Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

20 minutes of game play from TGS

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By killroycantkill

Iplaywinner just posted some game play videos for the new Persona 4 fighting game. Check them out either here at Iplaywinner or in the videos below.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By themangalist

The art-style seems a little off. Given I spent dozens of hours watching Chie, I know better.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

THANK YOU SO MUCH ABEL

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By swoxx

That's cool. But please give me persona 4 remake or P5 for PS3. Okay thanks

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@themangalist said:

The art-style seems a little off. Given I spent dozens of hours watching Chie, I know better.

I wouldn't say it's off, but it's definitely very different compared to Persona 4's actual anime scenes. I believe this is a controversial opinion, but I actually prefer P4U's art style to Persona 4's, just based on the anime scenes. I didn't much care for the stick legs and body structure of the characters in Persona 4.

I posted these in the other thread, but here's a couple of gameplay vids from TGS courtesy of EGM Now, I believe:

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mutha3

@themangalist said:

Different artist. They haven't revealed who, and I don't recognize the style either.

Its not a bad interpretation of the characters, though. The only one who looks really off is Kanji.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mutha3

@FluxWaveZ said:

@themangalist said:

I wouldn't say it's off, but it's definitely very different compared to Persona 4's actual anime scenes. I believe this is a controversial opinion, but I actually prefer P4U's art style to Persona 4's. I didn't much care for the stick legs and body structure of the characters in Persona 4.

First thing's first, Persona 4's anime cutscenes didn't do the art style justice at all.

And Uhhh....your talking about the models in the game here, I hope, cuz no way in hell does the bolded describe Soejima's work.. Otherwise.

you crazy mang.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By nexas

Charlie's alt color is pimpin'

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mutha3: Nah, I'm exclusively talking about the anime scenes, since that's the easiest comparison to make, visually, to P4U's art style.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By themangalist

@mutha3 said:

@themangalist said:

Different artist. They haven't revealed who, and I don't recognize the style either.

Its not a bad interpretation of the characters, though. The only one who looks really off is Kanji.

Yes, compared to Soejima's "stills" of the characters (well the only one that always struck me as weird in Persona 4 was Yukiko). It's kinda unfortunate they don't have the same artist.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mutha3

@FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3: Nah, I'm exclusively talking about the anime scenes, since that's the easiest comparison to make, visually, to P4U's art style.

Oh.

Well, yeah, the fighting game models definitely look better than the butt-ugly PS2 models in P4 and the poorly animated cutscenes(still amazing that P4 managed to look great in spite of these things).

But if we're comparing this.....

P4U dude did a fine ass job.....But you can't compete with the master
    P4U dude did a fine ass job.....But you can't compete with the master

Also, the Persona team are supervising the visuals, so that's probably why this game looks so good. I love Blazblue, but outside of the great animation, it was hideous. Opposite problem of P4(great style, bad tech).

Best of both worlds!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mutha3: The character portraits definitely look awesome. Though, the Persona Team probably resigned to supervising the visuals because they're not experienced with fighting games, so I really do think ASW is the next best thing.

Oh crap, I realized I hadn't even mentioned that my problem lied with the anime scenes in my original post. Woops, now I get the confusion.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By killroycantkill

@dbz1995: LOL

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think that the art in the upcoming anime looks nicer than this and Persona 4's cutscenes, despite some rough animation once in a while, but that's probably just me. : )

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By AngelN7

I didn´t mind the Anime cutscenes in P4 I though they looked very clean specially the intro , its just and odd felling because there´s the P4 Art syle, P4U and the P4 anime all of them shown in a very short time span its weird to see the same thing in different styles , I really don´t mind all of them look great P4U is proabably my least favorite but the game looks really fun enough for me to care about not looking like I remembered from the game but the character "cut-ins" look kinda weird without the glasses though.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Good thing I'm awful at fighting games, because I would have no idea whether to main Kanji or Chie. Also, palette-swap Charlie is one slick-lookin' motherfucker.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Animasta

kanji's win animation is the best fucking thing, he is the best Persona 4 character anyone who says otherwise can get bent

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Turambar

The palette swaps just look so weird... Really wish they would go for broke and just give them different costumes. Spring and winter school uniforms. Cross dressing outfits for dlc is a must!

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Pepsiman

@Turambar said:

The palette swaps just look so weird... Really wish they would go for broke and just give them different costumes. Spring and winter school uniforms. Cross dressing outfits for dlc is a must!

Not sure if this is in any of the videos or not, but some of the color swaps I saw at TGS actually get as close to this idea as possible without having to make entirely new sprites. One of Yosuke's alternate color palettes, for example, emulates Persona 2's Michelle to an absurd extent. I thought that was a pleasantly nice touch.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Mars_Cleric

can Chie kick a tank in it?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Pepsiman said:

@Turambar said:

Not sure if this is in any of the videos or not, but some of the color swaps I saw at TGS actually get as close to this idea as possible without having to make entirely new sprites. One of Yosuke's alternate color palettes, for example, emulates Persona 2's Michelle to an absurd extent. I thought that was a pleasantly nice touch.

Yeah:

Still, I can understand what he means. Something about a Ganguro Chie just doesn't seem right.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nexas

@FluxWaveZ: Nothing about ganguros seems right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.