Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Perfect Dark

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released May 22, 2000

Perfect Dark is a first-person shooter for the Nintendo 64 and the spiritual successor to the 1997 smash hit GoldenEye 007.

Timesplitters similarity?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysteriousBob

Does this play anything like the Timesplitters games? I ask because Free Radical- now CryTek UK- were originally from Rare. If it does, I'll be sure to get this on XBLA as TS is one of my favourite FPS games of all time.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

I think it plays more like Goldeneye. But...the three games have their similarities in FPS style. So yeah, I'd say it plays like Timesplitters.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Level design is like Goldeneye and so are the general gameplay mechanics / feel of the game. However, the multiplayer options, weapons, music selecting, characters, and custom settings have a Timesplitters vibe. I'm fond of the weapons variety myself.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " I think it plays more like Goldeneye. But...the three games have their similarities in FPS style. So yeah, I'd say it plays like Timesplitters. "
    I should point out that I've never played GoldenEye. Not for longer than 10 minutes though. About 10 years ago. So I guess this leads me to ask- does GoldenEye play like TS?
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By bed
    @MysteriousBob: time splitters was created by the same dudes who made goldeneye, so TS has the Goldeneye feel to it (or the other way around). from the little i've played of time splitters, i can say they're similar in the whole vibe department. 
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bubahula

every time i see something about timesplitters it always makes me sad there wont be another :(

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

They're similar. You'll enjoy the purchace. Try the demo first.

Bogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bogle

Hi Bob.  I think I can help :).  Initially Rare made Goldeneye and of course had epic success with it.  When they did so, the Bond license was relatively cheap because the movies hadn't been doing as well.  But Goldeneye was a great movie and a big success so the license suddenly became more expensive.  While Rare could afford this, they thought, "Why not just make our own franchise?"  And that's what they did.  It feels the same as Goldeneye because it's using the Goldeneye engine, though moderately improved.  It has the same shield indicator and...well it's really a sequel of sorts so little is changed.  It had so so much more than Goldeneye did, but like most people...I felt there was just something more fun about Goldeneye's campaign mission.  Even so, Perfect Dark was a fantastic game employing not only co-op, but counter-op!  Your opponent becomes a low level enemy with limited health and ammo.  You can still push tables against doors and such.  And if you die, you just become another enemy.  You'd want a head shot to stop your enemy.  I could go on about this games greatness...  Using a code you can also unlock 100% of the weapons from Goldeneye and several of the Goldeneye maps can be unlocked.  PD tried to be bigger than it was with graphics and took a ram booster to operate, but it still had frame rate issues.  But let me get more specific to your particular question...  After a while, Rare was purchased by Microsoft.  They had always been in bed with Nintendo so this was a huge change.  Many layoffs and firings took place.  In fact...most of the Goldeneye team were released.  Looking for a new home, these employees formed "Free Radical."  They then created the wonderful Time Splitters series.  But they wanted the world to know who they were, so the first mission of the first game looks VERY similar to the first in Goldeneye.  They even created an almost identical shield/health indicator to what they had in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.  And just like those games, Time Splitters was great.  Ultimately, I like the N64 games better, but there's a big difference in favor of TS.  Being a latter generation game, it uses a better control mechanic with the controller.  Will they revamp PD to follow this?  They better!  And therein lies the question....how will it feel if they do?  A control mechanic will promptly make or break a game.  Love or hate the Halo franchise, the controls are phenomenal.  It doesn't look as good as COD, but it controls better than anything out there.  So....yes it will be like Time Splitters and in my opinion, considerably better........if they can make it feel modern.  Everything else about the game is already.....wait for it.....perfect.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @Bogle said:
    " Hi Bob.  I think I can help :).  Initially Rare made Goldeneye and of course had epic success with it.  When they did so, the Bond license was relatively cheap because the movies hadn't been doing as well.  But Goldeneye was a great movie and a big success so the license suddenly became more expensive.  While Rare could afford this, they thought, "Why not just make our own franchise?"  And that's what they did.  It feels the same as Goldeneye because it's using the Goldeneye engine, though moderately improved.  It has the same shield indicator and...well it's really a sequel of sorts so little is changed.  It had so so much more than Goldeneye did, but like most people...I felt there was just something more fun about Goldeneye's campaign mission.  Even so, Perfect Dark was a fantastic game employing not only co-op, but counter-op!  Your opponent becomes a low level enemy with limited health and ammo.  You can still push tables against doors and such.  And if you die, you just become another enemy.  You'd want a head shot to stop your enemy.  I could go on about this games greatness...  Using a code you can also unlock 100% of the weapons from Goldeneye and several of the Goldeneye maps can be unlocked.  PD tried to be bigger than it was with graphics and took a ram booster to operate, but it still had frame rate issues.  But let me get more specific to your particular question...  After a while, Rare was purchased by Microsoft.  They had always been in bed with Nintendo so this was a huge change.  Many layoffs and firings took place.  In fact...most of the Goldeneye team were released.  Looking for a new home, these employees formed "Free Radical."  They then created the wonderful Time Splitters series.  But they wanted the world to know who they were, so the first mission of the first game looks VERY similar to the first in Goldeneye.  They even created an almost identical shield/health indicator to what they had in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.  And just like those games, Time Splitters was great.  Ultimately, I like the N64 games better, but there's a big difference in favor of TS.  Being a latter generation game, it uses a better control mechanic with the controller.  Will they revamp PD to follow this?  They better!  And therein lies the question....how will it feel if they do?  A control mechanic will promptly make or break a game.  Love or hate the Halo franchise, the controls are phenomenal.  It doesn't look as good as COD, but it controls better than anything out there.  So....yes it will be like Time Splitters and in my opinion, considerably better........if they can make it feel modern.  Everything else about the game is already.....wait for it.....perfect. "
    Haha, i see what you did there ; )

Perfect description of the game right here.  Perfect Dark is my favorite FPS of all time so far.

Is it released for XBOX Live yet? If so i HAVE to pick it up.
    matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By matrix_hiei

Timesplitters went in a different direction, especially in the pacing, but there are definitely similarities. As a fellow TS lover, I image that you'll enjoy this.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yeah they are similar....Timesplitters: Future Perfect is my favorite shooter of all time actually.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

If you haven't played Perfect Dark, you need to play the XBLA version when it comes out! Apparently there are two new control modes, one is for people who are used to Halo and the other is for people who are used to CoD. The default is the original (and hopefully superior if they can pull it off with the 360 controller) controls. Ken Lobb was showing it off with Jeff in one of the X10 videos, go take a look. The game looks to be coming together amazingly well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.