Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What do I actually need in my laptop?

GiantRobot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantRobot24

I'm planning on ordering a custom laptop from here: https://www.mythlogic.com/configure.php?id=170 and there are way more options than I expected. I somewhat recently got a pretty nice job and my current laptop is dying so I want to build the best laptop I possibly can within reason. I know I'm going with the i7 Devil's Canyon and GTX 980m, but beyond that I'm kind of lost. I assume I need the 330w adapter, but do I need the power converter box? I can have up to 4 hard drives in this thing, why the hell would anyone need 4 SSDs? Is it something to do with RAID? Will 32GB of RAM really be necessary any time soon? I made some poor decisions with my current laptop so any help would greatly appreciated.

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I put a lot of money into a gaming laptop when I first got to college, but I was pretty disappointed. The performance you get is pretty underwhelming, without even considering the fact that the same money gets you much better on a desktop. I'd advise just getting the essentials for a laptop and put what's left into a nice PC, but I don't really know your situation. 8GB of RAM hasn't really been exhausted yet, unless you're doing heavy graphic design or something. 1 SSD is usually plenty (though I have 2 in RAID 0 for faster read/write.) Dunno about the rest.

sk3pt1kal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You'd get much better value out of a desktop, so I definitely recommend going that route. 8GB of ram is enough. 1 SSD and 1 HDD would be perfect for gaming. You honestly won't notice much difference for games on an ssd anyways, HDD usually load more than fast enough in most games.

GiantRobot24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GiantRobot24

You'd get much better value out of a desktop, so I definitely recommend going that route. 8GB of ram is enough. 1 SSD and 1 HDD would be perfect for gaming. You honestly won't notice much difference for games on an ssd anyways, HDD usually load more than fast enough in most games.

@zaapp1 said:

I put a lot of money into a gaming laptop when I first got to college, but I was pretty disappointed. The performance you get is pretty underwhelming, without even considering the fact that the same money gets you much better on a desktop. I'd advise just getting the essentials for a laptop and put what's left into a nice PC, but I don't really know your situation. 8GB of RAM hasn't really been exhausted yet, unless you're doing heavy graphic design or something. 1 SSD is usually plenty (though I have 2 in RAID 0 for faster read/write.) Dunno about the rest.

Trust me I'd much rather go with a desktop, but my living situation is uncertain and looks to stay that way for a while, that's why i'm going with the laptop. Chances are I'll be doing a decent amount of traveling and I want to be able to game on something other than my 3DS for extended periods of time.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

Lenovo y50 is spectacular for the price except in regards to battery life, and edging a little on heavy but still real compact for gaming. 860m is plenty to run most games at medium to high. Check lenovo outlet regularly; i got one for $525 us.

E:sorry just as a rec, if you can/are willing to pay more for better specs more power to you.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If money is an issue, you don't need an ssd it will only decrease your load times just get a 7200rpm hdd and 8gb of ram (not to keen on laptop hardware but should be easy enough to upgrade later?) I just got an SSD on my desktop and it's great, but as far as gaming i've seen very little improvement honestly. Save the money, it's easy to upgrade later

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot recommend against getting a 17 inch laptop strongly enough. They are heavy as shit and a pain in the ass to lug around. I don't know much about gaming laptops, but maybe get something like the Razer Blade (http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-fullhd) or 13" Alienware (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-13-r2/pd?ndlvid=59a5-2ebcd0).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@kylenalepa: I have a 17-inch screen and take it all over. I can't imagine having anything smaller.

MiasmaFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great Laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/G751JY-DB72-17-3-Inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00YR6BNVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440946765&sr=8-1&keywords=G751+JY

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ghost_cat

One of my biggest disappointing purchases ever was getting a big, beefy laptop. The performance was obsolete within a year, and it was inconvenient lugging it around school. Just saying man, if you NEED a laptop, just get one that does the work you need done. Anything gaming or multimedia-work heavy should go straight to a desktop.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Wacomole

Just to throw a little suggestion out there.

Maybe get a laptop with a fairly small screen for portability (it should also be slightly cheaper) but also get a cheap decent size monitor to hook it up to when you are at home.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.