Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

WASDIO - The PC Game Controller for Action Games.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By weirdo

Kickstarter Pitch: The Wasdio replaces WASD (keyboard) and makes action and adventure games easier to control.

I usually just look around in the gaming section and found this little handy dandy thing. Personally, i won't be getting one and i may or may not pitch in, why won't i be getting one? Well, as you saw in the video (if you bothered to click the link and watch the video) he explains there are "million buttons my fingers had to master" By that i assume he actually ment "Under the stress battle, and add the fact it was my nemesis, i was stressed out and unable to properly excecute what i wanted to do"

Now, i'm a hardcore PC gamer and i don't have any problems remembering what key does what ingame and the more you play, the more such situations you end up in like that, the more you will get used to it and be calm under battle.

Fuck this, i'm too tired to give a shit to sound intelligent and give the impression that this "WASDIO" is gonna revolutionize the way we play PC games, when the fact of the matter is: It's the end result if the mouse and keyboard had an incestuous relationship.

Will this abomination of virtual nature just be hunted down by our torch and pitchforks and be strung up by a burning stake? Or will it rise above our short sighted conception of "Life" and be hailed as a saint?

But let us be fair, who HASN'T hit that god damn Windows button at the heat of battle?

Seriously though, this could become something

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

Aren't there a bunch of alternate PC game controllers on the market already? Logitech, Razor and Belkin all make peripherals which allow you to move with a mini-joystick or gamepad.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By murisan

That looks incredibly janky. Those buttons are far too small and packed together for my liking.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By weirdo

@PenguinDust said:

Aren't there a bunch of alternate PC game controllers on the market already? Logitech, Razor and Belkin all make peripherals which allow you to move with a mini-joystick or gamepad.

Because those periph's are made and designed to keep you in the system, man! The man wants you in the system to keep the system alive, man!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PenguinDust said:

Plus can't you plug and play a ton of games with a simple 360 controller?

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By llamaegg

@Video_Game_King said:

@PenguinDust said:

Yes, but I believe this is intended to be used a keyboard replacement instead of a mouse replacement. I guess it's trying to go for the best of both worlds?

Looks neat, but not getting one. Give me mechanical keyboard or give me death!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@PenguinDust said:

Some people say that they can't, or have a really hard time using, a controller.

I don't see that as an excuse. I spent a long time getting used to the keyboard and mouse so I could properly play first-person shooters, so someone who isn't used to controllers can do that vice versa. But some people are impatient and want games designed solely around a controller's strengths to work well with a KB/M.

On topic, if you can't already tell my position is of the "some games are just made for controllers, some games are better with KB/M" group. I can use both.

Just to add to the smarmy dickishness of this post, the OP could use much better wording. That's horrible, dude. I mean, I assumed that this:

he explains there are "million buttons my fingers had to master" By that i assume he actually ment "Under the stress battle, and add the fact it was my nemesis, i was stressed out and unable to properly excecute what i wanted to do"

was a joke at the bad grammar of Google translate, but the rest of your post is almost as bad.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

I spent a long time getting used to the keyboard and mouse so I could properly play first-person shooters

You did? My experiences with Half-Life 2 on the PC were some Plato-ass shit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258 said:

I spent a long time getting used to the keyboard and mouse so I could properly play first-person shooters

You did? My experiences with Half-Life 2 on the PC were some Plato-ass shit.

Oh, mine was too. I quickly saw the light, so to speak, but that doesn't mean that it didn't take a while for my hands and wrists to get used to it. It doesn't help that our computer desk, at the time, was horrible and uncomfortable and the only game I really had to play on PC was the Marathon series since it was free, I was broke, and our computer was from 2001.

I imagine that, given a proper place to use a KB/M and a half-decent computer, one could learn the wonders of aiming with a KB/M much faster than I did. I didn't have those luxuries. Poor me.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

I had the mouse and keyboard. The half-decent computer, on the other hand...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

@believer258:

I had the mouse and keyboard. The half-decent computer, on the other hand...

Worth mentioning that I eventually got a laptop and played Half-Life 2 on it with the exact same fucking problem. However, I already had the Orange Box and had played through HL2 enough times to know it backwards and forwards.

