Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 28, 2013

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a sequel to the original Persona 4 Arena. It has new characters, new stages and several new gameplay related changes such as new moves.

Um, guys? Persona 4 Arena Ultimax came out yesterday.

Avatar image for theindomitablesnowman
    TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You gonna look into that? I was kind of looking forward to you guys explaining all of this crazy shit to Dan, Drew, Jason and Matt...

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was actually kinda wondering if there was gonna be a Jeff and Jason QL for this. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're just focused on next-gen stuff right now (which is what it sounded like on the bombcast)

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm sure they will get around to doing it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i would be shocked if we dont get some sort of video with either Jeff/Jason or Jeff/Dan doing a QL for the game this week.

was surprising to see them not even bringing up the game this week on the podcast though.

TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I genuinely think they forgot it came out; like fluke said, they didn't even mention it on the bombcast when they were talking about the new releases. Seems like a big thing to forget, since they've posted multiple videos on the site, but there's been a lot of stuff going on in the news, I wouldn't be surprised if it got lost in the flood of loot caves.

Simzyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Perhaps they didn't even realize it came out. I do really hope they do a video on it though. Wonder if any of them will play it and the upcoming Persona Q. Closest thing to a Persona 4-2 that Jeff wants.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

You gonna look into that? I was kind of looking forward to you guys explaining all of this crazy shit to Dan, Drew, Jason and Matt...

Have you made a forum thread (in the wrong forum, I might add) and worded it as if you're speaking to the Giant Bomb staff? Without any indication that you're directing it to them and not the forum users who are reading this? That is incredibly weird.

TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have a good point. I just figured there was a better chance of it being seen here.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@theindomitablesnowman: The forums are set up in such a way that most recently commented in threads show up first, no matter what section they are in.

TheIndomitableSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh. That's neat. Well, I've said my piece, so I can just let this thing die off, sorry if I put it in the wrong space or whatever. Figured going hat in hand for specific site content was about as general as discussion got.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By emfromthesea

Did Vinny play the first Persona 4 Arena? I'd like to see him do a quick look of this game.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, game's just a mediocre fighting game with a visual novel story. It even lets yo automate story fights. It's not even a game at that point

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

@sunbrozak said:

Did Vinny play the first Persona 4 Arena? I'd like to see him do a quick look of this game.

I don't think so. It sounded like Jeff was the only one who played it at all.

@mcfart said:

Meh, game's just a mediocre fighting game with a visual novel story. It even lets yo automate story fights. It's not even a game at that point

It's a great fighting game actually. Unfortunately the GB staff has absolutely no interest in anime fighters, so it is pretty much a visual novel for them, sadly.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrfluke

@zeik said:

@sunbrozak said:

I don't think so. It sounded like Jeff was the only one who played it at all.

@mcfart said:

It's a great fighting game actually. Unfortunately the GB staff has absolutely no interest in anime fighters, so it is pretty much a visual novel for them, sadly.

well

(1) yea vinny never played it, but this game apparently has $10 dlc that will basically let you play through the events of the 1st Persona 4 arena, and the main story does reference the 1st games events by itself. So Vinny could jump in with this game if he wants.

(2) Jeff reviewed the 1st Persona 4 Arena and liked it and played it a bit beyond reviewing it, and he usually has no interest in arc fighters. and Jason is their fighting game guy, and when i talked to him at pax, he was interested in P4 Arena Ultimax.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

@mrfluke: Jeff mostly liked it as a story continuation of Persona 4 along with the overall Persona aesthetic. He clearly does not care much for this style of fighter, even if he doesn't outright hate it. I think it's mostly that he's able to be relatively objective and recognize the good qualities of the game, even if they aren't necessarily for him.

