Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Windows 7 Gaming

Jacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jacy

I'm really impressed so far with Windows 7 and gaming. Very very few games refuse to work on it, and it's very very early beta. Not to mention there's very little resource hogging like Vista does. Anyone else think Windows 7 will become the new XP for the a lot of stubborn ass gamers who refuse to move away from XP? I switched over to Vista awhile ago after a PC of mine died, but after using 7 for a month or so now, I can safely say I'll never be going back to lil' ol' Vista.

BONUS QUESTION: For anyone else using the 7 beta, what games have you had issues running? Mine are Crysis and the Fear 2 Demo off the top of my head. Former just crashes when it loads, and latter refuses to install, no matter what I do.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Have you tried using compatibility mode to get those games to work?

Jacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jacy

For Crysis, yes. Didn't seem to make much of a difference. For Fear 2, I'd love to be able to get that far, however it just pops up with a dos box for a split moment then shuts down mysteriously when trying to start the setup. Don't particularly care for either of those games though, so no harm done.

lazyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lazyb

quake live doesn't  work on it.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Lunarbunny

Any Punkbuster game, especially those not set up to work with more locked down Vista setups, is likely to cause a PB kick. Main problems (due to popularity) are BF2 and CoD4. Apparently World at War doesn't give too many people trouble though.

Jacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jacy
    Lunarbunny said:
    "Any Punkbuster game, especially those not set up to work with more locked down Vista setups, is likely to cause a PB kick. Main problems (due to popularity) are BF2 and CoD4. Apparently World at War doesn't give too many people trouble though."
    Well that's a shame. BF2 always has had problems, no matter the OS, though. I'm sure once Windows 7 is closer to release, those issues will be worked out.

Hopefully...
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By PureRok
    Jacy said:
    "Lunarbunny said:
    "Any Punkbuster game, especially those not set up to work with more locked down Vista setups, is likely to cause a PB kick. Main problems (due to popularity) are BF2 and CoD4. Apparently World at War doesn't give too many people trouble though."
    Well that's a shame. BF2 always has had problems, no matter the OS, though. I'm sure once Windows 7 is closer to release, those issues will be worked out.

Hopefully..."
    Vista had the same problem when it was brand new. Punkbuster runs as a background system process and they just haven't updated it to recognize Windows 7.
    QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By QuattroRS6

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2339538,00.asp 

I haven't read through the whole article yet since i'm not using Win 7 but it might help some people.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny

I should probably mention that VAC does not mind Windows 7 one bit, I know that for absolute sure.

Monkeymantjg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Monkeymantjg

I had trouble with Fallout 3  but ran on xp it said you have to activate .net3.5 in your programs and features? which as far a I saw it was activated... and it is installed when you install the game and installed other games....

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aegis_and_pred

i did a video blog about this today on my youtube site :p  it looks like windows 7 will be a pretty solid platform for PC gaming.  Should be nice ...

http://www.youtube.com/predasus if you're interested.  It's Video Blog #3.
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I`m on Windows 7 also, I have not had any problems with any game so far, it`s looking great so far.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Johnny5

Really excited about how they kinda "redo" vista. It'd be nice to have a really really good OS.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista.  It takes up a lot less memory and I think that might even be causing increases in framerate but don't take my word for it.  I think I might even use 7 over XP on both my computers when we get the final release.

I did have a bit of a problem with Far Cry 1 for a while but I stuck it in compatibility mode and it ran fine so I don't really know what happened there.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By xplodedd
    IncredibleBulk92 said:
    "Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista.  It takes up a lot less memory and I think that might even be causing increases in framerate but don't take my word for it.  I think I might even use 7 over XP on both my computers when we get the final release.

I did have a bit of a problem with Far Cry 1 for a while but I stuck it in compatibility mode and it ran fine so I don't really know what happened there."
    I am not sure how to install it, like should I just put the disk in?
    or format my computer first,
    it would be nice if someone could tell me in a PM or whatnot.
    darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By darkgoth678
    aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lettuceman44

Windows 7 is still in beta, so give it time.

Btw, it is looking really good! I'm impressed!

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I'm quite impressed also. Everything I've done either works as good as XP or better. I also find it to be faster, oddly enough.

LCadejoNegro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LCadejoNegro

Im extremely impressed by W7. I remember when i installed the vista beta...it was horrible. The only games i had problems with was BF2142. I played Crysis, Crysis Warhead, FarCry 2, UT3 COD:WaW and Spore...all of them in max setting. I did notice a increase in frames when playing FarCry 2 on 7. I have a partition with 7 and vista ultimate ONLY because of the PB problems. Having W7 on both my laptop and desktop, i can say that W7 is already performing better then Vista.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.