Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Penny Arcade

Franchise »

Penny Arcade, originally a webcomic by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, is also an episodic series of role-playing games developed by Hothead Games and later by Zeboyd Games.

Adventures of Me: At a Penny Arcade book signing

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

Edited By apathylad

I was smiling here, and I'm the one called Apathylad!

I have wanted to write a new blog post for awhile now, but I have spent most of my time playing video games and worrying about school. This week Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins were at a book signing at a Barnes and Noble to promote The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade: The 11 1/2 Anniversary Edition. Since the Barnes and Noble store was on my way home from school, I figured I might as well stop by. 

I suppose I am a casual fan of Penny Arcade, in that I did not read their material regularly until a few years ago. I am not a member of the press or anything like that, so I have never been to any of their conventions…or to a video game, anime, or comic book convention in general. Watching most of their fans was a pretty surreal experience, in that most of the people lining up looked like they were in their thirties, and then there was me feeling like I was a kindergartner entering a junior high, which is also partially due to the fact I’m pretty short in stature.

A Trick of Retrospective
     A Trick of Retrospective

The Q&A session was pretty amusing. Holkins hinted that there will be some news of Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 3 at PAX East. While on the subject of PAX, one person in the audience asked if there were going to be any new diseases spread at PAX East (you may recall that some people contracted the swine flu at PAX 2009). Most of the questions and comments are what you would expect, such as “Did you ever feel that your web comic was going to get as big as it did?” “What games are you looking forward to?” “What is your personal favorite strip that you made?” “Are there any other web comics that you enjoy?” For the last two questions ‘A Trick of Retrospective’ was mentioned, and for the latter question, a fan shouted “Ctrl+Alt+Del!”, which produced a few ironic chuckles.  

Now, did I ask a question? No, I couldn't really think of anything clever to say when they were signing books and all. That and with the long lines I was kinda dozing off, since I had a long day.

The official book title...

Overall I really like the look of the Penny Arcade Hardcover, but unfortunately the thing does not fit vertically on my bookshelf. o_O 
    If you’re a fan of Penny Arcade, or you are new to them but want to find out why they are so popular, I definitely recommend picking up the book. I paid about $24 for it at the Barnes and Noble, but you’ll find it for a much lower price on Amazon if you’re on a budget. From what I have read, there are a lot of memorable moments covered in the book, such as their feud with Jack Thompson, and you see the evolution of Krahulik's art as a whole.

So that’s all for now, I might continue posting these blogs in the hopes my literary skills will improve. Anyway, thank you for reading.

...and here's the real title

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By apathylad

I have wanted to write a new blog post for awhile now, but I have spent most of my time playing video games and worrying about school. This week Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins were at a book signing at a Barnes and Noble to promote The Splendid Magic of Penny Arcade: The 11 1/2 Anniversary Edition. Since the Barnes and Noble store was on my way home from school, I figured I might as well stop by. 

I suppose I am a casual fan of Penny Arcade, in that I did not read their material regularly until a few years ago. I am not a member of the press or anything like that, so I have never been to any of their conventions…or to a video game, anime, or comic book convention in general. Watching most of their fans was a pretty surreal experience, in that most of the people lining up looked like they were in their thirties, and then there was me feeling like I was a kindergartner entering a junior high, which is also partially due to the fact I’m pretty short in stature.

A Trick of Retrospective
     A Trick of Retrospective

The Q&A session was pretty amusing. Holkins hinted that there will be some news of Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 3 at PAX East. While on the subject of PAX, one person in the audience asked if there were going to be any new diseases spread at PAX East (you may recall that some people contracted the swine flu at PAX 2009). Most of the questions and comments are what you would expect, such as “Did you ever feel that your web comic was going to get as big as it did?” “What games are you looking forward to?” “What is your personal favorite strip that you made?” “Are there any other web comics that you enjoy?” For the last two questions ‘A Trick of Retrospective’ was mentioned, and for the latter question, a fan shouted “Ctrl+Alt+Del!”, which produced a few ironic chuckles.  

Now, did I ask a question? No, I couldn't really think of anything clever to say when they were signing books and all. That and with the long lines I was kinda dozing off, since I had a long day.

Overall I really like the look of the Penny Arcade Hardcover, but unfortunately the thing does not fit vertically on my bookshelf. o_O 
    If you’re a fan of Penny Arcade, or you are new to them but want to find out why they are so popular, I definitely recommend picking up the book. I paid about $24 for it at the Barnes and Noble, but you’ll find it for a much lower price on Amazon if you’re on a budget. From what I have read, there are a lot of memorable moments covered in the book, such as their feud with Jack Thompson, and you see the evolution of Krahulik's art as a whole.

So that’s all for now, I might continue posting these blogs in the hopes my literary skills will improve. Anyway, thank you for reading.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hot_Karl

Awesome. I went to Comic-Con last year and got a chance to meet Jerry & Mike at their booth. They're pretty cool guys, but they did seem like they were worn out from the multiple fans over the 4 day block at the convention.  
    They signed my book (the first one that they released) however, and we shot the shit for a while, so at the very least, they're A-OK in my book. Actually, more than A-ok because their strip is hilarious and the games are a ton of fun to play as well.

I just bought the second book at another comic expo this past weekend. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to Comic Con this year, but I'm planning to go to PAX. Hopefully I'll get my book signed there.

Oh, btw, where was the signing at? I remember looking at the list of tour dates, but I forgot where they're stopping. I heard they were coming to San Mateo, which sucks since I'll still be stuck in Irvine then.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By apathylad
    @VinceNotVance: 

It was on Thursday in Huntington Beach, which is relatively close to Irvine, and on my way home up the 405.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.