I would be curious to see Jason's point of view, but my impression he's also more into the Street Fighters than stuff like this, but I could be wrong.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason said on Twitter a few days back that he'll sit in on the QL. He's been playing it a fair bit. So my guess would be a Jeff/Jason/maybe Dan QL.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure he played it at some point. I remember him talking about Labrys' accent. It might be time to search for Persona in the bombcast archives and listen to those old eps.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Jeff just hasn't gotten around to it what with his past few weeks and him playing Forza Horizon 2 for a review more than likely. He'll hopefully get around to it this week because I'd like to hear what he thinks of the story which I'm super digging so far.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I wish I could buy this as a cheaper upgrade from P4A. Even if the game has so much content that it 's completely worth the 60 dollars, I'm just used to the model Street Fighter 4 has gone off of for the last few years, and I've been pretty fond of it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@kiemoe said:

I wish I could buy this as a cheaper upgrade from P4A. Even if the game has so much content that it 's completely worth the 60 dollars, I'm just used to the model Street Fighter 4 has gone off of for the last few years, and I've been pretty fond of it.

It's a sequel not a revision though.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiemoe said:

This is a full on sequel, not a revision. 9 new characters. Shadow character variations. New 15+ hour story mode. Tons of new stages. Tons of new music. Significant gameplay changes. Golden Arena Mode, in addition to the changes to Score Attack.

It's a bit silly to expect this game to be some $15 downloadable update. In fact, it'd be impossible.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I downloaded Adachi and Marie for free even though I have no plans on getting this game until it's cheap. $60 for a fighting game I am terrible at does not seem like a fantastic proposition at the moment, but when it drops a bit I will be fully on board.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think they are all too busy stabbing people in Shadows of Mordor.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm gonna wait for it to drop in price. As much as I wanna check out the story asap I've realized that that is all I wanna do, so paying 60 bucks for a fighting game I don't plan on playing a lot just isn't too appealing for me right now. Not to mention I'm a broke ass college student who has no time to play video games anymore anyways. Saved up and bought Shadow of Mordor, played it for like 30 minutes and said yeah this seems pretty rad, now back to studying.

I was so tempted by those tarot cards from preordering though, kinda wish I had em :(.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teddie

@kerse said:

Yeah I'm gonna wait for it to drop in price. As much as I wanna check out the story asap I've realized that that is all I wanna do, so paying 60 bucks for a fighting game I don't plan on playing a lot just isn't too appealing for me right now.

As someone in the same position who instead pulled the trigger and picked this up, you made the right choice. I'm struggling to get through P3 side of the story as there isn't really much payoff for what they set up in the last game, and it's not nearly as creative a set up (they actually managed to make the P1 tournament bland and honestly, I forgot there even was a tournament 90% of the time).

Sorry I kind of went off on a rant there. It'll definitely be worth picking up at half price or something.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Another day, another topic asking for "why isn't this game covered?" They'll get to it, guys.

And I'm actually really glad Jason's around to go more in depth this time around.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

id be really surprised if Jeff doesnt like the story in this game. aside from the dancing game, if this is the last meaningful story the persona 4 characters are a part of, they get a great sendoff.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mosespippy

@kerse said:

Yeah I'm gonna wait for it to drop in price. As much as I wanna check out the story asap I've realized that that is all I wanna do, so paying 60 bucks for a fighting game I don't plan on playing a lot just isn't too appealing for me right now. Not to mention I'm a broke ass college student who has no time to play video games anymore anyways. Saved up and bought Shadow of Mordor, played it for like 30 minutes and said yeah this seems pretty rad, now back to studying.

I was so tempted by those tarot cards from preordering though, kinda wish I had em :(.

The tarot cards seem to be packaged in with the first printing, so you could still pick them up.

I downloaded Adachi and Marie for free even though I have no plans on getting this game until it's cheap. $60 for a fighting game I am terrible at does not seem like a fantastic proposition at the moment, but when it drops a bit I will be fully on board.