Do you have a proper PC now? You were playing Saints Row 3 a few days ago, so I assume that you do, but there are always those crazy people who try to play new games on onboard chips at 15FPS.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258:

I've had a new PC for a couple of months now. Saints Row 3 runs well. Not at max settings, but I got it running.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By VisariLoyalist

that thing would need to weigh like 100 pounds or something the way I would be jerking it in the heat of it... that sounded weird...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By crusader8463

No thank you. None of their excuses for why keyboards are so terrible are true for me. I'm perfectly happy with my KBM. Plus needing to go in and set those dam key binds for every god dam game I play sounds like a nightmare.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

Holy shit this looks like the worst thing ever.

weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weirdo

@believer258 said:

Just to add to the smarmy dickishness of this post, the OP could use much better wording. That's horrible, dude. I mean, I assumed that this:

he explains there are "million buttons my fingers had to master" By that i assume he actually ment "Under the stress battle, and add the fact it was my nemesis, i was stressed out and unable to properly excecute what i wanted to do"

was a joke at the bad grammar of Google translate, but the rest of your post is almost as bad.

Seriously, you take offense for another person whom you have, I assume, never have met in your life? Here's a tip, care less of what other people say of other people. And if you read between the lines of "Will this abomination of virtual nature just be hunted down by our torch and pitchforks and be strung up by a burning stake? Or will it rise above our short sighted conception of "Life" and be hailed as a saint?" It actually reads as (before learning of Razer Nostromo and similar products):

Will this new technology be shunned by gamers and left forgotten? Or will it be embraced and spawn technology similar to it?

I do find it kind of funny how you took offense for another person, why would you even be offended for another person?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

Yikes. That looks unwieldy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Justin258
    @weirdo

@believer258 said:

Seriously, you take offense for another person whom you have, I assume, never have met in your life? Here's a tip, care less of what other people say of other people. And if you read between the lines of "Will this abomination of virtual nature just be hunted down by our torch and pitchforks and be strung up by a burning stake? Or will it rise above our short sighted conception of "Life" and be hailed as a saint?" It actually reads as (before learning of Razer Nostromo and similar products):

Will this new technology be shunned by gamers and left forgotten? Or will it be embraced and spawn technology similar to it?

I do find it kind of funny how you took offense for another person, why would you even be offended for another person?

You've either mastered the art of both good trolling and emulating Google Translate, or you really need to stick to forums in your native language.
    TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By TyCobb

No thanks. The video on the page made me not want it.

It looks like there is too much time to go from one direction to another. Sorry, but pressing A or D to change your strafe direction is much faster than moving a joystick from left to right. Maybe if you could shrink the dead zone on the joystick it would be okay, but then I would expect it control even weirder and not as accurate.

If it's not a flight sim, keyboard all the way.

Personally, I would like to see a tiny joystick that can gripped by my thumb and index finger and three buttons on it that curve to the left and downward for the middle, ring, and pinky fingers. I could see that being pretty fun for some games that don't require a lot of buttons, but still need a mouse to play. I don't know, it would probably feel like ass, but right now it sounds like something I want.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By murisan

@TyCobb said:

No thanks. The video on the page made me not want it.

It looks like there is too much time to go from one direction to another. Sorry, but pressing A or D to change your strafe direction is much faster than moving a joystick from left to right. Maybe if you could shrink the dead zone on the joystick it would be okay, but then I would expect it control even weirder and not as accurate.

If it's not a flight sim, keyboard all the way.

Yeah, I mean.. that video made it look like you can't move diagonally. That's REAL dumb if that's the case.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TyCobb

@weirdo said:

But let us be fair, who HASN'T hit that god damn Windows button at the heat of battle?

There are some gaming keyboards that let you actually disable it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816002

I found it when I was looking for a good mechanical keyboard. I almost bought this one until I saw that not all of the keys are mechanical, but it does allow for locking Windows key.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By goatmilk

@ajamafalous said:

Holy shit this looks like the worst thing ever.

It does look pretty dumb and awkward. I really can't think of a game where I'd benefit from it. I suppose stuff like voice commands/binds? But then again if the game has something like Battlefield's "comm-rose" that's just a keypress away. If you wanted something more there's always mice with programmable buttons which have been around for years.

Of course this already has almost $28k because it's a stupid idea on Kickstarter. That and the ~pro esports gamer bro~ market is so gullible and easy to profit from I guess.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By myke_tuna

Looks kind of not ready. Needs to go back to design or something. When the man is playing Left 4 Dead 2, he melees a couple of times before picking up a gas can. It's probably because the buttons on the other side of the "knob"(?) are too close together. Regardless, the thing shouldn't fuck you up in-game like that.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Sooty

Why this when I can use a 360 pad? What?

