Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Xbox 360 Wireless controller use on Windows OS

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McPaper

Im trying to get my 360 wireless controller to work on my Vista PC. I am aware that a Microsoft Wireless Reciever is used in this process however I was also told that any standard wireless receiver type is suitable providing the right drivers are used.

Is anybody else aware of this? I have pressed the home button after installing the official drivers and I can manage to get the green light on the controller to stop flashing. However my computer detects no hardware changes.

Some help would be appreciated.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I have no idea about that, I've all ways been told that you need the wireless receiver since the 360 controller uses a proprietary wireless 2.4ghz
    and I just got done doing a search online and could not find any 3rd party or hacked drivers that allow it to work any wireless receiver.

secretrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By secretrob
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " I have no idea about that, I've all ways been told that you need the wireless receiver since the 360 controller uses a proprietary wireless 2.4ghzand I just got done doing a search online and could not find any 3rd party or hacked drivers that allow it to work any wireless receiver. "
    Microsoft does use a proprietary wireless signal and you need the receiver to be able to the 360 wireless controller with a PC.  I have a receiver and honestly, you are better off buying a wired controller and skipping out.  I have had so many issues with the drivers just stopping on me, or the controller randomly disconnecting. It's not worth the $19.99 for the receiver, when for $10 more you can get a wired controller.  (could just be I run x64)
    SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SoftCoreDave

If you have one of the charging kits for the 360 controller i think you can just pop it straight into a usb port and boom your away. Unless you really want to use it wirelessly of course.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Torrim

Do you own a wired controller?  It's always good to have one laying around, especially if you don't have a play and charge kit.  I ran out of batteries during Bioshock once, and it wasn't pretty.  I have a wired controller for the PC and it's just less hassle than trying to set up any of my wired controllers with the PC.  Get the PC specific one too, because trying a wired 360 controller that didn't come in the GoW package didn't go as smooth. 

At least this is all my experience.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60
    @bigdave184 said:
    " If you have one of the charging kits for the 360 controller i think you can just pop it straight into a usb port and boom your away. Unless you really want to use it wirelessly of course. "
    No you can't, the charging kit wont work because it only charges the battery, it doesn't transfer any data.
    McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By McPaper

ok thanks for the replies guys

AtomicPlayboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AtomicPlayboy

What about getting this to work with the type of wireless receiver that Microsoft wireless keyboards and mice use?  I've got a Wireless Desktop 5000 setup, and the receiver looks an awful lot like the one they sell for 360 controllers.  Same company, maybe same proprietary wireless protocol?  Anyone?

Xelloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xelloss
    @magus91 said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " I have no idea about that, I've all ways been told that you need the wireless receiver since the 360 controller uses a proprietary wireless 2.4ghzand I just got done doing a search online and could not find any 3rd party or hacked drivers that allow it to work any wireless receiver. "
    Microsoft does use a proprietary wireless signal and you need the receiver to be able to the 360 wireless controller with a PC.  I have a receiver and honestly, you are better off buying a wired controller and skipping out.  I have had so many issues with the drivers just stopping on me, or the controller randomly disconnecting. It's not worth the $19.99 for the receiver, when for $10 more you can get a wired controller.  (could just be I run x64) "
    I have the Wireless gaming receiver and it works just fine 35+ hours with Last Remnant and well over 100s of hours with FFXI no random d.cs or anything.  Me and 2 other buds were playing with 3 controllers with Trine the other day and worked great.  Sounds like you just have a bad receiver or somethings wrong with PC.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @Torrim said:
    " Do you own a wired controller?  It's always good to have one laying around, especially if you don't have a play and charge kit.  I ran out of batteries during Bioshock once, and it wasn't pretty.  I have a wired controller for the PC and it's just less hassle than trying to set up any of my wired controllers with the PC.  Get the PC specific one too, because trying a wired 360 controller that didn't come in the GoW package didn't go as smooth.  At least this is all my experience. "
    The Xbox 360 and the windows version of the controllers are identical. Just different package.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.