Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Windows 7, the love fest thread

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bretthancock

It dropped today, has anyone had the chance to install it yet?

I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit from my MSDN account for the last month and it's been a blast to use so far.  The number of things that are now built into windows(file sharing, icon based taskbar, file browsing) is impressive.  I didn't have to install a single driver either on my home machine or my work laptop. 

Post your thoughts in here, so far it's been a dream to use.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By timay

I have been using Windows 7 for about a month as well. Overall it just feels like windows vista 2nd edition. Which is not a complaint since i had no issues with vista for the 2+years i had been using it.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By 6n00bkilla9

i've been using it for like a year and I love it but sadly now i use a mac but i still game on my pc and love it for that

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bretthancock
    @timay: I had no problems with Vista either, but Win 7 is definitely more responsive to less RAM which is nice.  I'm only running 4GB and it's a champion.  Also deployment for businesses is way easier with windows 7 then Vista.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

For anyone with a .edu email address, Microsoft is offering Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional for $30.  I'm definitely taking up on this offer later this year.

http://www.win741.com

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bretthancock

wow that's a really good deal, might have to hit that up!

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Megalon
    @CitizenKane said:
    " For anyone with a .edu email address, Microsoft is offering Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional for $30.  I'm definitely taking up on this offer later this year.

http://www.win741.com "
    That's totally how I got it - downloaded it this morning! Works great.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane
    @Megalon said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " For anyone with a .edu email address, Microsoft is offering Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional for $30.  I'm definitely taking up on this offer later this year.

That's totally how I got it - downloaded it this morning! Works great. "
    I'll probably pay the extra $ for them to send me the disc.  I like to do fresh installs every now and then.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog

Other than for gaming, I still see no compelling reason to be drawn away from OSX, Debian/Slackware, and Solaris which are all my daily preferred environments. (This isn't insinuating an OS religious debate, but demonstrating the lack of generated interest about a particular platform's release over the tendency for excitement surrounding others, for some reason). Further, I don't see anything about Windows 7 that is currently compelling enough to make me bother upgrading from XP on the windows partition (which is only used for the occasional game).

Even if I lived and breathed a Windows environment, I don't think that Windows 7 would excite me. I get excited over new versions of OSX and Solaris and new linux kernels and new Debian releases (you know, every blue moon when one of those actually occurs), but each version of Windows has always seemed far less interesting than the previous one.

I don't have any qualms with Windows or Windows users (though I detest the operating system on a number of technical merits that the typical user doesn't give a fuck about), but even if I didn't have needs that far exceeded Windows (development, debugging, scripting, living in the shell, open data and source access, etc), I think I would have been underwhelmed and let down by both the Vista and Windows 7 released. And I was a guy who got a little excited the morning of Windows 95's release and even XP/2000 and fondly recall a time when I was beta testing NT 3.5 (oooh!).

Part of it may just be that each version of Windows since the first release of XP has seemed like nothing more than a small iteration essentially going nowhere. Like the difference between an 2006 model car and a 2007 model car. Not enough to care about. I know I was certainly excited (like many others) back when Microsoft was aiming to do rather revolutionary (for Microsoft, at least) things with the core of their operating system, storage, data indexing, retrieval, scheduling and other things. But all that seems to have gone by the way-side for . . . well, for whatever they're shoving out now.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

It's great...

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By roofy

Also using Windows 7 Ultimate from my student MSDN

love it so far, very work efficient in its layout with minor tweaks.
     has a very nice minimalist look.

wishing i had a bit more ram and firefox support (4GB)

Avatar image for roarkindustries
    RoarkIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RoarkIndustries

Picked up an OEM copy for a system build at Newegg. Yet to install, but will give it a go this weekend

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum

Still using the RTC version of Windows 7, but I'm definitely going to pick it up whenever I build my new PC next year.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bretthancock
    @Branthog: The only reason it excites me is because I use Windows out of choice and necessity and finally there is a really good option.  My personal computing habits at home would more then suffice with a MAC(I hardly game) but I love building PCs so I run Windows and always have.

At work though I don't have an option.  I have to be ready to deploy this OS in a year or so(hopefully) and knowing that there won't be any compatibility issues with our servers is a welcome relief.  Plus it's got features growing out its ass that XP never had, makes my professional life a lot easier.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By artofwar420
    @CitizenKane said:
    "For anyone with a .edu email address, Microsoft is offering Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional for $30.  I'm definitely taking up on this offer later this year.

So glad that's still going on, I was afraid they'd cut it after final release.  

FINALLY I'LL UPGRADE FROM XP, YOU ARE WORTHY WINDOWS 7 TO TAKE OVER MY PRECIOUS XP. So long precious.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

I'm wary of touching it until at least Service Pack 1 is released, honestly.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoelTGM

It is awesome.  I installed it on my notebook that used to have Vista, and it is so much faster now.  It's very fast, clean, and efficient.  I love how it organizes the taskbar or whatever you call it at the bottom there, it keeps the work space as clean as possible.  I'd definitely prefer this over XP, it feels so much better organized.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By spacetrucking

Got it today for free. No, not that way. My university is part of the MSDNAA program that gives us access to almost every MS software without paying anything.  

I chose to go with the 32 bit version since my laptop is kind of dated and only has 2 gigs of RAM. Is anyone here running the 64 bit version ? I heard a lot of  2-3 year old games have issues running on the 64bit version.

