Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What would you say this PC is worth these days?

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Hey duders,

I'm considering selling my living room PC to a buddy, but I'm wondering what it's worth these days.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cugabuh/saved/MCLHxr

Would you say ~$800 is a fair deal for this? I know GPU prices decline pretty rapidly but I am not sure what the depreciation value is on memory and processors.

Note, it would come with Windows as well unless he wants to go with a fresh copy for some reason.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By uhtaree

@big_denim

How old is it? If you can build the same computer new for $800 I would knock at least a hundred off it to be fair. With windows, maybe 50-75 off depending how old it is and your perceived cleanliness level, like if I knew you had shag carpeting and dogs running around I would want a decent discount.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uhtaree: Ya, I'm thinking somewhere around $700 would be fair. It is probably 3 years old at this point if I had to guess. I believe the GTX 970 is only 12-16 months old though. A few folks on GFaqs are saying $500-$600 but that seems quite low to me. Maybe components depreciate value way faster then I thought they would though :/

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PillClinton

If that's just your living room PC, what's in your main PC?

And yeah, $700-800 seems fair to me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

$500-$600 seems about right for friend pricing to me. Maybe $600-$700 on the high end to a random person from Craigslist.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Did you pay $800 for that system, or do you think that's what it is worth now? I'm thinking around the $500 range. If you originally paid like $1,000 or more, I can see you going closer to $600.

There's a couple of factors here including the price of components/the cost of the original build and their usage. For example, if somebody were to buy a new graphics card today instead of 3 years ago, they can get more bang for their buck. Probably the more relevant thing is how old the parts are. Eventually something will fail in that machine. I recently sold an old computer to my mom at a low price because 1) She's family, 2) That computer was over 4 years old, so if one of the hard drives or the motherboard went, I could say "Hey, you only paid X for it".

If you do sell it, I would do a system reset to wipe all of your data. This should also speed up the computer a little bit for whoever buys it.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Neurogia

Did you build the computer yourself?

I was able to craft my living room PC for $500, and the gpu is a gtx 1060 6gb.

Seems steep otherwise.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neurogia: It must be an i3 or low end i5 processor with no SSD, right? That seems a bit low, considering a 1060 alone is between 200 and 250...

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By big_denim

@pillclinton: I have a 4790k/GTX1080 in the office. I also have a 970 miniITX build that's in my bedroom right now that's more less functioning as a Netflix/Streaming machine. I'd probably move that to the living room and start using a PS4 I haven't booted up in months as the bedroom streaming machine.

It really comes down to two things:

1. I have a terrible addiction to building PCs. I just really like tinkering, upgrading, and building PCs.
    2. The upgrade treadmill is a dangerous thing. I never really dealt with selling off old parts, so when you see GTX 970s, processors, and memory just sitting around your house you start to think "Gee...all I really need is a MoBo, some fans, and a case and I'm good to go...). That inevitably triggers the bullet point above and it's a filthy, endless cycle :P

After everyone's input, it seems like I'd let it go for $600 - $650 if I decide to sell it. I'll probably just keep it for myself and help him build his own PC though. I'd hate to sell it to him something that has little upgrade path outside the GPU since it's not on the new Skylake architecture.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: It's ok, buddy, you've got GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Happens to the best of us.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

yeah i would ask 600-650$ for this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.