Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Will a GTX 660 work in this PC?

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpoogeMcduck

So I just upgraded my PC to an nvidia GTX970 and I'm trying to see if my old gtx 660 will work in my friends PC. He doesn't know much about PC's(I know just enough to upgrade n such) and he wasn't sure what his motherboard is or what he has in there currently except for an AMD Radeon HD 6700, so he sent me this screenshot of his system devices.

No Caption Provided

The requirements for the GTX 660 on nvidias page it states PCI Express 3.0 "- GeForce GTX 660 supports PCI Express 3.0. The Intel X79/SNB-E PCI Express 2.0 platform is only currently supported up to 5GT/s (PCIE 2.0) bus speeds even though some motherboard manufacturers have enabled higher 8GT/s speeds."

Looking at the system devices is anyone able to tell if his machine is compatible or not? I'm thinking he has the PCI 2.0 gen but I'm not sure. I would go and pull it apart and see whats inside and just look up whats on the mobo but its a bit of a drive so I wanted to check before hauling the graphics card up there for no reason.

Thanks to anyone who can edumacate me on this!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Ask him to run DXDiag, click Save All Information and then send you the text file.

The 6700 is a mobile graphics card so it's entirely possible he doesn't have a real graphics card slot.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spiffy, I'll have him send that. All I know is that he's been able to run most games but he's turning graphics way down on newer stuff now

chris24680

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By chris24680

With the way most connections nowadays are keyed, I find that if the card fits and has power to it it will tend to work.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's on the 2nd gen Core processors, so realistically the card WILL work, but I mean, he may have an i3 for all we know so it might work poorly. And don't worry, PCI is backwards compatible.

You could get him to install CPU-Z, that'll show him, and you, what's in his box.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoogemcduck: All H67 boards should be pci-e 2.0 I think, a faster way would be to just get his mother board model.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.