Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Why are PC players entitled?

• 133 results
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Dany

Why do people complain when games are 60 instead of 50? Or that they have to pay for DLC? I've never understood that, I've had my xbox then followed by my 360 and never touched  game on the PC. Why all the special treatment for the PC and their audience?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude what? You're not making sense.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Willy105

Because the PC Master Race deserves more than what the console peasants get.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube
    @Willy105 said:
    " Because the PC Master Race deserves more than what the console peasants get. "
    Not exactly. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, wouldn't you be upset if your games suddenly got 10 more expensive for no reason? Why should PC gamers put up with it? Because it makes console gamers feel good if they cost the same across platforms? Even if we don't analyse the reasons behind the cheaper price point in the first place (no platform holder licencing fees and what not), there was a standard on the platform, as there is for any platform (hey, Wii games are generally 50 too), and companies attempt to change it to their benefit and to the consumer's expense. Who in his right mind wouldn't be against that?

As for DLC, if I get free DLC from company X (more like V, for Valve I guess), why would I want to become a customer to company Y, which doesn't offer that? I'd go back to company X. It's not a matter of being entitled, it's a matter of going where the best service is. Just like everyone should do for any platform.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dany
    @Al3xand3r: Well with the console jump prices jupmed 10 biucks but apparently not on the PC...any reason why?
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Willy105 said:

" Because the PC Master Race deserves more than what the console peasants get. "

It's especially ironic when someone with a red nick on Giant Bomb posts that.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fallen189

Because it's a more niche audience, and I presume it's to keep the ever apparently dwindling market.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimbo
    @Willy105 said:
    Correct.
    No Caption Provided
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Semition
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Correct.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    This is awesome in so many ways.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Cube

PC games are 10 dollars cheaper because there's no licensing. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What's weird about PC gaming is that if you put out 3 DLC packs that cost $10 each, you start a shit storm.
    If you put out one expansion with 3 DLC packs worth of content and charge $34.99, no one cares.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Willy105 said:
    "Because the PC Master Race deserves more than what the console peasants get. "

this. but on a serious note I believe the hike in prices had to do with MW2 and they took away features that we wanted and charged us 10 more dollars so yea some people got pissed and didnt buy it like myself 
    Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @Semition said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Correct.

"
    This is awesome in so many ways. "

Genius! This is exactly what real life is like!
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Semition
    @odintal said:
    " What's weird about PC gaming is that if you put out 3 DLC packs that cost $10 each, you start a shit storm. If you put out one expansion with 3 DLC packs worth of content and charge $34.99, no one cares. "
    The DA:O expansion was 10+ hours long, and people did complain about how it was too short and not worth the money.
    zeekyhbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zeekyhbomb
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Correct.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    I love this
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo

MW2 price hike didn't really make a difference here in the UK.  You could get the console versions on launch day for £26 (~$40) in some places, and PC for a little less if you pre-ordered early enough.  Probably why it sold so many on the first day here.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By haggis

Microsoft sets the premium game price at $60, that's why. The general argument offered (mostly bullshit) is that the extra cost has to do with Xbox licensing and quality assurance testing that doesn't need to happen on the PC because there is no unified online architecture. In other words: Microsoft takes a cut from the profits on Xbox games (to finance Live Silver, and Live infrastructure) that it doesn't take out of PC games.

I think $60 is too much for a game. I think $40 is more what most games are worth, and will only pay full price for games I know will deliver at least 20-30 hours of gameplay. Otherwise, I wait to buy it used or when it hits the bargain bin as new (which happens more quickly and more often than you'd think).

As for DLC, the main problem is that DLC often feels like it was made to be an original part of the game, and was basically withheld so they could charge us more. In other words, our $60 is paying for only $55 worth of the game, and then they expect us to shell out another $10 for the remaining $5 content they should have given in the first place. Not *all* DLC content is like that, but a lot of it is. It means that some of our games seem to be incomplete as delivered. I don't think people have a problem with paying for DLC if the content is worth it, and a true expansion of the game.