@Branthog:  To be honest, the only difference I found between Vista and 7 has been in terms of performance. 7 is noticeably faster when running multiple apps, while still maintaining the pretty interface from Vista. There's really no need to shell out 200 bucks for it yet but if you happen to buy a new PC or can get a deal somewhere, I would definitely recommend picking it up because MS is sure to stop supporting Xp sometime in the near future.

PS: To everyone buying the student version ($30) - beware of the Digital River service, their download manager is really crappy and they don't have a customer service phone line (only an online form which bugs out 9/10 times).

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman

man, windows 7 looks pretty fcuking sweet, and this is coming from an apple fanboy.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Darkstar614

What I don't understand is why "Windows 7 upgrade" is $129. 

Vista -> 7 isn't $129 worth of improvements.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Darkstar614 said:
    " What I don't understand is why "Windows 7 upgrade" is $129.   Vista -> 7 isn't $129 worth of improvements. "
    Is the new Madden worth $60 of improvements every year? Usually not but sadly thats just how the software industry works. Missed deadlines and rigid price structures. :/

For what its worth, the upgrade would work even when going from Xp to W7.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
    deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CitizenKane said:

Awesome. I'm going to get this asap. I've already been running Windows 7 RC and it is a lot faster than vista IMO.
    Dragonseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dragonseer
    @Branthog said:
    " Other than for gaming, I still see no compelling reason to be drawn away from OSX, Debian/Slackware, and Solaris which are all my daily preferred environments. (This isn't insinuating an OS religious debate, but demonstrating the lack of generated interest about a particular platform's release over the tendency for excitement surrounding others, for some reason). Further, I don't see anything about Windows 7 that is currently compelling enough to make me bother upgrading from XP on the windows partition (which is only used for the occasional game)...   

You've pretty much summed up my feelings about Windows 7, I'm not quite sure why people gush over it - I mean, do people have no experience with other OS's or what?  I quite like Snow Leopard and Ubuntu, but I can never seem to get Windows working the way I want it.  I end up doing tweaks, like disabling superfetch on Vista (this alone probably accounts for any performance increase people see with Windows 7) but Microsoft can never do seem to do away with things like the registry - which is always a pain to deal with.  I think the only thing that Vista and 7 have over XP is directx 10 and 11 for graphic nuts with expensive hardware, and even then not many games are able to take advantage.
    Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pepsicolaboy
    @CitizenKane said:

shit thanks dude. this is awesome.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoeMarsden
    @Killjoy:
    I'm running games like Grim Fandango, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale without a problem on Windows 7 x64.
    cadebenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cadebenzon

i have been using the betas of windows 7 for since april, and i have had the full version for about a month or so now.  I never have really had a problem with windows ever since the bad ol days of 98'.  But, after getting over my initial WOW factor of how it looked (and i do still love the glass window effect in aero), I find myself wondering just how much of and innovation this is, and not just another iteration.

I naturally got my version of windows 7 for free, thanks to them sweet torrents, but if anyone were to complain about piracy, know that I am one of those people who only pirates things I would NEVER buy.  I never have and NEVER will buy a new operating system for a computer that isnt new.  And I dont feel I am alone in this.  No one I know would ever think to pay $130-$220 or whatever it may be, to upgrade a piece of software, when you can buy a brand new PC, that aint too shabby, for $400...  HELL, i bought my computer for 400 bucks a year ago, quad 2.4 Ghz cores, 2 gig ram.  Are you going to tell me that my OS was even a quarter of the cost?   Dont think so!  Its lunacy what some people will pay for. So therefore, since i would never buy it, Microsoft doesnt make any money off me either way.

Plus OSX did all that "new windows" stuff forever ago...  Same with microsofts newfangled stores.  Just a bunch on copycats.  I truly wish microsoft would innovate, and not just play catchup all century long...

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spacetrucking
    @JoeMarsden said:
    " @Killjoy: I'm running games like Grim Fandango, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale without a problem on Windows 7 x64. "
    Sweet. I'm thinking to revisiting Grim Fandango again. 

Not to sound skeptic but I was wondering, what advantage do you get with x64 apart from more RAM and being "futureproof" ?
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mhkjtha

does anyone know if theres any way to turn off mouse acceleration in windows 7? (dont try to answer this unless you know what mouse acc is and how to turn it off in xp)

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Xelloss

Got Windows 7 today, I was pretty happy with windows Vista 64, but man Windows 7 just ripped that OS apart, I notice every change and detail they made and love it.  One thing that I wasn't sure I would like was the new taskbar, but playing around with it I love it.  Everything is quit and snappy, I think my comp is finally running the way it always should of.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i'll stick to my vista

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jmrwacko
    @bretthancock: Yo man Windows 7 is da shit. Also, it's not 10 times worse than XP like Vista.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By xplodedd
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i'll stick to my vista "
    me too, for now at least...
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Geno

Mine's in the mail, got it for free with my new PC. 

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CoverlessTech

I've been using it for a few weeks from MSDN as well. 64bit professional. Honestly? I don't see much difference from Vista. I don't really like the new bar and control panel is absolutly fucked.

Glad I only use windows for steam.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @xplodedd said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " i'll stick to my vista "
    me too, for now at least... "
    yup

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.