fox01313 said:

Also if you are going with the dosbox route for anything, go after the frontend programs they list on the site. I've been happy with dosshell & haven't tried many others but it essentally acts like the launcher from steam (saving you having to type everything in all the time to get a game going). Last time I checked on another Win95 game that doesn't work on Vista/Win7 is Nocturne. Hopefully the people like me interested in the game, will read this & save themselves the headache of trying to get it working.

aaww man Nocturne! I remember playing the demo over and over back in the day.

That's the part where gaming sucks ... being tied to specific hardware/software to run the games.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By ArcBorealis

@fireflys_locket: I was able to, but it wasn't easy.

For start, installing Windows 95 requires both an install CD and a boot disk (a floppy). Obviously people these days don't have floppy drives, so you'll have to look for a boot disk image file to download. Same can be done with the install CD, just find an iso for download. Then a problem came for me during the installation where certain files could not be copied over. If that happens, don't worry about it, most of them are for networking. The real problem is getting a sound card set up, because the game won't run without one. That was a much bigger headache for me. Since there are so many different sound cards to install, just go with Creative Sound Blaster 16.

It is doable, but you'll probably be doing a lot of searches for help on how to figure out a problem.

BTW, it's best to use VMWare since it's better at hardware emulation than Virtual PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.