As for the PC gamers getting "special treatment," well, I think they'd disagree ;)  The PC gaming market is simply different than the console market, and the games are priced accordingly. That is, I think even PC games are mostly overpriced. The response to overpriced games is simple: wait to buy them. Yes, I know, we all have a problem with delaying gratification. We want new games immediately on release. Which is why they're priced so high. They know a lot of us will buy them anyway. I'm becoming more disciplined. The only game I've bought in the last six months for full price was Mass Effect 2. I've bought just as many games as last year at this time, and spent half as much. Sure, I had to wait a few months to play Assassin's Creed 2, but that was no big deal.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ch13696
    @Dany said:
    " @Al3xand3r: Well with the console jump prices jupmed 10 biucks but apparently not on the PC...any reason why? "
    Dammit. Another one of you guys? There's a lot of stuff on the console that I can complain about that PC players don't have, but I'm not. If you have a problem with the $50 price point and free DLC then get a PC. As a matter of fact most likely you already have one. So buy the games on that. Till then, shut the fuck up.
    Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Colonel_Cool
    @Dany said:
    " Why do people complain when games are 60 instead of 50? Or that they have to pay for DLC? I've never understood that, I've had my xbox then followed by my 360 and never touched  game on the PC. Why all the special treatment for the PC and their audience? "
    Why wouldn't we complain? Games have always cost $50. PC development doesn't require licensing fees unlike console development, so charging $10 extra for nothing is ridiculous. In my opinion, there are very few games worth even the $50 cost, and I usually wait for the price to drop on most games anyway.  

As for DLC, I am not opposed to it, so long as the amount of added content justifies the price. Things like horse armor are an insult, but other DLC's like the Borderlands add-ons are great. Also, when developers like Valve release free maps and campaigns for their games, it is ridiculous when companies like Activision charge $15 for 3 new maps. 

And really, the PC gamers don't get any "special treatment" as you say. We get treated normally, and pay normal price. Console players are the ones paying extra.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sixghost

PC gamers pay for games?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Colonel_Cool said:
    " @Dany said:
    " Why do people complain when games are 60 instead of 50? Or that they have to pay for DLC? I've never understood that, I've had my xbox then followed by my 360 and never touched  game on the PC. Why all the special treatment for the PC and their audience? "
    Why wouldn't we complain? Games have always cost $50. PC development doesn't require licensing fees unlike console development, so charging $10 extra for nothing is ridiculous. In my opinion, there are very few games worth even the $50 cost, and I usually wait for the price to drop on most games anyway.    As for DLC, I am not opposed to it, so long as the amount of added content justifies the price. Things like horse armor are an insult, but other DLC's like the Borderlands add-ons are great. Also, when developers like Valve release free maps and campaigns for their games, it is ridiculous when companies like Activision charge $15 for 3 new maps.   And really, the PC gamers don't get any "special treatment" as you say. We get treated normally, and pay normal price. Console players are the ones paying extra. "
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Thanks for playing.
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SadPatrol
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Correct.

"

OH MY GOD
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dany
    @ch13696 said:

" @Dany said:

" @Al3xand3r: Well with the console jump prices jupmed 10 biucks but apparently not on the PC...any reason why? "
    Dammit. Another one of you guys? There's a lot of stuff on the console that I can complain about that PC players don't have, but I'm not. If you have a problem with the $50 price point and free DLC then get a PC. As a matter of fact most likely you already have one. So buy the games on that. Till then, shut the fuck up. "
    There is no reason to be passive aggressive. I am just curious about why it's the way it is. I am not out to get anyone nor to complain or bitch I am asking a question and want an answer and your false assumptions about me are unnecessary and just annoying. So how about you treat people with respect and not make assumptions.