Don't let being terrible at it stop you. I'm 4-96 in the online so far and even I managed to go through the first 10 levels of Score Attack without losing a round. Golden Arena mode is a blast too. Leveling up characters so they do more damage or have more HP, etc is cool and it's pretty easy at the start as well. Of course, you end up with this super over powered character which makes you think you're better than you are. Then you hop into online and get your ass kicked because you aren't used to standard characters.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By hermes

I think the crew may see it as a game too similar to is predecessor to cover... besides, few people even knew this game was released (I certainly weren't until I saw this thread), so it is quite possible it went right under their radar.

Personally, I don't think I will get this game until it gets really cheap. I am still burned by the last one having a 40+ hours story mode ending with a "to be continued...". After that kind of investment, I was expecting a little more closure.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

I think the crew may see it as a game too similar to is predecessor to cover...

Didn't they cover Ultra Street Fighter IV, which is much more similar to its predecessor?

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Having Dan anywhere near this QL would be a bad idea. Prolly shouldn't be in the building. If he is, it's going to be Nuclear Hogan Turn Heat.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@fluxwavez said:

@hermes said:

I think the crew may see it as a game too similar to is predecessor to cover...

Didn't they cover Ultra Street Fighter IV, which is much more similar to its predecessor?

It is also much more popular. I think Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat get a pass because Jeff is a massive fan of those series. For them to cover every iteration of Persona 4 Arena would be to ask them to cover every iteration of Blazblue or King of Fighters.

Besides, I really can't stress enough how low-toned this release feels. Certainly less noticeable than the previous game. I even 100% the previous game, and weren't made aware of how close this release was until quite recently. By that time, during the last game, they even got a couple Atlus guys to make a QL with them. I believe its entirely possible they didn't noticed, and Atlus never sent them a review copy.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrfluke

Man, a week went and pass and nothing from either GB offices on this game. quite surprised.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

Man, a week went and pass and nothing from either GB offices on this game. quite surprised.

It might not be a relatively big enough or noteworthy release for them to pay attention to.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

It might not be a relatively big enough or noteworthy release for them to pay attention to.

i see what your saying, but that endurance run of Persona 4 was in my opinion the breakout hit for the site during the early days, and Jeff liked the first Persona 4 Arena mainly for how it continued the story for those characters.

i mean it is what it is. its still a great game thats a great sendoff for those characters without their coverage, but im just surprised there's 0 mention of the game on the site.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

i see what your saying, but that endurance run of Persona 4 was in my opinion the breakout hit for the site during the early days, and Jeff liked the first Persona 4 Arena mainly for how it continued the story for those characters.

i mean it is what it is. its still a great game thats a great sendoff for those characters without their coverage, but im just surprised there's 0 mention of the game on the site.

For the former, even more reason for them to avoid it. Jeff's said several times in the past that he doesn't want GB to become "that Persona site." Sounded a weird note to me back then, but that's still a thing.

It's one of my favorite games of the year for sure but, yeah, it's still an anime fighting game that they might not feel the need to cover. Not that I expected there to be no mention of it, but hey. It's still a game that's getting critically well received and all, so there's that.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

For the former, even more reason for them to avoid it. Jeff's said several times in the past that he doesn't want GB to become "that Persona site." Sounded a weird note to me back then, but that's still a thing.

It's one of my favorite games of the year for sure but, yeah, it's still an anime fighting game that they might not feel the need to cover. Not that I expected there to be no mention of it, but hey. It's still a game that's getting critically well received and all, so there's that.

yea thats what im thinking as well, that endurance run is still brought up to this day as one of the very best things the site has done. which i can see be taken as a weird compliment.

and more to the point, the core people that would be the ideal combo for that QL (vinny/jeff) dont work in the same office anymore, so there is that as well.

and yea at the end of the day, the game is getting its praise from fans and critics without GB. hope it sells well enough.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@fluxwavez said:

@mrfluke said:

I bet Jeff really wants to play it but just hasn't found the time. I bet he plays it during the Thanksgiving break and talks about it on the bombcast after that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.