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BurBan_Snake

1 Question: Why?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By envane

looks ok but also completley useless , if someoen gave me one id use it as an extra control hat for a flight sim or something , or maybe a gear shifter

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By triple07

Looks cool but I doubt it will ever get very big considering the appeal of the keyboard isn't that its the ideal way to play games but everyone has a keyboard and usually a mouse so that's the default. Of course I hate playing games with a keyboard because I think it sucks for any kind of gaming so maybe I'd pick one of these up if it ever comes out.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Doctorchimp

PC gaming...is now dead

weavminas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By weavminas

I am one of the uncoordinated fools that finds the keyboard part of kb/m useless in most games. Starcraft works very well for me (at least up to the point where I kinda suck at it). I've tried different keyboards, a Logitech G13, and even a flight stick for games that map movement to buttons. This project has my interest.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By yinstarrunner

In what world does this guy live in where having to move your ENTIRE hand around every time you want to move somewhere more effortless than depressing a single finger or two?

Really, this thing looks like a clusterfuck. All I can imagine while using it is the sensation you get when you try to rub your belly and pat your head. I suppose anyone could get used to it in time, but it's the same with the keyboard, and this thing seems to offer exactly 0 advantages over good ol' WASD.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TyCobb

@yinstarrunner said:

In what world does this guy live in where having to move your ENTIRE hand around every time you want to move somewhere more effortless than depressing a single finger or two?

Really, this thing looks like a clusterfuck. All I can imagine while using it is the sensation you get when you try to rub your belly and pat your head. I suppose anyone could get used to it in time, but it's the same with the keyboard, and this thing seems to offer exactly 0 advantages over good ol' WASD.

I like the fact that in the video he says they don't let 360 and PS3 players play against people on the PC because they will get dominated by the precision of the mouse and keyboard. I would love to see someone use this and get dominated by someone using a 360 controller.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#33  Edited By jeff

I do think it's a little weird that we haven't seen the rise of a good "left-hand" replacement for PC games. The mouse is pretty much perfect, no need to change it. But isn't it sort of weird that people still use this all-digital option with their left hand? So many games allow for analog movement with a gamepad and I've come to appreciate that fidelity of control in those games. Or, at least, when I play the PC versions of those games, I miss the ability to easily creep around slowly at different speeds. Movement speed toggles are lame.

That said, I'm not convinced that this thing is the One True Way. Neat idea, though.

khopps17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By khopps17

It's creative and what I believe could be a step in a good direction, however it seems a little too clumsy to be practical. I'm essentially missing the difference between this and mapping these same functions to a flight stick...

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#35  Edited By Sin4profit

Would be a smarter idea to make it a 3 axis system so you could also sell it as a 3d modeling controller as well.

It's a far smarter design direction to replace a keyboard then the Logitech g13/Razer Nostromo type systems.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ch3burashka

On the one hand, I recognize the fact that the keyboard as it is wasn't designed for gaming. On the other, people have more or less adapted to it to a point where it's not really an issue. I understand the concept of this being a "solution", I just don't think the "problem" is big enough to be necessary. Also, I'd feel like a PC elitist asshole if I felt I required one. I'll stick to the WASD's for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sooty said:

Why this when I can use a 360 pad? What?

You can't use a 360 pad and a mouse.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer

Hmmm, I'd buy something like that if it actually emulated the analog stick on a controller. Full analog movement on the left hand and precision mouse aiming on the right hand would be a dream come true for me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By TobbRobb

That thing seems pointless as fuck. Come back to me when it handles analog movement and companies start making games to work well with it. Then maybe.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    weirdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By weirdo

@believer258 said:

@weirdo

@believer258 said:

You've either mastered the art of both good trolling and emulating Google Translate, or you really need to stick to forums in your native language.

Why thank you, I don't even try.

Avoiding questions for the win!

@TyCobb: Yea i know <3 I bough the Razer BlackWidow a while back now and it still works great! Disabling that Windows key is like a gift from the Gods. Benedic Razer.

@Jeff: It is possible in our day and age, what could be done is to apply something cushion under the WASD keys and sensors to detect how much pressure is pushed on a key. Problem is, today we all much prefer to own or plan to own a mechanical keyboard. I'm not bashing anyone or any company but this is how it is. But then again, this is why kickstarter is alive and kickin' ain't it?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By phrosnite

Looks interesting but I don't need it. Also IJKL ftw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.