@haggis:
    Hmm, that makes sense I guess. I guess it does make sense, considering what the dudes on the podcast said about the drm stuff. It is a different beast to handle
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ch13696
    @Dany:  Because the way you started your post sounds like you have it out for PC players.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dany
    @Colonel_Cool:  I think that is where it stems from, valve just releases stuff for free while Activations wants to get 15 bucks from it.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dany
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Dany:  Because the way you started your post sounds like you have it out for PC players. "
    I don't. Just curious why things are the way they are.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mikemcn

Why? Because games really only need to cost 50 bucks (Even that may be a little steep.), but over time people have grown used to paying 60 for something simply because they are locked in to the games that Microsoft or Sony permits.. On PC there are so many options that there really is no need to pay 60 when you could get an equally great game from somebody else that only costs 50.

Its sad that everyone sees us as entitled simply because they've fallen for the console creator's bullshit. Its not our fault, seriously, we want everyone to pay the same price for games, 60 just isn't that price.
    @zeekyhbomb said:

" @Jimbo said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Correct.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    I love this "

And this is pretty funny.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Dany: thats more to do with the fact that valve focus on serving their community where as activision tend to drain every penny they can from their customers.
    jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By jasondaplock
    @Dany said:
    I don't understand what this has to do with the PC, specifically. The licensing thing has been brought up a bunch so I won't go into it, but paying more for games sucks regardless of platform. If Nintendo decided to charge $60 for Galaxy 2, everyone would hate their guts for it (and begrudgingly hand over the cash anyway).
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bhhawks78

PC gamers need to learn to not make LOL petitions and stfu with the crying when something dumb happens.  Vote with your wallet and shut your fucking mouths.  (Typed on 6 month old home built gaming pc)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have nothing against pc gamers. they're just as infantile as their console cousins despite what yahtzee would lead you to believe.

i do hold a grudge against pirates and pirates seem to flock to the pc.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Kazona

I think the $60 price tag for PC games will become more common due to increasing costs of attempting to prevent piracy. It wouldn't surprise me if, eventually, PC games end up costing more than their console counterparts due to the high overhead costs in anti-piracy measures.

That little theory might be far fetched, but as anti-piracy for PC games get more complicated, they'll also get more expensive. But to be honest, I think the big developers will give up on the PC completely long before that happens.

Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fuzz_Butt

Why do people complain when games are 60 instead of 50? Or that they have to pay for DLC? I've never understood that, I've had my xbox then followed by my 360 and never touched  game on the PC. Why all the special treatment for the PC and their audience?  

Well one, we complain when games are $60 only if they are not worth $60. Console gamers pay the extra $10 for licensing fees. If a game comes out  and it's $60 and it's not a Collectors Edition or comes with goggles or something, than something fishy is going on.

As for DLC, that really depends on what's being offered and what it's priced at.

It's not that PC gamers expect "special treatment" or anything, it's that PC as a platform is like a structure built on foundations that work well (not the best) and when a game like MW2 comes out with no dedicated servers for example (dedicated servers being part of the foundation), you have to expect some backlash.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have the POWER 

to pirate

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By korwin

DLC wise it wasnt that long ago where PC player didnt have to pay a single cent for new content.  Maps - Free, New Quests in an RPG - Free.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Korwin said:
    " DLC wise it wasnt that long ago where PC player didnt have to pay a single cent for new content.  Maps - Free, New Quests in an RPG - Free. "
    Companies didn't have an online model for extra content but the sure as shit had a plan to charge people for things like that. Just about everyone of my favorite PC titles has an expansion pack.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By trophyhunter

because they are assholes

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kishan6
    @Dany: LOLOLOLOLOL special treatment that we get....................... 
    dude stfuwe didnt get uncharted/halo3/gearsofwar2/godofwar/Resistance 
    gtfo
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well usually pcs and videocards are more expensive. Also pc games doesn't goes through the same licensing as console games, it cuts cost a bit that way. Still most of us are used to the lower price, ubisoft is now trying to ignore it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By korwin
    @odintal said:

" @Korwin said:

" DLC wise it wasnt that long ago where PC player didnt have to pay a single cent for new content.  Maps - Free, New Quests in an RPG - Free. "

Companies didn't have an online model for extra content but the sure as shit had a plan to charge people for things like that. Just about everyone of my favorite PC titles has an expansion pack. "
    Expansion packs are a different kettle of fish, i'm refering to things like "The Siege Firemoth" content for The Elder Scrolls 3.  Those content pacls are all comparative to the individual packs released as DLC in The Elder Scrolls 4.   Maps were always free, and more often and not the SDK was included with the game allowing communities to create their own content.
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Osaladin

It probably has to do with how much the consoles cost, versus how much a good pc costs. PC gamers need to save money somewhere, and since the hardware is relatively expensive for us, then the games should be less so.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By warxsnake
    @Dany said:
    Why all the console newfags gotta be sheeps and ENCOURAGE publishers to fuck them in the ass by happily buying 15$ map packs and 2$/costume in fighting games, vote with your fucking dollar damn.  

Also just for technicality sake, its 60 dollars on console because the 10$ goes to microsoft / sony as part of platform deals. 10$ out of every console game sale goes to the console manufacturer. You dont have that on PC, the extra 10$ you see now is extra from...thin air. 
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dany
    @warxsnake said:
    " @Dany said:
    Why all the console newfags gotta be sheeps and ENCOURAGE publishers to fuck them in the ass by happily buying 15$ map packs and 2$/costume in fighting games, vote with your fucking dollar damn.   Also just for technicality sake, its 60 dollars on console because the 10$ goes to microsoft / sony as part of platform deals. 10$ out of every console game sale goes to the console manufacturer. You dont have that on PC, the extra 10$ you see now is extra from...thin air.  "
    Don't yell. I've already read enough great responses about the reason why, your passive aggressive response does little to add to what I learned. Thanks though.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DCFGS3

"Here, we're giving you the games you would usually buy, and have been buying for the past 20 years, being the major supporters of many gaming franchises, except now we're jacking up the prices and not developing for you any more, just have some console ports." Wouldn't you be mad? They jack up the price and remove functionality.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By OneManX

I remember hearing on a ep of the Bombcast that DLC is basically content that was cut... Because sometimes, stuff gets cut b/c it didn't work or it didn't make sense in a storyline sense (talking about the Assassin's Creed II DLC) 

As for which side is better. It's basically a wash, I like using consoles to play games like Uncharted, Infamous, Metal Gear and PC to play games like Starcraft, Dragon Age, etc.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Dany said:
    " @warxsnake said:
    " @Dany said:
    Why all the console newfags gotta be sheeps and ENCOURAGE publishers to fuck them in the ass by happily buying 15$ map packs and 2$/costume in fighting games, vote with your fucking dollar damn.   Also just for technicality sake, its 60 dollars on console because the 10$ goes to microsoft / sony as part of platform deals. 10$ out of every console game sale goes to the console manufacturer. You dont have that on PC, the extra 10$ you see now is extra from...thin air.  "
    Don't yell. I've already read enough great responses about the reason why, your passive aggressive response does little to add to what I learned. Thanks though. "
    He's not being passive aggressive, he's responding in kind to a question which you knew would incite reaction from PC gamers.  Your questions are the epitome of passive aggression.  Your pretense that you actually learned anything through this process is laughable.  Take your trollbait elsewhere please.  We're not interested here at Giantbomb.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By voodooterror
    @Jimbo said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    Correct.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    you forgot the DRM monster that should be bumming the life out of the glorious pc gaming master race
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the trolling replies, PC users have invested a great deal more than console gamers. What is it now... $900-$1500 for a "max" performance PC? 
    PC users should not need a subscription. Xbox Live monthly payments are equatable compared to the new hardware we need to purchase every couple of years to keep up on the latest graphical advances. 
    PC users have kept lifelong expectations of more and more variability and customization as years stroll on by. With endless user modifications that are ready to a PC user's disposal, then what's the point of DLC? 

At least, this is what I believe is the perspective of a PC gamer. They are entitled to massive freedom from the heavy price. I kind of understand how they are really pissed off at the Modern Warfare 2 charade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.